NCL DAWN ENGINE PROBLEMS...Cause For Concern This Winter Season?!?

Hamptonsailor

Well,....after hearing a few weeks ago that the DAWN blew an Azipod Thruster, I became very concerned about whether she would dry-dock and repair before repositioning to Miami for her winter Southern Caribbean sailing itineraries. Today, we learned that she will NOT be dry-docking and under-going the Azipod repair before she heads south.

We are booked AGAIN on the DAWN for this January 28th in our first Penthouse experience and just received the notice today of NCL's "Revised Itinerary" due to the engine problems. Simply put,...we lose an hour of port time at a few ports of call to make up for the loss in speed.

***Has anyone had any experience sailing with a blown Azipod?

Any cause for concern where our comfort and enjoyment of the overall

trip is considered? :confused:

Appreciate any info or advice.

Thanks!

Well,....after hearing a few weeks ago that the DAWN blew an Azipod Thruster, I became very concerned about whether she would dry-dock and repair before repositioning to Miami for her winter Southern Caribbean sailing itineraries. Today, we learned that she will NOT be dry-docking and under-going the Azipod repair before she heads south.

We are booked AGAIN on the DAWN for this January 28th in our first Penthouse experience and just received the notice today of NCL's "Revised Itinerary" due to the engine problems. Simply put,...we lose an hour of port time at a few ports of call to make up for the loss in speed.

***Has anyone had any experience sailing with a blown Azipod?

Any cause for concern where our comfort and enjoyment of the overall

trip is considered? :confused:

Appreciate any info or advice.

Thanks!

The Dawn has two stern Azipod's and both are working fine,it was one of the four diesel motors that supply electricity that has issues

I assumed that "slower speed" meant an engine issue, otherwise she would not be sailing at all. My question would be - what are the chances the problem escalates? I realize the other engines won't catch whatever disabled one of them, but we're booked on Dec 17th, and would really like to avoid floating aimlessly as the Dawn did last year.

I was on the 9/4 Jewel doing the Fla/Bahamas, no issue with her damaged Azipod. From watching the ship info channel we did not exceed 20 knots going south (25 is design max) and at 20 knots there was no noticeable vibration which you would have with the problem at higher speed. We just made it "on time" to Florida Noon arrival and no issues at any other port. Return north we didn't go faster then 17 knots.

I do not think you will have any problems.

Have fun.

We're cruising the Dawn in Jan but I haven't received any info on revised itineraries. Can you please tell us what the changes are?

We got an e-mail this morning which outlined minor changes in some of the port times for our sailing in February - certainly nothing that would even remotely have us considering a cancellation of our cruise:eek:. The differences in port times are negligible...

Original Arrive Depart

Fri Miami' date=' Florida 4:00 pm[/size']

Sat Relaxing Day at Sea

Sun Samaná, Dominican Republic 10:00 am 5:00 pm

Mon Tortola, British Virgin Islands 9:00 am 6:00 pm

Tue St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Wed Bridgetown, Barbados 10:00 am 6:00 pm

Thu Basseterre, St. Kitts 11:00 am 7:00 pm

Fri Relaxing Day at Sea

Sat Relaxing Day at Sea

Sun Miami, Florida 8:00 am

Revised Arrive Depart

Fri Miami, Florida 4:00 pm

Sat Relaxing Day at Sea

Sun Samaná, Dominican Republic 11:00 am 5:00 pm

Mon Tortola, British Virgin Islands 9:30 am 7:00 pm

Tue St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Wed Bridgetown, Barbados 10:30 am 6:00 pm

Thu Basseterre, St. Kitts 11:30 am 7:00 pm

Fri Relaxing Day at Sea

Sat Relaxing Day at Sea

Sun Miami, Florida 8:00 am

Changes in port times are indicated in bold type.......

The Dawn doesn't have the dreaded azipod problem, instead one of its diesel engines threw a rod through the block. It appears the Dawn will not be drydocked until May 2011, as that's when NCL has cancelled a few early Boston to Bermuda cruises.

For the upcoming winter season, expect some itinerary changes. The Dawn has 4 large diesel engines, only 1 is damaged., so there are 3 capable of running normally.

Archived