Victory Dropping Dominica-Cancellation Concessions

divers2

Gee, I was on a cruise where they ADDED a port! I really should have complained. I wanted sea days, that's why I booked that particular intinerary and I wasn't given the option of cancelling. :rolleyes:

Actually they dropped St. Martin and added 2 ports. I had picked this cruise because I wanted to go to St. Maarten. I was disappointed.

The key difference is that Carnival has tons of cruises that go to St. Maarten, but neither Carnival nor any of the other major cruise lines have any other cruises that do a port a day in the Caribbean with not a single sea day. If there were other reasonable alternatives, I think a lot fewer people would be upset (and those who remained upset would have less justification for their anger).

So when the cruise contract favors Carnival, you apply the contract, but when the cruise contract favors the passenger (even only slightly), it's completely okay for Carnival to just ignore the terms... why exactly?

Also, maybe this is an area where maritime law is different, but land-based businesses that collect taxes from their customers when no tax (or only a lower tax) is actually due are pretty attractive targets for class action lawsuits. For a recent example, see http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/lawsuits-claim-att-collects-illegal-taxes-on-internet-access.ars If Carnival is, in fact, refusing to refund the port fees and taxes for Dominica, any of the affected passengers have the option of making the right lawyer really happy :D

I have thought about that, but I am hoping to not be practicing law after November 2.

I'm sorry that so many people are disappointed that Dominica has been dropped. I hope that whether you stay on the Victory or cruise another ship, you will still be able to enjoy your vacation.

I'm actually going to go against the grain here and say that because of 1 less port, the Victory's itinerary looks more appealing to me now. I'm interested in seeing some of the southern Caribbean islands (Barbados, St. Lucia, etc.) My only hesitation was the lack of sea days. I love to have at least 1 day where I can sleep in, lay by the pool, walk around the ship, exercise, etc. Yes, I could do this while in port, but if I'm going to an island I've never been to and may never get to again, I'm going to get out and explore. Now that there is a sea day, I have my eye on this itinerary now.

I'm sorry that so many people are disappointed that Dominica has been dropped. I hope that whether you stay on the Victory or cruise another ship, you will still be able to enjoy your vacation.

I'm actually going to go against the grain here and say that because of 1 less port, the Victory's itinerary looks more appealing to me now. I'm interested in seeing some of the southern Caribbean islands (Barbados, St. Lucia, etc.) My only hesitation was the lack of sea days. I love to have at least 1 day where I can sleep in, lay by the pool, walk around the ship, exercise, etc. Yes, I could do this while in port, but if I'm going to an island I've never been to and may never get to again, I'm going to get out and explore. Now that there is a sea day, I have my eye on this itinerary now.

Join us on the Victory Jan 23, 2011.... we would love to have you party with us!!!!

I'm with gapearl... I have no desire to do a cruise so port intensive and I did want to check out some of the southern caribbean... I would never have considered the Victory cruise though before now... much too port intensive. I think it could even use another sea day to relax. In any case... this move has also made this cruise more appealing to me as well...

I just spoke with a friend who did the Victory this summer.... she said she wouldn't do it again... she was worn out by the end, and she said it was too much.

Add me to the list of those saddened by the loss of Dominica.... Were we there when the Destiny sailed from San Juan... Had the most memorable tour that we have ever taken while cruisin with Woody with "Off the Beaten Path"...

Before we booked our tour Carnival was doing Aruba on this same route... Dropped Aruba for Antigua because of "Fuel Considerations"... That I can believe.... But while Dominica is not the most cruiseship friendly place it did have its beauty.... I should be sorry to miss Dominica if we were to do the Victory route but we as cruisers are not Captains and Captains report to corporate bean counters, so they go where they are told to go...

The nation of Dominica will miss the once a week porting of a cruise ship no matter how the "locals" felt about it... Many thousands of dollars entered Dominica economy on these days and that country needs all the tourist dollars they can get....

If the truth be told Carnival most likely wanted to lower its docking fee and Dominica said no... Or vice a versa...

Have a good time in whatever you decide to do OP.... Boycott or not, that is a personal choice... The only person you answer to is your bean counter...

Joey & Pat

Archived