Mazatlan Frank - Copala tour

ship2sher

I'm trying to decide between the "Colonial and City Tour" or the "Copala and Short City Tour". I originally wanted the Copala tour but Frank said no one has signed up for that one and that he would have to take my DH and I on a private tour & charge us more money to do so. Is it worth it, or should I sign up for the Colonial tour, which people have signed up for already?

I would suggest you do the Colonial and City tour. I've done the Copala tour. It was enjoyable and interesting but a very long day in a vehicle. Once was enough for me and I wouldn't pay for an exclusive tour on this one. Frank's tours that do more of the city in Mazatlan are wonderful. He shows you so much about Mazatlan that others who visit this city don't always get to see. We did his all day city tour in 2008 and it was fantastic. I had been to Mazatlan 7 or so times previously and didn't have the appreciation for this city like I did after touring with Frank. Seeing Mazatlan through Frank and his other guides eyes is something I would wish for every cruise passenger. Plus, it sounds like you would get the opportunity to visit some of the towns that are closer to Mazatlan as an added benefit.

Thanks for your prompt replies, Ladies. I am going on my cruise November 6th, 2010. We only have 5 couples on our roll call, which is why I went to this thread for help. I have decided to go for the Colonial And City Tour, as was suggested to me and seemed reasonable. I will forego Copala for this cruise and be happy with the other one. I really appreciate this advice. Thanks again!

Thanks for your prompt replies, Ladies. I am going on my cruise November 6th, 2010. We only have 5 couples on our roll call, which is why I went to this thread for help. I have decided to go for the Colonial And City Tour, as was suggested to me and seemed reasonable. I will forego Copala for this cruise and be happy with the other one. I really appreciate this advice. Thanks again!

Awesome. Enjoy your time on your cruise and enjoy seeing Mazatlan through Frank's eyes. BTW, believe it or not there is some pretty good food and good margaritas right in the cruise terminal area so when you get back from your tour it is kind of fun to sit in the open air area before entering the terminal and have a drink and a taco and people watch. Plus, you might see lots of folks from your ship and it can be great fun.

Has anyone done the city tour or city & beach tour or stone island with Mazatlan Frank? Tell us about it. Thank you.:)

We did his all day city tour in 2008. It was really wonderful. I had been to Mazatlan 6 or 7 previous times and liked it but had so much more of an appreciation for Mazatlan after touring with Frank. Plus, I was traveling with my "diva" sister who is hard to please and she loved it.

From what I remember here is what we did: left the cruise terminal and went to a lookout point above Mazatlan. The view was beautiful. You could see the ships docked and the tiny islands off of Mazatlan as well as the cityscape. There is also a little flea market there. From there went to the old part of Mazatlan and went through the Cathedral which is very interesting and beautiful and went through the farmers market. We loved going through the Farmers market. It's not for the weak-hearted as the first couple of rows are just T-shirt, etc merchants and they will hound you. Walk through that area and to the center and you will see where the locals buy their produce, meat, etc. We found it very interesting. From there Frank took us around the back of the market where all the seafood is on display (caught that morning), from there down the Malecon to view some of the historic statues and then to see the cliff divers. We enjoyed this but again, you will be hounded by merchants - just keep saying no thanks and keep walking. It was fun seeing the divers - not like Acapulco but still fun. From there we went to a shop for a quick stop. Primarily jewelry. We weren't there long and got a free shot of teguila so we didn't mind. From there we went back to the older city part of Mazatlan but to an area that is being redeveloped. We got out and walked around and looked at some of the homes being remodeled and then went to a very pretty city square where there were some restaurants and some people doing sand sculptures. Very interesting. From there we went by the Opera House and then to some friends of Frank's house. They sell arts and crafts like pottery at their home. It was nice and nice to meet some people from Mazatlan. From there we went to a gated neighborhood that had some very large homes. I guess alot of city officials and americans live in this area. I had never seen this area so it was interesting. From there we went to Tony's on the Beach for lunch. We had a blast there. The food was good, free shots of teguila and others on our tour were really nice and fun. We walked on the beach for a bit and then Frank took us North to the new developments. In 2008 there wasn't much opened yet but this is the area where the new Riu is open now. Also, had a nice marina. From there he drove us through what would be considered a middle class neighborhood. We saw some of the homes and shopping centers. Again, very interesting as we really saw neighborhoods this day from poor to wealthy. Really a good overview of the city. He asked if we wanted to shop in the Golden Zone before returning to the ship. None did so he took us back to the terminal. It really was our favorite day on this cruise.

