Carnival Dress Code

buster parry

:rolleyes:Appreciate some advice on dress code Carnival Splendour.

In general do passengers get dressed in full formal evening wear on 'Captains Nights'? We are flying from UK to Las Vegas 1st then to LA where we board the ship, because of weight restrictions we don't want to be packing unecessary Dinner Suits/Evening wear if wer'e going to look out of place.

Thanks Alot

Margaret,

:rolleyes:Appreciate some advice on dress code Carnival Splendour.

In general do passengers get dressed in full formal evening wear on 'Captains Nights'? We are flying from UK to Las Vegas 1st then to LA where we board the ship, because of weight restrictions we don't want to be packing unecessary Dinner Suits/Evening wear if wer'e going to look out of place.

Thanks Alot

Margaret,

Carnival has 3 levels of dress, Casual, Extremely Casual, and Sloppy.

No jacket is required on Carnival, no tie is required on Carnival.

"Cruise Elegant Night", a total misnomer, means no cut off jeans shorts for men. Long pants and a collard shirt will put him in the upper echelon.

The CCL dress guidelines, free from commentary on the downfall of society, can be found here:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress

"What to wear?Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders)."

Uh- perhaps the first comment is just a tad overdone. However, the dress code is quite loose for sure. Elegant night can mean nothing, or can mean a long formal dress and tux- people pretty much do as they want. In many ways it has become the night when should you want to dress formally you can and people will understand why you are all dressed up. Many women love to get all dressed up but it is not required. Men wearing a sports jacket, white shirt, and tie and trousers as opposed to jeans will be in the majority- and even the jacket and tie is not required. A collared shirt and trousers will not be out of place. And a simple dress again not out of place. Many here wish that it were different and that people really did continue to come out elegantly, but most don't.

The OP stated that they are doing considerable travel both within and without the US. And that they would like to lighten the load as much as possible. Since CCL is as casual as it can be, why confuse the issue. Just about anything goes.

I am NOT pleased with the dumbing down to, and almost non-existent dress code. But its there, and they can pack extremely light in re: Carnival dress.

Carnival has 3 levels of dress, Casual, Extremely Casual, and Sloppy.

No jacket is required on Carnival, no tie is required on Carnival.

"Cruise Elegant Night", a total misnomer, means no cut off jeans shorts for men. Long pants and a collard shirt will put him in the upper echelon.

That is just totally not true! Maybe your smaller ships, but we were on the Freedom and saw no such thing. Everyone dressed nice (some even tuxs and gowns on elegant night), and the other nights in the MDR, most all diners were dressed very nice. And WE were one of them!

That is just totally not true! Maybe your smaller ships, but we were on the Freedom and saw no such thing. Everyone dressed nice (some even tuxs and gowns on elegant night), and the other nights in the MDR, most all diners were dressed very nice. And WE were one of them!

Largers ships too. The Dream we had jammies on an adult show up at the table beside us in the MDR. Including slippers.

For the OP's purpose I'd say travel with a sport jacket and a nice dress. It really depends on the ship, time of year and demographic. What people wear varies.

Every time this topic comes up - there are some who will get hot under the collar. I love the elegant evenings and enjoy watching those who dress up that way...secretly wish my DH would...however, must admit that I believe I have paid the same as everyone else and should get to have lobster when they serve it on the "elegant nights" and so we do our own version of elegant and I remain thrilled that my DH's health has allowed us to cruise another year.

OP - enjoy the cruise whatever you choose to pack!

I don't understand why people have an aversion to dressing up. I feel that you should put on something nice as if you were in a metropolitan city going to a nice restaurant or at least wedding attire. You have all day to wear your crappy clothes and swim suits...as a matter of fact you probably have 360 other days of the year to wear your usual crappy clothes! Make an effort. I am not saying go formal...but all means I don't want to see you in shorts and jeans in the dining room. You aren't eating hamburger and hotdogs...like one poster said, they are planning to eat lobster and steak. I look to this as date night with my husband for a whole week and I like to see him looking nice and he is certainly very complimentary to me when he sees me in something besides the typical jean attire. The last cruise I was on I actually saw someone in a baseball hat and a rude tshirt in the diningroom....where do you draw the line!

