Select Dining?? Help Please

cookie1961

Hi everyone,

DH and I are booked on Summit next May for a one week cruise to Bermuda. We were really excited to book Select Dining, since I prefer early and DH prefers late seating.

We thought Select Dining would be a really good compromise. However, after reading LOTS of posts regarding Select Dining, I really feel we may have made a mistake :( People are complaining about the long waits and poor service for Select Dining.

We are really thinking we might change our reservations to Late seating. Does anyone think that all the bugs will be solved by next May for Select Dining or do you feel that this is likely a problem that will continue to exist?

Thanks so much for your input.

We did Select dining in March and found it to be just fine. After dinner the first night, we said what time we thought we would be down the next night and we had no problems. One night we waited about 10 minutes because we wanted table near the window. Otherwise, there was little wait time. This was in Blu, but doing anytime dining on Freedom of the Seas, again, no wait time. I should think if you can give them a time give or take 15-30 minutes, you should be fine.

Since you're not sailing until next May, just give it some time before you change your mind. We felt the overall MDR food on the Summit was not as good as on our 1st two X cruises (Century and Solstice). While a lot of cruisers have no issue with the food, there seem to be more compliants about Summit's than any other. But - you're not traveling for a while so don't worry about it.

We did Select Dining on the Summit this past May and have choosen it for our two upcoming cruises.

Pros: Dining when we wanted to. Meeting different people. Trying different sized tables (4, 6, and 8). Towards the end of the cruise going to dinner with people we'd met earlier in the week.

Cons: Didn't think the service was as good. Maybe they weren't used to juggling tables at different points in their meals. Select was still fairly new then.

Other: If you have a table/waiter you like you can ask to be seated there again. They will try to do this.

The Normandie (dinner, $35 extra pp) and Aqua Spa Cafe (breakfast and lunch, free) were wonderful!!!

Hope this helps,

Sara

Thanks so much for your input.

DH and I have decided to hold off changing things for a while and continue to monitor the boards for further comments about Select Dining!!

We are so lucky to be part of CC. The information provided here is truly so wonderful.

Thanks to everyone on this board!!

Archived