HAL Kids' Club for a 10 yo boy?

halloweengirl

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are pondering booking a cruise to celebrate both my birthday and my nephew's birthday in January (one day apart)...we're looking at the HAL Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera. This will be his first cruise and our second.

My nephew will be turning 10. He's bright, active, interested in video games, music, history, eating (lol, he'll love cruising for sure), movies, and anything else most boys his age like (he's still undecided on girls, lol).

I know HAL has a "tweens" group--does anyone have firsthand experience on what they offer and whether or not their tweens had a good time? He'll likely be with us most of the time, but we do plan to let him experience the Kids' Club on several occasions.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Halloweengirl,

I can't give you specific information as it relates to 10 year old boys but I can tell you that my older daughter (who was 12 at the time) quite enjoyed the tween group in Club HAL when we sailed on the Eurodam in the Eastern Caribbean a year and a half ago. She found several girls her age to hang out with and had quite a good time. Girls are quite different than boys though - I'm not sure they did a lot other than talk and maybe some games. We were also on the Eurodam which I think is a bigger ship and we were sailing during March break so there were probably more kids on board than there would be in January. Not sure if that helps much but if you would like more specific info about activities then I would be happy to check with my daughter to see if she remembers what was available.

Lisa

My son was 10 last year when we did a Christmas cruise on the Oosterdam. They had a few different scavenger hunts, some sports activities, video game competitions, and movie nights. My son loves to play video games and they had 5 or 6 different playstation and Wii systems setup for the kids to play on. They had a nice mixture of being able to play video games and also other activities so they aren't just stuck in front of a tv the whole day.

Overall, my son really enjoyed it. There were a large number of kids onboard for Christmas. Don't know how it would be after the holiday break.

We did an Alaskan cruise on the O this past May with our 14 yo DD and 10 yo DS. They both had a wonderful time, and surprisingly there were almost 100 kids on board even while school was still in session. As previously posted, there are playstations with games available for checkoutand multiple other activities going on. They also have limited service available during port calls for adult only excursion time. It ran from 9 am to 4 pm on our cruise and you had to register the day before. You will have the option of letting your nephew sign himself in and out of the kids club or only an adult signing him out. Whatever you are comfortable with.

I scanned all our dailies to cruisinmama who has them posted on her webpage. Here is a link to an older post so you can get an idea of the activities available to the kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1209677&highlight=

Archived