Sailing before dry dock

augusta78

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but has anyone sailed before a ship went into dry dock? Was the service as good and the food still as good? I have heard in the past that they don't carry as much on board and that the meats and some other foods weren't always of the best quality. Is that true? Seems to me that it wouldn't be any different. I mean they wouldn't want you unhappy and not wanting to return right? :confused:

We were the last sailing on the Glory before she went to dry dock. The service was great as always. The only problems we encountered were that the maintenance crews had started to demolish parts of the ship while we were sailing. The noise and inconvenience was a real problem. We would be on the lido deck by the pool and they were out there pulling all the speaker wiring out and hammering and making lots of noise. Pulling up carpet on the Promenade was real problem as well. when we docked in Miami, we observed about 20 large dumpsters that the workers were throwing stuff overboard into. We sent a letter to Carnival, who replied right away, giving us a discount on a future cruise with their apologies.

• 1 month later...

We just got home from our Cruise last week on The Inspiration[then she went to dry dock].

I found the food just fine and the service was good -other than a few[ or more] of the staff that I spoke to were really wanting to "just get this week over with" so they could get on with dry dock and then on to their new home port in L.A.

There were quite a few that we're leaving the ship and not returning and they had no problem expressing how they couldn't wait to get the "BLEEP" out of there...It just made for a bit of an uncomfortable spot to be in . Kind of like- "here's your hat, what's your hurry":rolleyes:

I was on the last sailing of the Miracle in Feb '09 before emergency drydock to fix a propulsion issue. If I didn't know the ship was going into drydock before the cruise I wouldn't have known about it based on the cruise itself. Everything was "normal".

Maybe there are some differences if it is a well planned drydock and they are doing some major remodel or something, maybe they will start a little early.

I didn't see any issue and we certainly did not run out of any food or drink. :)

We just got home from our Cruise last week on The Inspiration[then she went to dry dock].

I found the food just fine and the service was good -other than a few[ or more] of the staff that I spoke to were really wanting to "just get this week over with" so they could get on with dry dock and then on to their new home port in L.A.

There were quite a few that we're leaving the ship and not returning and they had no problem expressing how they couldn't wait to get the "BLEEP" out of there...It just made for a bit of an uncomfortable spot to be in . Kind of like- "here's your hat, what's your hurry":rolleyes:

We kind of felt that way on the Freedom last Nov. They wanted to start disembarkation at 0630 - which was fine with us as we had a 21 hour drive. But you could tell they wanted to get us off and get moving!

Archived