Will I be satisfied?

Melismass

I am an avid snorkeler and still enjoy it immensely, but I have decide to take the plunge and try scuba! Based on the itinerary of my next cruise and other excursions I already have planned, I have decided to do my intro dive at Chankanaab in Cozumel. Does anyone have any input? Will I be satisfied? I just don't want my first time to be a disappointment! Thanks for any opinions on this!

My first piece of advice is to relax and don't drink a bunch of coffee before you go:D

For a first dive, I can't think of a better place to make an impression than Cozumel. That is where I did my first ocean dives after I got certified in 1987. The visibility is usually the best you will find anywhere. There is usually very little current at Chankanaab, so it will be a very relaxed dive. They will probably keep you in the shallows, so you won't get to fully experience the beauty of the reefs, but it should be good enough to really get you hooked.

Enjoy!

There are many pics from our diving trips to Cozumel in our Gallery link below.

Mike

If you enjoy snorkeling you will really enjoy SCUBA diving. My advice is to skip eggs or anything greasy for breakfast. Eggs and boats don't go together for newbies. R-E-L-A-X and enjoy the ride (under the water that is). I dove Cozumel this last May and was blown away by her beauty under the sea....I was surprised to say the least...I have been diving for 17 years.

Have a great time and just DO IT!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you have both enjoyed the diving in Cozumel. I'm so excited to try it! I really believe that I will take to it well, I'm a pretty laid back person. The price is right too. Its only $60.00, which I thought was pretty cheap even if its only a non-cert. dive. Thanks for your input! I can't wait to come back and tell you all about it!

My first piece of advice is to relax and don't drink a bunch of coffee before you go:D

There are two kinds of scuba divers, those who have peed in their wetsuits and those who lie about it. ;):D

Melismass, I was a certified diver 30 years ago and had to put it all on hold when I married and started raising kids (6) and all the other things that go with life (not complaining at all mind you). My wife was always very skittish about diving or even snorkeling because of vision/eyeglass issues until I got her to try it on a cruise to Cozumel a few years ago. She loved that and tried it again in Grand Cayman and then tried snuba in Cozumel. She was frustrated with the snuba experience because she was limited in what she could do and eventually worked up the nerve to try scuba, thanks in large part to scuba diving coworkers of hers encouraging her to go. We took the scuba classes together and after a little experience and gaining confidence she absolutely loves it. Mind you this is after doing all her scuba diving in local lakes where 20 ft visibility is considered outstanding and 6 - 10 ft is more the norm. I can't wait to get her back to Cozumel in January (Elation - 01/15/11) for what will be the first ocean scuba experience for both of us. She is already talking about planning a scuba excursion for our next vacation! This is one time I HOPE I am creating a monster!:p

Anyway, go for it! If you like snorkeling you will probably love scuba. The only thing I can add is if you can afford the time and money consider getting certified before you go. If nothing else contact one or more local dive shops and see if they have a program where you can do a tryout dive in a pool. All our local shops offer that opportunity with prices ranging from $0 - $25 so I'm sure you could find something similar in your area. I bet it will whet your appetite for scuba.

Melismass,

You will have a great time. The best piece of advice I ever received was, "it is not a race." The slower and more methodical you are about everything, the easier things go. The easier things go the fast you get to scuba diving.

Usually when I'm diving in the Caribbean I take it easy and just float around. I see a LOT of marine life by just taking my time. When I get back on the boat I ask people if they saw all the things I did. Most people are racing all over the place and totally miss everything.

Have fun!

Archived