I haven't done his Stone Island tour. If you are looking for more of a beach day and not wanting to sight-see as much as we did you might enjoy Stone Island. I've been there and had a nice time but really enjoy the above tour more.

I hope you have a wonderful time whatever you decide. Plus, Frank is a really nice and reputable man and would gladly answer any questions you have if you email him.

Have fun!

Just read your question again. Haven't done his city and beach tour but this would be a good option if you really want some beach time but still be able to see some of Mazatlan. But, of course we most likely wouldn't get to see the variety of neighborhoods you would see on the full city tour.

Hope I haven't confused you. If you have any other questions, please ask.

The Copala tour is in the Sierra Madre. We took the ship tour, because Mazaltan Frank was already booked for a city tour.

Its about an hour plus from the ship coming back so its quite far in the mountains. We stopped at many small towns on the way their. Had lunch. and came back. This was our second time doing this tour. The tour guy, we didn't like very well, but we were spoiled with our tour in P.V.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Mazatlan for a land vacation a while back for a week. We did the Copala tour one day to do something different from the beach, fishing, surfing and shopping ;)

We enjoyed this tour alot ! The drive into the mountains is beautiful and the villages are quaint and interesting. I would do this tour again in a heartbeat.

Thank you, that was a very good overview.

I am wondering how long was the tour, just want to be sure to be back to the ship on time.

Thank you:)

We did his all day city tour in 2008. It was really wonderful. I had been to Mazatlan 6 or 7 previous times and liked it but had so much more of an appreciation for Mazatlan after touring with Frank. Plus, I was traveling with my "diva" sister who is hard to please and she loved it.

From what I remember here is what we did: left the cruise terminal and went to a lookout point above Mazatlan. The view was beautiful. You could see the ships docked and the tiny islands off of Mazatlan as well as the cityscape. There is also a little flea market there. From there went to the old part of Mazatlan and went through the Cathedral which is very interesting and beautiful and went through the farmers market. We loved going through the Farmers market. It's not for the weak-hearted as the first couple of rows are just T-shirt, etc merchants and they will hound you. Walk through that area and to the center and you will see where the locals buy their produce, meat, etc. We found it very interesting. From there Frank took us around the back of the market where all the seafood is on display (caught that morning), from there down the Malecon to view some of the historic statues and then to see the cliff divers. We enjoyed this but again, you will be hounded by merchants - just keep saying no thanks and keep walking. It was fun seeing the divers - not like Acapulco but still fun. From there we went to a shop for a quick stop. Primarily jewelry. We weren't there long and got a free shot of teguila so we didn't mind. From there we went back to the older city part of Mazatlan but to an area that is being redeveloped. We got out and walked around and looked at some of the homes being remodeled and then went to a very pretty city square where there were some restaurants and some people doing sand sculptures. Very interesting. From there we went by the Opera House and then to some friends of Frank's house. They sell arts and crafts like pottery at their home. It was nice and nice to meet some people from Mazatlan. From there we went to a gated neighborhood that had some very large homes. I guess alot of city officials and americans live in this area. I had never seen this area so it was interesting. From there we went to Tony's on the Beach for lunch. We had a blast there. The food was good, free shots of teguila and others on our tour were really nice and fun. We walked on the beach for a bit and then Frank took us North to the new developments. In 2008 there wasn't much opened yet but this is the area where the new Riu is open now. Also, had a nice marina. From there he drove us through what would be considered a middle class neighborhood. We saw some of the homes and shopping centers. Again, very interesting as we really saw neighborhoods this day from poor to wealthy. Really a good overview of the city. He asked if we wanted to shop in the Golden Zone before returning to the ship. None did so he took us back to the terminal. It really was our favorite day on this cruise.

I haven't done his Stone Island tour. If you are looking for more of a beach day and not wanting to sight-see as much as we did you might enjoy Stone Island. I've been there and had a nice time but really enjoy the above tour more.

I hope you have a wonderful time whatever you decide. Plus, Frank is a really nice and reputable man and would gladly answer any questions you have if you email him.

Have fun!

Just read your question again. Haven't done his city and beach tour but this would be a good option if you really want some beach time but still be able to see some of Mazatlan. But, of course we most likely wouldn't get to see the variety of neighborhoods you would see on the full city tour.

Hope I haven't confused you. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Thank you, that was a very good overview.

I am wondering how long was the tour, just want to be sure to be back to the ship on time.

Thank you:)

I think we were back by 3pm. Frank will be sure and get you back in time. He is very aware of ship's departure times and his business would really suffer if passengers missed their ships.

Archived