Upsell from Romance Suite to Owner's Suite...yes or no? HELP!

sonavogel

Sona....I for one don't think you will regret the decision. To me, there is just nothing that can compare with the view from the aft..it's quiet and peaceful back there and the perfect place for a retreat or celebration. There is nothing like sitting out on the back enjoying the stars in the sky or watching the world go by. :D Enjoy celebrating with your hubby and come back and tell us all about it! :)

I'm bringing my netbook to try to keep a kind of journal about this cruise, and DH will take charge of the camera. I want to make sure I get some good snaps of the suite, inside and out. And I've so appreciated the reviews I've read on this board that I'd like to be able to contribute one of my own! :D

Those that have gotten the call, how far out from the cruise do they usually make the calls? Just curious and thanks.

Just got our first call ever today and our cruise leaves on Sunday! It was $500- to upgrade from our mini suite to an AB. It is only my husband and myself...we've had an AB before with our kids and it would just make us miss them :rolleyes: plus we are starting a new business and and $500 is a lot to us right now! Never thought I'd turn it down, but never say never!

I'm bringing my netbook to try to keep a kind of journal about this cruise, and DH will take charge of the camera. I want to make sure I get some good snaps of the suite, inside and out. And I've so appreciated the reviews I've read on this board that I'd like to be able to contribute one of my own! :D

My office Sona....December 2009 Aft AE Pearl! :) You will have LOTS of inspiration!

11555_194107737383_506982383_2886066_5867282_n.jpg.75da3f001f94d93496f3404aea32f492.jpg

dznymom, you're funny! :D I know why you wrote this--you start to go round and round in your head, and eventually your eyes cross and you don't know what to do! All you know is that it's a rare opportunity and would make for an amazing experience.

Well, I just finished going over it (and over it) with my husband--over the phone, yet! He's racing around today with all sorts of other commitments to his mom and his daughter/my stepdaughter, so he tried hard to visualize everything I told him and to give me an honest opinion.

Tell you, I almost tore my hair out when he told me lovingly, "Whatever you decide will be fine with me." Boy!

But in the end, we both agreed on a few specifics:

We like the idea of having nothing in front of us, so we can gaze out over the ocean with nothing jutting out below or slanting back that we can see above.

We like the idea of a large, large balcony that will not be windy and that we can eat dinner in, with lots of room for everything.

We like the idea of privacy and not having to do anything we don't want to do--not having to dress up for a captain's cocktail party or even be sociable if we don't feel like it when we're in a private courtyard with only a few other passengers (vs. the hundreds of anonymous faces by the main pool).

I was thrilled to have this opportunity, thrilled and exhilarated, because it was so much fun trying to decide!

But I've decided to stay with the romance suite--if we love it, then I know DH will want to book it again for us, especially once we've experienced it. And that's something we likely could do again.

But the owner's suite...that's something we're not likely to try for on our own, even if we love it this time (it's pretty much out of our range). And that would be a shame...to experience something that you'd love to get used to, knowing it's unlikely.

Thank you all--this was enormously helpful, because it centered my thoughts on what I found to be most important. :)

It's going to be a fabulous cruise!!

All the best, Sona

Yahoo for you! We have the Romance cabin also in February!!!! We are on the Pearl and can't wait. ;)

Cost is also relative to the normal upgrade cost and costs so far.

eg on oct 17 there is a $500pp difference AD(1599)->AA(2099)

which date is yours.

You can always counter offer.

First thing I would do is check what is available and if something more attractive say a CV is available you could ask for.

Thanks, IslandGirl, for the kind words—I know it’s going to be a perfect cruise because we’re not really counting on outside circumstances (like a great excursion or five-star cuisine) to make it so. We will have each other, a glass or two of wine or maybe something rich like Kahlúa and cream (I’m a sucker for the sweet/rich stuff!), a few canapes or a simple dinner (nothing needs to be fancy), and the sea and stars spread out before us—no theater entertainment could possibly be better than that! :)

And thanks for that snapshot! That’s exactly where I intend to set up shop...there, and in the spa, I think (I’m definitely going to sign up right away for a 7-day spa pass for us both).

MinnesotaLady, yay for us! Maybe I’ll be able to write something that will actually be helpful to romance suiters. :)

cruiser willy...nice try, and I appreciate the gesture <:D>, but maybe next time! If lightning strikes twice.

inside cabin, it wasn’t the money, although I actually hadn’t thought of counteroffering, and I’ll remember that if I should ever be this lucky again. It was actually the difference in location and the size of the operative balconies, and even (a little) the extra attention such an upgrade would have afforded us. We like to be treated to good service; who doesn’t? But I think the romance suite level will be just fine for us, and although it’s wonderfully decadent to have 700+ sf for one cabin, 370+ sf is just as decadent when you’re used to 210 sf, no?

In terms of fantasies: I think the dream accommodation for us, if there had been such a thing and it were offered for an upsell, would have been a deck 10 midship 700+ sf suite with a side balcony as large as the largest one NCL has to offer, access to the courtyard/private pool, and all the other normal suite perks. That would have been irresistible! But I am happily content with what I have...and particularly with what I get to take back home with me: my sweet husband.

Best, Sona

inside cabin, it wasn’t the money

I understand that but it needs to be considereded if the move is on.

The test for me is, if it was free would I move?

Once you answer that question yes then you pay up or negotiate.

The other key point is that once you are in the upsell system if you know there are other cabins available that you would like you can always ask for those.

If travelling with friends the GV might even be an option if they are still available.

Good decision to stick with the Romance Suite :p I honestly think you were in a WIN - WIN situation so there was no wrong choice. Be sure to have at least one dinner in your stateroom, and remember to leave your balcony once in a while to explore the rest of the ship!

We love the AD suites on the Dawn and in fact, we booked a cruise yesterday that we initially wanted to take in January but wound up going in February just so we could have the AD suite (none were available at ALL in January for any sailing on the Dawn). We spend most of our time in our cabin, hanging out on the balcony and you are going to love the privacy of the AD suites! I sure wouldn't give up the AD for anything OTHER than an OS - and even then (like you) we'd think long and hard....there's nothing quite like the sight of the moonlight turning the wake to a silver stream...ENJOY!!

Good decision to stick with the Romance Suite :p I honestly think you were in a WIN - WIN situation so there was no wrong choice. Be sure to have at least one dinner in your stateroom, and remember to leave your balcony once in a while to explore the rest of the ship!

Sure stay in the Romance Suite, then people above you can throw things down at you...Hey Chris...:D

Sure stay in the Romance Suite, then people above you can throw things down at you...Hey Chris...:D
:D I thought about that one too--with all the drinking going on up there, who knows? I might find a $20 or a $50 bill on my balcony one morning!

Archived