Would it scare you to go into port leaving the kids behind?

G&TQ

We went on our first criuse in January. We left both our girls - 15mos and 4.5yo in Camp Carnival. I had no worries at all. The got to enjoy themselves as did we. We were back to the ship by noon each time we did, but it was great to have some alone time.

I have been thinking about this issue as well. We're taking our kids on their first cruise in July. They will be 5 and 7. We won't be doing any excursions without them. If we missed the ship, I think it would be very traumatic for them. I don't worry about the care they will receive in the kids' camp. We'll be using it a lot when we're on board. I'd just rather have my kids with me, if we both leave the ship. Personally I don't count being within walking distance or a short cab ride in the shopping areas. I am thinking more of the hours long excursions where you are going a considerable distance from the ship.

I would also not have an issue leaving older children who are independent and mature. They are going to be able to cope just fine if the ship left without mom and dad.

• 1 month later...
If as a parent you choose not to leave your child in the kid's program because it isn't your preference or you are uncomfortable with the idea, that is perfectly understandable. However, there are many wonderful parents here who do use the option provided by the cruise line for safe and engaging child care while they visit a port and that is perfectly fine as well. I cannot believe that someone would imply that they are somehow irresponsible or selfish. Comments like that are completely out of line. It is fine to express an opinion about your personal preferences, but when your "opinion" comes across as a clear and very critical judgment regarding another person's parenting style it is just thoughtless.

I agree with the above. I'm an only parent and never get time to myself (unless you call work time to myself). My daughter and I love to go on cruises (she's 4) because we get to do stuff together AND spend time alone (she gets tired of seeing me all the time too!).

On cruises, I plan some excursions with her (dolphin swims, beaches, etc) but also plan some alone (scuba diving, shopping). She loves the Kid's Clubs and would much rather be in there playing than shopping with me.

She even prefers to dine with the Kid's Club over going to the dining room with me :-(

I always have my cell phone with me (it roams worldwide) and always leave my number with the Camp for emergencies. I've never had any issues and am always back on the ship with several hours to spare before departure.

I say to all "Whatever Floats Your Boat" :D

It astonishes me that some children are still unable to leave their parents' side at age 12. If you'd let them off the lead, they'd surely be OK. It's certainly possible for a 4-year-old to find its way to school 3/4 of a mile away, and back, and home for dinner as well - 3 miles a day unaccompanied walking. I did it regularly. I'm not saying it's ideal for all children, because some of them may not be able to cope - but by 12 and 14, surely it's getting a bit late to untie the apron strings?

I see that many parents are absolutely terrified of being separated from their children on a cruise. No one has described a single documented terrible thing that has happened to an actual child while their parents are off the ship. Please ask yourself: What is the real, actual danger to your child?

On board our children are being cared for by real human beings who have hearts, and sometimes children of their own. They have 24 x 7 access to food and medical care. They are not predators just waiting for an opportunity to hurt your child. If something happens and the parents miss the ship's departure, the children will be cared for! They will not be instantly molested, put off unaccompanied at the next port, or thrown overboard. The ship has a procedure for this situation. Will the kids be scared, inconvenienced, cared for by a stranger? Of course. Kids are resilient, they will recover. A very young one will forget all about it. And they will be in a much better place than if they had been at your side when you got hurt!

As other posters have said, I think it depends a lot on the circumstances. I go with my young teen son. He likes some excursions and couldn't care less about others. What he really likes is wandering around the ship and eating pizza. He likes pizza. ;)

We started cruising when he was 11 and have now done it every year. He'll be 14 in May. I left him on the ship just last year but only because the port had a walk-off dock and all I did was a little shopping in town. I would be too nervous to do an excursion without him. But that's just me.

Archived