Fifteen hauled off the Destiny this AM in handcuffs...

Tom-n-Cheryl

Just off this morning, and heard this news from a porter. He said "you know it was a wild cruise when you get to work (meaning himself) and there's a Paddy Wagon at the terminal".

Reportedly for drunken fighting.

I called back onto the ship to see if Don (DGP1111) could dig up any more details (and confirm this as well).

Is it just me, or am I hearing this more and more lately? (particularly with Carnival)... Perhaps now they are taking a zero tolerance approach, so more of it becomes "public knowledge".

I fully agree with a strict enforcement - though I doubt thick headed people who instigate these kinds of events are really capable of learning... :rolleyes:

Tom

I agree about the class of people. It does seem that in the past few years that the groups going are not from the upper side of the spectrum. When people have no class such as those wearing wife beaters to the dining room, you are going to find a general lack of civility. I think Carnival needs to back away from their casual stance and go back to more formal. As the word spreads that casual is mainstream you will be attracting the really casual crowd. And from what I have seen in the past few years it is not a good one.

It makes me feel better to know they will reinforce the rules. I was on a college spring break cruise one time (will not do again) and it there was fighting, they carved into the doors of the glass elevators etc. etc. It was 2000 college kids and 1000 repeaters trying very hard to avoid them and not get hurt. This was 11 years ago and it seems that it would not be tolerated now. Very good....

Won't be long before there is a "bad part of town" on a cruise ship. A place were people don't feel safe after dark. It's sad. :(

Yikes. It's really hard to imagine them letting it get that far. It does seem as though it ain't that far-fetched.

How long before a MMA themed cruise is advertised?

but it has everything to do with Booze and stupidity...I've worked for years in a the special events security field and have had to deal with intoxicated people from every walk of life.. from the lowest of the low to the ones who nose is so far up in the air if it were upside down and raining they'd drown...booze and people who can not handle their liquour don't mix.In Manitoba we have a zero tolerance law and all of the bartenders have to take an alcohol service course to know when to cut someone off. but if someone is smuggling it on.. it creates a whole different source of problems since there is no real way to control how much they consume. If the person is getting agressive and can't sustain a civil conversation or their behavior is becoming unacceptable to others then by all mean confine them to the cabin until they sober up and confiscate all contraban but if they are violent lock them in the brig until the next port of call. this is just my humble opinion...

I don't think it was the alcohol to blame. It is the class of people.

Certain people get drunk and want to fight, but they are not the type of people who typically do well in life. Apparently they do well enough to afford to cruise on Carnival.

Geez, what a snotty thing to say... thats a generalization not a fact.

I agree about the class of people. It does seem that in the past few years that the groups going are not from the upper side of the spectrum. When people have no class such as those wearing wife beaters to the dining room, you are going to find a general lack of civility. I think Carnival needs to back away from their casual stance and go back to more formal. As the word spreads that casual is mainstream you will be attracting the really casual crowd. And from what I have seen in the past few years it is not a good one.

Geez, you too....

In Manitoba we have a zero tolerance law and all of the bartenders have to take an alcohol service course to know when to cut someone off. but if someone is smuggling it on.. it creates a whole different source of problems since there is no real way to control how much they consume. If the person is getting agressive and can't sustain a civil conversation or their behavior is becoming unacceptable to others then by all mean confine them to the cabin until they sober up and confiscate all contraban but if they are violent lock them in the brig until the next port of call. this is just my humble opinion...

I totally agree. And my reference to "class" meant how someone acts and not their station in life. Sorry if that sounded bad, probably a bad choice of words on my part.

I agree the best way to handle it is to have the ships staff, particularly security and bar staff, recognize when someone has had too much and cut them off.

As for smuggling, if a person's behavior is causing trouble, I think the security staff should search the cabin and confiscate any liquor.

It's good think that no search warrant is needed on a cruise ship, don't you think? If Carnival wanted to stamp this stuff out, they could.

I totally agree. And my reference to "class" meant how someone acts and not their station in life. Sorry if that sounded bad, probably a bad choice of words on my part.

I agree the best way to handle it is to have the ships staff, particularly security and bar staff, recognize when someone has had too much and cut them off.

As for smuggling, if a person's behavior is causing trouble, I think the security staff should search the cabin and confiscate any liquor.

It's good think that no search warrant is needed on a cruise ship, don't you think? If Carnival wanted to stamp this stuff out, they could.

no harm no foul..I think we are on the same page Salty dog:D

Actually it was reported that all 15 people kicked off, all wore tuxes to the MDR. There goes your theory. Care to generalize even more?

Actually it was reported that all 15 people kicked off, all wore tuxes to the MDR. There goes your theory. Care to generalize even more?

Where they the Wait staff?

Altercations will happen everywhere in ant environment with any "class" of people.

By Carnival or any other business changing their business plan for an isolated incident that is represents such a small percentage of its total passenger count. would be crazy.

Any reasonable consumer would look at it the same way, as an isolated incident.

I don't think it was the alcohol to blame. It is the class of people.

Certain people get drunk and want to fight, but they are not the type of people who typically do well in life. Apparently they do well enough to afford to cruise on Carnival.

I totally agree. Booze while a catalysis is not the issue. The cheap rates are attracting low end pax. Soon there will be cruise drive by and collateral damage

Where they the Wait staff?

Altercations will happen everywhere in ant environment with any "class" of people.

By Carnival or any other business changing their business plan for an isolated incident that is represents such a small percentage of its total passenger count. would be crazy.

Any reasonable consumer would look at it the same way, as an isolated incident.

That may be a true statement....but with Carnival promoting itself as a family cruise line..."families" are not going to tolerate this. It is only :isolated: if it ISN'T on your cruise.....

I totally agree. Booze while a catalysis is not the issue. The cheap rates are attracting low end pax. Soon there will be cruise drive by and collateral damage

While I don't condone fighting of any kind...these kind of comments blow me away. WOW...

A couple of events out of 1000's cruising on a weekly basis is not really a cause for alarm. Take most any pro football game in the country and you got multiple arrested most every Sunday at the stadium. And that's for one day counting tailgating time for 60 to 80 thousand people. Whats Carnival got, maybe 25 to 30 thousand people cruising on a weekly basis, and that's for multiple days in a row. I do agree with the "class" or as some call it couth or decorum. Several cruises ago we had out then 5 year old daughter in the kids play area on deck which had a kiddy pool. There were about 10 little kids playing in the water with their folks sitting around getting some sun and relaxing. When a couple, who were old enough to be in their late 30s comes over nearby to get some sun. Pretty soon they start rubbing each other, then kissing, then finally grinding on each other. I gave my wife the look and she nodded her agreement. I then went over and informed them that this was a kids area and to take that kind of stuff back to their cabin. I said it loud enough so that everyone could hear. Several other parents chimed in with, "yeah" and " back to your cabin". The women looked horrified that she had been called on her behavior and beat a hasty retreat out of there. The guy tried to claim that kids need to see love in this world. I told him my 5 year did not need to see him grinding his lady friend and to take it else where.

"Class" or whatever you want to call it, those two had none!

Archived