Just off the Dream-Horrible cigar smell from room next door

cruisin again

"most ship fires">>> scary thought

what about the ones that are NOT caused by electrical appliances?

if people fall asleep with cigs in their trailers, apartments and homes and burn them down what is to say that might not happen on a ship?

especially with all the drinking??

at least a non smoking drunk will just fall down or throw up, they won't cause a fire

In the two states I live and work in our cigs have a chemical in them that puts them out if they are not inhaled. So even though I don't smoke in bed I don't have to worry about burning any thing as my cigs go out

That's true. With this chemical they pretty much extinguish themselves unless actively being "smoked". Less chance for fire.

Being nice and politely asking someone not to smoke does not always work either. We hads some balcony neighbors who insisted on chain smoking cigarettes AND weed in the early mornings. I can't tell you how miserable this drifting smoke made the pre-dawn mornings for us. Finally, my wife stuck her head out the door and asked: "Would you PLEASE refrain from smoking pot while we are trying to sleep!" I heard a male voice say: "Mind your own business bit*ch"

I am 6'3" and weigh close to 270 lbs. I got out of bed, walked out to the balcony, and stuck my head around the corner. In a not so polite voice I said: "I am going to kick your a** if you talk like that to my wife again."

Never heard another word or smelled anything unusual from them again.

Being nice and politely asking someone not to smoke does not always work either. We hads some balcony neighbors who insisted on chain smoking cigarettes AND weed in the early mornings. I can't tell you how miserable this drifting smoke made the pre-dawn mornings for us. Finally, my wife stuck her head out the door and asked: "Would you PLEASE refrain from smoking pot while we are trying to sleep!" I heard a male voice say: "Mind your own business bit*ch"

I am 6'3" and weigh close to 270 lbs. I got out of bed, walked out to the balcony, and stuck my head around the corner. In a not so polite voice I said: "I am going to kick your a** if you talk like that to my wife again."

I love stories like that-not that it had to do with smoking, just that you stood up to a bully. Just curious, were the people on the balcony both guys, and did they reply to you at the time?

In the two states I live and work in our cigs have a chemical in them that puts them out if they are not inhaled. So even though I don't smoke in bed I don't have to worry about burning any thing as my cigs go out

Wow, I've never heard of that. That's pretty amazing.

Saharaga is right. When you say "I know it can kill me but I have to die of something", it is the exact same sentence I have heard MANY drug addicts say. I work in the Addictions field.

this is not the rationalization many use when they initially start using. i agree that eventually this statement is made by addicts, but it is a rationalization used by many, not just drug addicts and smokers.

You have the right to smoke but you should also be honest with yourself. Your choice to smoke should be yours ALONE. That means if you want to smoke somewhere that will not affect anyone else that's your choice but there should be no smoke blowing at them because this of course, takes their choice to not smoke away from them - secondhand smoke is not good. When you go on your balcony and smoke and the downwind blows your shoke to another guest's balcony you have infringed upon their right to not inhale smoke. like i have said, i am a polite cigar smoker. willing to accomodate balcony time if i am approached the right way. but there is a right way and wrong way to go about it. i only smoke in designated areas and on my balcony, never in my cabin. as long as i am within carnivals policy, i don't see how i am infringing on your rights. you have a right not to go to designated smoking areas to avoid second hand smoke.

as for the balcony, i am willing to compromise with anyone that is nice about it.

I'm sorry but I don't get this post! It is definitely not o.k. to smoke pot (which is illegal) on a balcony. However, the balcony doors are to remain closed as to not let the a/c out (there is always a sign stating that on the door). Maybe you should have had your door closed as the sign states and the smell, if it did drift into your room, wouldn't have woken you up which led to a confrontation between the two of you!

as for the balcony, i am willing to compromise with anyone that is nice about it.

Great, another addict/smoker WILLING to compromise on THEIR vacation about THEIR SMOKE and the SMELL everyone else has to endure on all the other balconies around theirs, if only we are nice about it! i.e,; we ask them nicely NOT TO bother, infect or otherwise harm us with their habit, or addiction on OUR vacation too!!! Just for future reference: Please, please, do not light up that cigarette, cigar or anything else on your balconey so when I am on my balconey I don't have to stress about talking to you about your habits. Go down to the cigar bar or up to the pool deck and enjoy your habit THERE!!!!:eek:

Great, another addict/smoker WILLING to compromise on THEIR vacation about THEIR SMOKE and the SMELL everyone else has to endure on all the other balconies around theirs, if only we are nice about it! i.e,; we ask them nicely NOT TO bother, infect or otherwise harm us with their habit, or addiction on OUR vacation too!!! Just for future reference: Please, please, do not light up that cigarette, cigar or anything else on your balconey so when I am on my balconey I don't have to stress about talking to you about your habits. Go down to the cigar bar or up to the pool deck and enjoy your habit THERE!!!!:eek:

if its ok with carnival that i smoke on my balcony.... i will smoke on my balcony! how is anyone to know if you are bothered if you don't speak up.

Sorry, but if Carnival allows smoking on the balconies then they do not have to ask permission to smoke, they do not have to go anywhere else. If it bothers you then do not book a balcony because you do not have the right to "talk" to them about their habit. By the way, I have never smoked and do not care for the smell myself but do not let it bother me.

If it bothers you then do not book a balcony because you do not have the right to "talk" to them about their habit.

I don't like smoke, but I like smokers. :D See... the smokers and non-smokers both have the same problem- CARNIVAL likes watching us fight with each other. They must think its funny!

