Celebrity or Regent (big /small,$$/$ to Alaska?

jusjoan

My husband and I are planning a trip to Alaska via Inside Passage from Vancouver next summer. I have narrowed my search down to 2 cruise lines based on the fact that we are leaning toward the cruises lines with the strictest smoking policies.

I would prefer the Regent cruise because it is a smaller passenger ship but am concerned that since it is a smaller ship that we may be prone to sea sickness. Is there a big difference among ships?

My other concern is that Regent is more expensive than Celebrity. Is the cost justified on Regent? It is billed as "all inclusive." Sounds good to me, but is it too good to be true?

We are not into the nightlife. We enjoy fine dining, good wine, meeting new friends and just generally relaxing. This will be our 1st cruise and first time away from our kids since we got married 15 years ago. We are in our early 50s and pretty much enjoy nature.

Thanks for any suggestions,

JusJoan

The average age of a Regent guest is 58 (world wide) with about 35% retired so you should find many working professionals with similar taste as yours. Regent does not have formal nights on cruises under 16 days.

Determining "value" is a matter of personal preferances but if you are more a 'live to eat' person that appretiates a fine meal over an 'eats to live' person that is just happy they did not have to cook and clean up then you will get more value out of the Regent experience.

Since you enjoy nature and Regent includes excursions you will get more enjoyment and value out of their smaller tour groups.

In my opinion, there's no comparison - Regent wins hands-down. While the price of admission is certainly higher than Celebrity, when you look at what you're getting for that price (better staterooms, a more intimate ship, higher quality food and service, included gratuities and most alcohol), it becomes a better value overall.

Archived