Currency

I will be on my first cruise in Jan 2011 Thomson Dream, Carabean. What I would like to know is, do I need to take some currency with me or do you get it on ship with your debit card.

You can get currency on board, but I believe it's a currency exchange i.e. it's a cash exchange not something you can put on your ship's card. Usually it's best to get your currency prior to departure (Post Office and M&S are commission free and often have good rates of exchange) as you can shop around for the best deals - once on the ship you have to pay whatever their exchange rate happens to be. Or you can get money from ATMs on shore - but may have to pay a bank fee for this. We found all the islands when on the Destiny took US $

Yes, I agree. It is better to get your currency from home before you go on your cruise.

When on the Celebration in May, we found that they didn't have enormous stocks of different currency. Also, we were told to have small denominations, but the reception didn't have any. They were all small.

We decided in future that the best thing to do is research what currency you will need, and order it from home previous to sailing.

I suppose for the Caribbean US dollars are the currency to take, especially low denomination bills, plus some euros for the french/dutch islands?

Hi dave, yes that's what we found. US$ were usually the price displayed - but just take care to ask for US dollars for your change if you can't offer the correct amount as otherwise they may give you local dollars which may not be of use to you at other ports of call. St Maarten was ok with US$ too but French islands can be rather fiercely independent and may not take anything other than Euros.

A lot of places the price is displayed in EC$. It makes it look dearer because it's approx 2 EC$ to 1 American$.

The ECs can be spent at all the Eastern Carribean islands so you are not really stuck with them if you get them as change (we used them in Antigua and Tortola) but Barbados has their own currency the Barbados $

All the islands took american dollars so no problem.

If you are going to Havana though you need to change stirling into their currency most probably ashore because you can't take their money out of the country

Thanks for your answers i have a better understanding of what we need to take.

Northwalescouple, we are sailing on the 13th as well, hope its a good holiday.:)

Hi Happy, Yea really looking forward to it I am Bryn and my wife is Sandra lets meet up for a few lol. I think the way to go is Dollars is that what your taking.

But AI its only the excursions we will be spending cash on really. Yes it is our second cruise and we have already booked the summer, Must admit we loved it on our first one fantastic.

Bryn

Archived