Made the Switch from Backpack to Messenger!

globe9

After reading the comments re a messenger bag I decided to get one as my back hurts constantly when and after I use my backpack. I started using a backpack when I went in the Peace Corps in 1991 and the back thing has just gotten worse with each year. To make my point, yesterday I went to the local Salvation Army store to buy some books and noticed a black messenger bag along with the purses. It was priced at 3.50 , was in good , clean shape so I decided to try it out . It cost me only 2.50 with the senior discount. I used it today and can not believe the difference in my back pain .I dont drive so I shop and carry things home myself. If the back stays even half as good a s it was today , it will be so wonderful and the best purchase I ever made. .

I am male and have been using a messenger bag for the last five years and love it. It is my personal item on the plane (fits under the seat perfectly) and my constant companion on day trips. It has zippers to protect the pockets (very important) and a rain cover that can unroll and fit over the bag to waterproof it. Easier to carry than a backpack and easier to get at stuff. Just be aware when walking in "risky" areas that you don't just drape the strap over one shoulder - too easy for a person on a bike or a fast runner to grab from you. Put the strap around one shoulder and pass from left to right side (or vice versa). Yes I know someone could grab it and you would be pulled down but I'll take that risk rather just dangle it off one shoulder which is more tempting for a thief.

Enjoy!!!

I work part time in a luggage store, we sell a lot of backpacks, messenger bags and murse bags. I think it really depends on the person and where you are traveling.

A messenger bag will be more secure, since you wear it towards the front of your body and there is a flap over the front of the bag, the better ones have a secure feature, like clasps, to prevent anyone from reaching in. A messneger bag is just as hands free as a backpack, I have no idea why the above poster had to hang onto theirs all the time.

Most backpacks are larger than messenger bags and many will have outside pockets. They are not as safe as messenger bags unless you turn the backpack and wear it in front of you, say on a crowded train in a large city.

It's really personal choice, there is no right or wrong.

I prefer a smaller cross body bag when traveling and avoid both backpacks and messenger bags. If you are the one carrying the large bag, everyone with you puts their crap in your bag, a smaller bag means they have to carry their own crap.

I think messenger bags have become more common/fashionable during the last few years, because most students carry laptops/netbooks now and messengers accomodate those better than a backpack.

I'm with you, Happy ks, I just take a small cross-body bag and everybody else can transport their own stuff. For my Med/Greece cruise last fall, I bought a PacSafe cross-body bag. Not attractive, but is slash/snatch proof with lots of pockets/organization.

To the OP, hope your choice does the trick!!

Archived