Walkie Talkies

~earthmama~

Yes, they work on the ship; sometimes limited, such as if one of you are in an elevator. My wife took ours on the Triumph recently and for the most part they worked quite well. Might have to experiment with channel selection if there are others on the ship also. Glad you have the vibration mode! I absolutely HATE to hear them buzzing or ringing; too much like the cell phone that I left in the cabin safe turned off to escape while on vacation.

Captain Ronn

We also use walkie talkies on board....they work very well when calling room to room....not so much if you're trying to call from room to say, Lido deck. Take them anyway and give them a try! They sure do beat using your cell phone on board!

Not to sound like a smart*** but wouldn't a phone be just as easy when calling from room to room.

I guess it's obvious that I'm not a fan of walkie talkies due to the potential for damage (water), losing, etc. I have yet to not find someone when I needed it the old fashioned way ("where are you going to be?").

To me, not having one is one less thing to hassle with.

Not to sound like a smart*** but wouldn't a phone be just as easy when calling from room to room.

I guess it's obvious that I'm not a fan of walkie talkies due to the potential for damage (water), losing, etc. I have yet to not find someone when I needed it the old fashioned way ("where are you going to be?").

To me, not having one is one less thing to hassle with.

You don't sound like one at all.....sometimes it's much easier when someone is calling and you are in the bathroom getting ready, and you have the walkie talkie right there with you and you don't have to worry about going and grabbing the phone. Besides, I absolutely hate phones and computers while on vacation. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

We took walkie talkies on our first cruise which was 3 1/2 years ago, after hearing that they were a great way to stay in touch with each other on the ship. We found they were nearly impossible to use because there were so many other sets being used that we kept picking up other conversations. Ours had about 20 channels on them, and they would all pick up other people's pages and beeps. Maybe there are more sophisticated models now, or maybe the ones I got (about $50 at Costco) were too cheap. We quickly abandoned them and just pre-arrange meeting times or leave a sticky note on the mirror for each other. Low tech, but works better for us.

Archived