Animal Preserve - Great to visit

ajball

When arriving at the dock, get a cab to take you to the Marinas Animal Rescue Center. It's about a 15 minute ride, and off the beaten path - this is a real adventure, not a tourist trap. Capt. Horace Strickland owns a small animal preserve, right on the ocean. He and his family showed us his property, and monkeys birds, tropical plants. We even got to feed a monkey with a bottle!They picked mangos from a big tree (ask to see his huge pole) and sliced them up for us. We spent about 2 hours there, you could spend more, but our ship was leaving. Our taxi driver took us there after getting us on a tour of the canal, which was great too.

Capt. Strickland asks for a $3 donation, but well worth it!

Sounds like a great idea. Did you feel safe just getting a cab right at the dock? I take it he waited for you while you did the canal tour and visited the rescue center. How much did your whole excursion cost, including the cab and both tours?

Thanks for the info., we won't be there until Dec. but I want to research all the possibilites, we are real animal/bird fans so we want to make the most of our short time in port.

The cab was $150 which included his time (about 5 hours) and using him as a guide. The driver took us to the canal trip and waited, then to the animal preserve and waited. Hiring a cab in ports to just drive around is generally $30 - $40 per hour, so this was reasonable. Plus he acted as our guide, we would not have found these wonderful adventures on our own.

I felt it was safe, but the cab ride did take us through some areas that were pretty run down.

The $150 included the canal trip, the $3 to Capt. Strickland was additional

Capt. Strickland and his family were showed us so much hospitality, I hope you can go. His email is gibsme@hotmail.com

• 4 years later...
When arriving at the dock, get a cab to take you to the Marinas Animal Rescue Center. It's about a 15 minute ride, and off the beaten path - this is a real adventure, not a tourist trap. Capt. Horace Strickland owns a small animal preserve, right on the ocean. He and his family showed us his property, and monkeys birds, tropical plants. We even got to feed a monkey with a bottle!They picked mangos from a big tree (ask to see his huge pole) and sliced them up for us. We spent about 2 hours there, you could spend more, but our ship was leaving. Our taxi driver took us there after getting us on a tour of the canal, which was great too.

Capt. Strickland asks for a $3 donation, but well worth it!

This is just the type activity I've been looking. Thanks for posting it. I also would like to do a round trip by boat on the canal from Moin. Do you know if that is available? Did you happen to note any areas for birding around Limon?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived