private snorkel excursion vs. ship's excursion

Mary Ellen1

Hi there.

We're making plans to snorkel in Cozumel in November (Carnival Freedom). I was just realizing that the cost for the ship's snorkel excursion is the same as that for private tours ($65). I'm thinking it's worth the extra cost (cab fare to the marina), to go with Eagle Ray Divers and get a smaller group, and more personalized experience, etc. Anyone ever done both? Is the ship's excursion really that horrendous in comparison?

Thanks.

Personally I would always rather take a private trip than go in a big group. Just make sure that after you take a taxi and check in at the dive shop they don't just put you on the same boat as the group being picked-up at the ship. Also some outfitters will not take cruise ship passangers who do not book through the ship to protect their contract with the ships.

Always been more satisfied with a privately booked tour than with the cattle calls offered by the ship.

Of course, you must do your homework. Plenty of threads on Cruise Critic that make this easy enough to do.

And.... you will generally save a significant amount of cash.

Hello There! We have done both and always prefer a private excursion to the ship's tour. This is not about saving money although in the Caribbean it often means you do. The extra time and effort it takes to research a private in advance weeds out a lot of people - especially beginning or nonchalant snorkelers. And even more importantly - most privates take out a smaller number depending on boat size and you can ask this upfront. Usually what happens to us is that we spend the exact same on the private but we go out on a boat with 2-6 other people instead of 12-20 other people. Fish and marine wildlife for the most part are scared away by thrashing hordes of people and if you aren't upfront in the snorkel line - you will miss a lot of things that will hide. Per Eagle Ray, check out my review for Carnival Legend for October 2009 - we liked the spots and the management was good, downsides - slow boat and our snorkel guide was not our favorite - the dive master was awesome (we don't dive but he was great to us). Would I go again with them? Probably! Do the 3-reef dive - its worth it! They will get you back to the Money Bar which is minutes by taxi to the pier and that is a spot where there are always taxis! I think the cab fare was like $15 there for four of us in a minivan like cab and like $8 back. We had about an hour to shop after the excursion. There were only two other snorkelers with us and two divers. They are a small operation and will not pick up many more folks than that - just clarify the maximum with anyone you email. Have fun! :)

Always been more satisfied with a privately booked tour than with the cattle calls offered by the ship.

Of course, you must do your homework. Plenty of threads on Cruise Critic that make this easy enough to do.

And.... you will generally save a significant amount of cash.

:confused: Not sure how I'll save money, since the private tour costs more than the ship's tour, with the added expense of cab fare to the marina & back. To your point, I am doing my homework. Thanks for your post.

Hello There! We have done both and always prefer a private excursion to the ship's tour. This is not about saving money although in the Caribbean it often means you do. The extra time and effort it takes to research a private in advance weeds out a lot of people - especially beginning or nonchalant snorkelers. And even more importantly - most privates take out a smaller number depending on boat size and you can ask this upfront. Usually what happens to us is that we spend the exact same on the private but we go out on a boat with 2-6 other people instead of 12-20 other people. Fish and marine wildlife for the most part are scared away by thrashing hordes of people and if you aren't upfront in the snorkel line - you will miss a lot of things that will hide. Per Eagle Ray, check out my review for Carnival Legend for October 2009 - we liked the spots and the management was good, downsides - slow boat and our snorkel guide was not our favorite - the dive master was awesome (we don't dive but he was great to us). Would I go again with them? Probably! Do the 3-reef dive - its worth it! They will get you back to the Money Bar which is minutes by taxi to the pier and that is a spot where there are always taxis! I think the cab fare was like $15 there for four of us in a minivan like cab and like $8 back. We had about an hour to shop after the excursion. There were only two other snorkelers with us and two divers. They are a small operation and will not pick up many more folks than that - just clarify the maximum with anyone you email. Have fun! :)

Thanks snorkelingsearchers! Just the kind of info I was looking for. So they combined snorkelers & divers? How was that? Did you like that, or would you rather have been on a boat with just snorkelers? The 3-reef dive is the one we're looking at.

We've gone with Roswitha of Mystic Snorkeling once before (& had a great tikme!), but she needs a group of at least 4, and there are only 2 of us this trip.

Thanks!

Case in point on saving money on excursions.

In 2007 we took Crown Princess which stopped in Aruba. One excursion offered was "Harleys in Paradise. It was in the neighborhood of $350 for the tour.

The same cycle shop contacted on my own offered the Harley rentals for well less than half of what was being charged by Princess.

Even with the cab ride, a huge savings could be had with a bit of reseach on my own.

Always compare apples to apples when shopping prices for excursions.

We have done both in Cozumel an have had a good time on both options. The nice thing about the private charter is you are with a small group. In Cozumel we have not had a problem with an over crowded boat but we have in other places. If you are a beginner snorkeler that likes the "safety in numbers" concept go with the ships tour. If you are an experienced snorkeler I would recommend doing the independent operator.

We have done both in Cozumel an have had a good time on both options. The nice thing about the private charter is you are with a small group. In Cozumel we have not had a problem with an over crowded boat but we have in other places. If you are a beginner snorkeler that likes the "safety in numbers" concept go with the ships tour. If you are an experienced snorkeler I would recommend doing the independent operator.

Thanks, Flying Pirate. Good point re: experienced snorkeler vs. novice. We're experienced, though far from expert. I don't want to be snorkeling with a herd of others who are scaring all the fish away!

• 5 weeks later...
MaryEllen:

Re needing more people to do a private tour: Go to your Roll Call board and ask whether anyone would like to join you. We arranged a tour that way on one of our cruises.

Thanks sharks48. Already tried that, but got no takers. Roswitha of Mystic Snorkeling wouldn't take my reservation for only 2 travelers, but Eagle Ray Divers did, so we're booked with them. :D

My sister, her SO and I went with Roswitha of Mystic Snorkeling in January and it was a great trip. If she has other people signed up, then she'll take you. There were two others from our ship, along with 2 not on the ship. Great snorkel spots in Cozumel.

My sister, her SO and I went with Roswitha of Mystic Snorkeling in January and it was a great trip. If she has other people signed up, then she'll take you. There were two others from our ship, along with 2 not on the ship. Great snorkel spots in Cozumel.

Thanks TraceyP. I actually snorkeled with Roswitha in Nov. of 2008, and it was FABULOUS. But we had a bigger group -- I think there were 7 of us in my group, as well as 2 people from another ship. So this time, we're trying something new with Eagle Ray. We really enjoyed snorkeling in Cozumel!! :)

Hi there.

We're making plans to snorkel in Cozumel in November (Carnival Freedom). I was just realizing that the cost for the ship's snorkel excursion is the same as that for private tours ($65). I'm thinking it's worth the extra cost (cab fare to the marina), to go with Eagle Ray Divers and get a smaller group, and more personalized experience, etc. Anyone ever done both? Is the ship's excursion really that horrendous in comparison?

Thanks.

You answered your own question.:D

I always book with Eagle Ray (Chellie) when in Coz, next is December 15th. They are a first rate outfit.

I recommend booking the three reef trip. The shorter ones only go to the near shore reefs which were destroyed by Hurricane Wilma.

The marine life returned, but the coral is dead.

Fortunately, the off shore reefs such as Columbia, Palancar and Punta Sur remain releatively untouched.

As mentioned, Eagle Ray mixes divers and snorkelers. The boats are small, and never crowded.

Most important, there will be a separate guide for each group.

The guides are excellent, always seeking out the best spots for the day.

Thanks sharks48. Already tried that, but got no takers. Roswitha of Mystic Snorkeling wouldn't take my reservation for only 2 travelers, but Eagle Ray Divers did, so we're booked with them. :D

Hi MaryEllen, I'm Mic from CC roll call. I have been to Coz many times on both land and sea. The 3 reef tours are the best, I wouldn't do a ship excursion from Cozumel, too many people. I would be interested in sharing a snorkel trip with you, but I would also like some beach time. I am traveling with my 17 y/o daughter. We were going to go to Chankanob for the day, it's a marine park, dolfin encounters etc..., but we just snorkel and beach there. Nice place $13 admisssion. But last time I went they cancelled all water excursions because of rough water. Another time we went they had vendors on the docks selling snorkeling trips, we did a 3 stop trip and it was very good, no reservation required, 1/2 the price of Carnival and much less crowded. We got 35 more days to go. Mic.

Hi MaryEllen, I'm Mic from CC roll call. I have been to Coz many times on both land and sea. The 3 reef tours are the best, I wouldn't do a ship excursion from Cozumel, too many people. I would be interested in sharing a snorkel trip with you, but I would also like some beach time. I am traveling with my 17 y/o daughter. We were going to go to Chankanob for the day, it's a marine park, dolfin encounters etc..., but we just snorkel and beach there. Nice place $13 admisssion. But last time I went they cancelled all water excursions because of rough water. Another time we went they had vendors on the docks selling snorkeling trips, we did a 3 stop trip and it was very good, no reservation required, 1/2 the price of Carnival and much less crowded. We got 35 more days to go. Mic.

Hi Mic. We're all booked, deposit paid, with Eagle Ray Divers. Go ahead & book with them -- they get great reviews. I'll have to keep an eye out for the vendors on the docks & see if that looks good for next time we're in Cozumel. Might save some $$ next time, but this time, the $65 with Eagle Ray is the same price as the ship's snorkeling tour.

See you on board!

MaryEllen , You will definately have a better time with EagleRay than Carnival excursion. I got screwed on a dive trip thru Celebrity shore excursion in Bermuda, they changed the date of our dive. To compensate us they had room for us on a snorkel. It was filled with children and people who dont follow direction, walking on the boat with flippers on, falling on you, flippers in your face etc, no room for a deep breath on the boat or in the water. Did I say compensate??? They charged us $69 p/p for that excursion. NOw I did dive thru Carnival last Feb in Cozumel it was fine, and less expensive. Go figure. Mic

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there.

Thanks.

Hi ,we just got back from western caribbean in between Paula & Richard. the weather was picture perfect at every port. we booked our own tours and with the exception of grand cayman which had twelve people we were the only 4 on the rest of the tours and we had an awesome trip.we did a trip snorkel 2 years ago and it was awful. crowded and really didn't see very much but this time in cozumel we likened it to being in an aquarium. sooo many fish. our guide Jordon was wonderful.The private tours are usually somewhat cheaper.

...We were going to go to Chankanob for the day, it's a marine park, dolfin encounters etc..., but we just snorkel and beach there. Nice place $13 admisssion. ... Mic.

Mic, FYI - We went to Chankanaab on Oct. 27 and the admission price is now $19pp. We were waited on hand and foot, but the snorkeling was just okay.

Mary Ellen, our port stop to Belize was cancelled on this recent trip due to some damage from Hurricane Richard. Costa Maya was substituted and we were informed at 6pm (after reboarding in Roatan) the evening before. This left little option but to look for something ourselves when we arrived or book a ship excursion. We chose the simplicity of the ship's excursion and were reminded of reasons why we typically book a private tour.

We typically snorkel in many of our Caribbean port stops and have our own gear and consider ourselves at least intermediate to expert snorkelers, yet we waited for 20-30 minutes for the other 25ish people in our group to be fitted with gear, given instructions on how to wear each piece and basically how to snorkel. Then we were told we had to follow the guide through the water. After a few minutes of trying to extricate ourselves from the thrashing of the many beginners who did nothing but kick up sand and create a zero visibility area....we looked at each other and said, "this is not for us....now I remember why we don't do the ship's excursions".

We stayed on the fringes of the group so that we could actually see a little bit, but totally felt that we had wasted our money. Once the guide led the herd around, we were summoned out of the water.

We have done many private excursions and have even had a guide through the water, but never in a group of 25-30 and if beginners are in the group, the guides usually stay close to them but allow the more experienced folks to go more on their own.

For us, private excursions are not about saving money, but all about having a more personalized and enjoyable experience with a smaller group.

Archived