I think if you experienced cruisers continue to say anything goes, and that it's casual and sloppy, then new people reading this will think anything IS okay. However, if the experienced cruisers say to dress nice, etc., then the new cruisers may (I do say may) take the hint and bring nice things to wear. I'm a new cruiser and I took the advice of my friends about elegant night and DH and I dressed up for the occasions. As a matter of fact, we dressed nice every night for the MDR and Sun King Restaurant.

And again, I didn't see anyone dress sloppy during the entire cruise in the MDR. And definitely saw no PJ's!

I'm just saying if everyone continues to say Carnival is sloppy dressing, etc., then what do you expect new cruisers to use as a guideline? And then they're berated when they do 'dress down' ... because on Cruise Critic, that's what they've been told!

Just read the dress code (posted above by Lemur Cat) and make your interpretation. You will certainly be as correct as anyone else here. I dress within the dress code as posted by Carnival and don't give a Rat's patoot whether anyone else likes it or not. Carnival says okay, then it's okay.

If you LIKE to dress up and WANT to exceed Carnival's posted dress code, then feel free to do so but you are certainly not obligated to do so.

Although I really would like to see that collard shirt mentioned above....I've never seen one made out of greens before.

Since you're needing to limit your luggage... i'd say bring one cocktail dress for yourself - you can dress it up with jewelry and accessories for formal night and then dress it down for another night or two. Your husband will be okay in some nice slacks and a jacket. There is a formalities department onboard that you can rent a jacket from but I don't know what the prices are. You will see people dressed in tuxes and ball gowns to just khakis and a button down (for some people that is dressed up!) If you really don't want to bring anything nice at all, you can alway eat in alternative dining for formal night. :)

I always loved what used to be called "formal nights" and still dress up. However, I think we have the airlines to thank for a lot of people no longer doing so. By the time you pay $25.00 per bag, each way, for your luggage to fly with you, it becomes a pain in the butt. I still am willing to pay extra to fly hubby's tux and my formal dresses, but a lot of people just are not willing to incur the extra expense - especially those who barely afforded the cruise to begin with.

Although I really would like to see that collard shirt mentioned above....I've never seen one made out of greens before.

I will assume you are joking but should our British guests not be clear on what I meant- a shirt with a collar as opposed to a tee shirt.

And for those who think I wear "crappy" clothes- be that as it may. I do not cruise to get dressed up. I wear a nice dress, my husband wore shirt and tie as did my children. If you want to get "dressed up" go for it. It is a large pair of dining rooms and space for everyone. I wish a lot of things and since wishes are not horses- I will not be riding. Nor will you. But insulting those who do not feel the way that you do- gee I wish people were polite too.

Well bless your heart,

To fill you in on the total picture, I wear a tux on all cruises including Carnival and I have 15 Carnival cruises. But if you were to read back, not necessary, you would find that I am pissed off at Carnival for doing away with Formal Night. And Carnival is MUCH more casual than any other line, [NCL excepted] and almost any attire is allowed. IMNSHO, it shouldn't be, but it is.

Just read the dress code (posted above by Lemur Cat) and make your interpretation. You will certainly be as correct as anyone else here. I dress within the dress code as posted by Carnival and don't give a Rat's patoot whether anyone else likes it or not. Carnival says okay, then it's okay.

If you LIKE to dress up and WANT to exceed Carnival's posted dress code, then feel free to do so but you are certainly not obligated to do so.

I make very few unintentional spelling errors, But that one is a BEAUT!! Good Catch.:D:D:D

Woo Hooo, it is true. Read the dress code. Does not mean everyone does it.

I enjoy watching people wear there bath robes and flip flops to dinner. Better show than the singing and dancing waiters do.

I always loved what used to be called "formal nights" and still dress up. However, I think we have the airlines to thank for a lot of people no longer doing so. By the time you pay $25.00 per bag, each way, for your luggage to fly with you, it becomes a pain in the butt. I still am willing to pay extra to fly hubby's tux and my formal dresses, but a lot of people just are not willing to incur the extra expense - especially those who barely afforded the cruise to begin with.

Good Post ! We will be flying into Jacksonville and due to the fact we are trying to keep our costs down and have less than and hour to make connecting flights - we have decided to bring just carry on luggage. That will limit our packing for sure.... I can do the sundress and bling, but not sure what DH will wear for "date night" dinner ! but I am sure he will be looking good !!! :D

Archived