Gluten Free Pizza

a9753

I was just diagnosed with Celiac last week. Should I notify Princess in advance about my gluten free diet? What do they offer?

Definitely notifiy them about your special dietary requirements as soon as you can.

Sorry to the OP, but unless you might be able to request a GF pizza in the dining room (with notice), you will not find any at the pizza bar onboard.

Heather,

I was diagnosed a few years back with Celiac and have posted several times in response to those who have fears about being able to get gluten free food while cruising...you can use the search feature and find a ton of posts.

In short, I always add it to my personalizer and then send a fax with my diet needs about a month before we cruise.

The way it works is each evening the head waiter will stop by your table with the menus for the following days lunch and dinner and will assist you in ordering your meals..he will make suggestions to alter a dish or a replacement dish or sometimes offer a completely different choice..don't be afraid to ask for what you need or want. This applies for traditional seating and for anytime dining...they take your order and it is filed by your cabin number, when you are seated you tell your waiter you preordered a GF meal the night before and he will go to the maitre'd and retrieve your order. My experience is the bread and baked goods they have onboard are not very good..I am taking my own Canyon Bakehouse hamburger buns and a few slices of bread with me on my next cruise. If you tell your head waiter that you wish to eat in one of the specialty restaurants he will even help you with the menus for that dinner...they are trained and know what you can eat.

Good luck and have a wonderful GF cruise, Sissy

Thanks Toto, I upgraded to a suite so I could have room service!:D

OP, if you find out anything please let me know! THX!

Just watch those room service orders being GF. Dealing direct with the waiters and Maitre 'd in the dining room won't be a problem, but trying to call in a GF meal order might run you into a slight language barrier, including cross contamination!

Just watch those room service orders being GF. Dealing direct with the waiters and Maitre 'd in the dining room won't be a problem, but trying to call in a GF meal order might run you into a slight language barrier. Good luck though, including cross contamination!

TOTO!!! Don't kill my first suite high! :D You are right though! :o

Thank you so much Sissy. I will do a search! :)

Yes you can get GF pizza in the pizzeria on the ships, at least the Emerald and Ruby. Ask your head Waiter if he can ask the pizzeria to have one (or more) made up for you. Sometimes a little trial and error is needed, but they are getting better. We had a really great one last February on the Ruby (ask for Antonio at the pizzeria, if he is still there).

Does anyone have experience with Gluten Free Pizza offerings on Princess?

My DH has to eat gluten free. Here is what we received from Princess on our last cruise:

We are in receipt of correspondence advising us that you require a gluten-free diet. I have noted your record and ordered gluten-free products

for you. Please be aware that it will be at your discretion to order meals as to your allowable diet. We do not designate gluten-free meals on our menu.

although the Maitre d' Hotel will be happy to assist you with selections that would be suitable for your diet. We can also prepare meals using non gluten

binding agents for you, as well as gluten-free desserts and pizza crust.

The gluten-free products we are able to provide and have ordered consist of: gluten-free bread, cereal, sweet cookies, crackers, flour, macaroni,

and spaghetti. The waiter will go over each nights menu for the following night. This allows us to prepare your meals in accordance to your diet. Please

be advised that we can only accommodate your dietary needs in the main dining rooms and our alternative restaurants (Sabatini's, Steakhouse, etc).

The Personal Choice dining room is considered a main dining room as well. We are unable to prevent cross contamination with products containing

gluten at the buffet and therefore strongly suggest that you dine only in the areas we are able to control.

Please contact the Maitre d' Hotel once onboard the ship to discuss your dietary restrictions and any special meal preparations

you may have.

I thank you for choosing Princess Cruises and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Kelly Ashley

Onboard Services Dietary

You need to ask in advance, just let your head waiter know what you want. They are very good at helping if they just know. Ms. Ashley's email was kashley@princesscruises.com, This was last year so do not know if this is still a good email. Let them know in advance that you will need gluten free (gf) and they will plan for you.

I'm sorry, but I want you to enjoy all of your suite, not just the smallest room in it. ;)

LOL :D

My DH has to eat gluten free. Here is what we received from Princess on our last cruise:

We are in receipt of correspondence advising us that you require a gluten-free diet. I have noted your record and ordered gluten-free products

for you. Please be aware that it will be at your discretion to order meals as to your allowable diet. We do not designate gluten-free meals on our menu.

although the Maitre d' Hotel will be happy to assist you with selections that would be suitable for your diet. We can also prepare meals using non gluten

binding agents for you, as well as gluten-free desserts and pizza crust.

The gluten-free products we are able to provide and have ordered consist of: gluten-free bread, cereal, sweet cookies, crackers, flour, macaroni,

and spaghetti. The waiter will go over each nights menu for the following night. This allows us to prepare your meals in accordance to your diet. Please

be advised that we can only accommodate your dietary needs in the main dining rooms and our alternative restaurants (Sabatini's, Steakhouse, etc).

The Personal Choice dining room is considered a main dining room as well. We are unable to prevent cross contamination with products containing

gluten at the buffet and therefore strongly suggest that you dine only in the areas we are able to control.

Please contact the Maitre d' Hotel once onboard the ship to discuss your dietary restrictions and any special meal preparations

you may have.

I thank you for choosing Princess Cruises and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Kelly Ashley

Onboard Services Dietary

You need to ask in advance, just let your head waiter know what you want. They are very good at helping if they just know. Ms. Ashley's email was kashley@princesscruises.com, This was last year so do not know if this is still a good email. Let them know in advance that you will need gluten free (gf) and they will plan for you.

This is very good information, thank you for sharing. I'm sure the OP will be happy to hear this as well.

I also receive this letter from Princess every time we cruise, but we have found them to much more flexible with their policy regarding specialty restaurants and have always used anytime dining. Please allow yourself to be comfortable and ask questions to the maitre'd, your headwaiter and the head waiter in the Horizon Court as well. The Horizon Court can be a big source of cross contamination, so be mindful of that when eating there. I usually introduce myself to the Horizon Court headwaiter the first breakfast of the cruise so he can assist me in food selection and to be sure I get gluten free bread toasted in the salamander and not the production line toaster used for all the other bread. Some of their sausage links contain gluten and some are gluten free, he will be able to tell you which are gf.

I have also found that if I write in tht I need a gluten free diet on the room service breakfast menu I can get gf free bread and items not usually found on that menu. Sissy

Archived