A smoker should be able to sit-out on their balcony, and smoke a pack of cigs and drink some wine, while watching the sunset. :) And a non-smoker should be able to sit on his balcony and eat some cheese, and drink a beer, while enjoying the sunset... but we can't with smoke floating around the divider. (we can breath the offensive smoke, go inside, ask for help from our neighbor, or complain to our neighbor). But we don't want to do any of those things, we just want to enjoy our balcony.

Actually, Carnival doesn't want to do the work of separating the two groups who do not exist together without causing stress and friction. So until we make enough noise, Carnival will continue to think non-smokers need to just hold their breath, and smokers need to deal with people giving them dirty looks for smoking next door and ruining their fresh sea air

afterthestorm.jpg

Not all smokers are drunks...not all of the drunks are smokers

but combine the two..and it could be a disaster

sure a non smoking drunk might fall on their face or puke in their cabin or even climb up and fall off their balcony:eek:

BUT unless they brought their weber grill on board or a bunch of candles they won't start a fire

a drunken smoker on the other hand?? How many times do you see house fires, apartment fires, trailer fires (matchboxes) where someone fell asleep smoking (very often drunk)

It's a scary thought..and one I sometimes can't get out of my head

Yeah..the idea scares me :(

These boards are very helpful. I didn't know I could smoke in my room. I hate going out to my balcony after too many drinks to smoke, I'm afraid we might hit a big wave and I might fall overboard or worse yet spill my smuggled drink. After reading this thread I'm going to smoke and drink in bed where it's safe!!

These boards are very helpful. I didn't know I could smoke in my room. I hate going out to my balcony after too many drinks to smoke, I'm afraid we might hit a big wave and I might fall overboard or worse yet spill my smuggled drink. After reading this thread I'm going to smoke and drink in bed where it's safe!!

Please remember to unplug your iron though before turning in for the evening :D

This is the reason we can not co-exsist :rolleyes:

When and If Carnival makes smoking against the rules on your own balcony that is exactly what I will do. Until then, I am not doing anything wrong.

Until then, of course, you can always book Celebrity which has a strict no balcony smoking policy.

When and If Carnival makes smoking against the rules on your own balcony that is exactly what I will do. Until then, I am not doing anything wrong.

Until then, of course, you can always book Celebrity which has a strict no balcony smoking policy.

I agree. Smokers have to speak up. Carnival allows it and I for one will continue to thank them with my business.

There is some aspect of your being that everyone else has to endure, everybody does at least one thing that irritates someone else. Maybe it is your bathing habits, perfume, laugh, opinion or the way you chew your food that gets on someone’s nerves. Most of us have learned to live and let live. As for your statement about infecting others, do you honestly believe smelling cigarette smoke for an hour on a balcony will hurt you? If you do than you better not ride in a fossil fuel burning vehicle, live in a town with a refinery, paper mill or power plant, maybe you should just stay home but if there is an electrical fire you are dead for sure. The bottom line is trashing smokers is politically correct, the question for you is what comes next. Will it become politically correct to trash overweight people or our more experienced humans? My advice is to enjoy life, if the person next to you is annoying you with smoke just kindly ask them to stop. If being nice doesn’t work, take off your clothes and dance for them or have sex on your balcony, if for no other reason than to take your mind off the smoke.

There is some aspect of your being that everyone else has to endure, everybody does at least one thing that irritates someone else. Maybe it is your bathing habits, perfume, laugh, opinion or the way you chew your food that gets on someone’s nerves. Most of us have learned to live and let live. As for your statement about infecting others, do you honestly believe smelling cigarette smoke for an hour on a balcony will hurt you? If you do than you better not ride in a fossil fuel burning vehicle, live in a town with a refinery, paper mill or power plant, maybe you should just stay home but if there is an electrical fire you are dead for sure. The bottom line is trashing smokers is politically correct, the question for you is what comes next. Will it become politically correct to trash overweight people or our more experienced humans? My advice is to enjoy life, if the person next to you is annoying you with smoke just kindly ask them to stop. If being nice doesn’t work, take off your clothes and dance for them or have sex on your balcony, if for no other reason than to take your mind off the smoke.

Well said! I am not a smoker but my DW is and so are some of my family and friends who I travel with. I read some of the stuff on these boards and it really blows my mind. People stuffing towels under their doorways because smoke is seeping into their room from the hallway, people being woken up by smoke seeping into their rooms from an adjoining balcony, their vacations ruined because their balcony neighbors light up a cigarette on a moving ship, etc. Oh, and someone actually stating they need to use an inhaler because the smoke is caught and lurking in the crevices of the balcony divider. WOW! Do you's know how ridiculous this all sounds!!! We just got off the Valor a few weeks back. Our neighbors smoked cigarettes and one smoked cigars. We also seemed to have the same balcony habits as them....sat out at in the a.m. and late at night. There was a faint smell of the cigar when the ship was moving. It was more pronounced when the ship was in Port and he was up at the railing. Actual cigarette smoke, cigar smoke coming under the dividers....NEVER! Billowing into our room....NEVER! If anything, because of reading these boards, I had my wife who doesn't smoke in the room stand in the doorway going out to the balcony with the door open with a cigarette. The smoke left the room...not pulled into it. On a moving ship (and even a non-moving ship) the smoke dissipates very quickly and within a few feet. I saw no smoke lurking in the crevices....(LOL)!

Seriously, folks, lighten up, have a good time and don't sweat the small stuff! If smelling a cigarette is going to ruin your vacation, WOW!

Archived