Seaworld or Zoo in San Diego?

ldarcy

We are in San Diego for a day before our cruise, we've been to Seaworld years ago (1994) and have never been to the zoo or the Wild Animal Park. Can anyone recommend which of these exhibits we should see - or do we have time to do more than one?

Thanks!

ldarcy

The Zoo is my vote, as IMHO not much really changes at Sea World. My kids have been to SW 4 times now, and the last time, they didn't want to go again the 2nd day (tickets allowed us a 2nd trip back at no charge). We headed to the Wild Animal Park, and it was great, but if choosing only one, The Zoo is the winner for us!

Safe travels to you....

we are just back from a week in San Diego - we went to both the zoo and the wildlife park both are great. The zoo was fantastic, in addition to the animals the plants and grounds are amazing. At the wild life park we chose the photo safari had great photos and the chance to feed giraffes and rhinos...

either one you cant go wrong it will be a good day

It really is just what your personal preference is... keeping in mind that the Wild Animal Park really isn't in San Diego proper, but several miles outside of the city, while the Zoo and Sea World are right in the city, and would offer you the chance to do other things, shopping, dining, etc.

Definitely the zoo. You can easily spend a whole day there. Don't miss our year old panda cub Yun Zi - very cute! The Wild Animal Park is much farther out - it could take an hour to get there due to ongoing road construction.

The Zoo gets my vote. I love all the habitats exhibits for the animals. The one thing I liked about SeaWorld versus the zoo was the shows they have at SeaWorld, in particular the Dolphin show and Shamu's Believe.

In 2008, we did both in a day. We went to the Zoo first and then SeaWorld. We did a tour of the zoo in one of those bus thingies and then footed it all throughout the zoo.

Thanks! I appreciate all the replies - I admit that I'm surprised that recommendations ran pretty much 100% for the zoo! I have to ask though, we have a huge world-class zoo here in my hometown (Calgary, Canada) as well, could the San Diego zoo be a lot better/different? Has anyone been to both??

Thanks again!

Zoo. Sea World is all about shows; pretending that the animals like "performing" for the people. Not so much about learnng how they really live, what they're really like. The zoo is both entertaining and educational. And it's easy to get to. And close to several museums (separate admission for each, so it can be an expensive day). The Wild Animal Park is good in that you get to see the animals outside of cages, though, unlike in the wild, with predators/prey safely kept apart (don't want to freak out the tourists with blood and guts), and you are at some distance away, and are in a tram (I think it's sill like that). You need a car to get there. So, which "should" you see? Depends on you. I'd opt for the zoo first, wild animal park second, and Sea World fourth (after the fairly small Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla). But that's me.

We are in San Diego for a day before our cruise, we've been to Seaworld years ago (1994) and have never been to the zoo or the Wild Animal Park. Can anyone recommend which of these exhibits we should see - or do we have time to do more than one?

Thanks!

ldarcy

Zoo!!! It's wonderful! The Wild Animal Park not so good unless you get a great seat. You've already seen Seaworld....don't think it has changed that much since '94.

Hope you have a wonderful time whichever event you decide to attend.

Both are fun (and yes, SW has changed since 94). We like SW because you walk to the next show and sit down. The zoo is just walking (although you can watch shows (not as many as SW) or take the bus they have...problem with the bus is you can't stop at each thing that you might want to).

If you have a great zoo then you might want to do SW.

I put another vote for the Midway, DW and DS went for a school trip and said it was fantastic and very interactive.

Both are fun (and yes, SW has changed since 94). We like SW because you walk to the next show and sit down. The zoo is just walking (although you can watch shows (not as many as SW) or take the bus they have...problem with the bus is you can't stop at each thing that you might want to).

If you have a great zoo then you might want to do SW.

I put another vote for the Midway, DW and DS went for a school trip and said it was fantastic and very interactive.

You CAN get on and off at many stops if you take the Kangaroo Bus tour at the Zoo instead of the regular tour bus. There is an additional fee for this over the admission though.

I love sea world. The Zoo can be fun. If your going to do the zoo do the bus tour and sit on the top level of the bus. I also would say do the skyfari you have to pay extra but I think its only a couple bucks same for the bus tour its extra also. But they are worth it you get to see alot more of the zoo that way!

I also agree the Midway is cool! Its a real aircraft carrier thats retired. Also it's right next to the cruise ship so you could do that in the morning before you embark. I would say 2 or 3 hours on board is good. That way you could do the zoo and Balboa park the day before. I suggest you try to do some of the museums there too. They're awesome!

Have a fun trip!

Definitely the Zoo and if you have time, the Midway. Have late lunch in Little Italy and relax in between.

Taxi to Zoo and then to Little Italy. Walk to Midway and then back to the ship.

Another alternative is Zoo and museums in Balboa park.

If it is a really hot day, the animals will be resting in the shade during midday.

Archived