Motion Sickness options

Harbie

We have never been on a cruise before...Going on the Splendor in October for 7 days :) and we have never used motion sickness med's... I went snorkeling in Mexico a few years back with my mom and the ride in the glass bottom boat made us both sea-sick.:( So I want to be pro-active instead of re-active. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether the motion sickness patch you leave all the time OR a pill you take twice day is better?!? I have never used either. Any suggestions?

Hi,

For motion sickness some recommend and I have used ginger. You can buy capsules, ginger chews or hard ginger candy type. These can typically be bought at health food stores or Wal-mart has the ginger root capsules. These work perfect for me for just general upset stomach. Also great if you eat too much on the ship and have a bellyache. I love ginger. Give it a try. It is all natural and can of course be taken with other medicines. If you feel it is not working then by all means try Bonine.

I personally prefer Bonine to Dramamine. Bonine works great and is less drowsy and less expensive than Dramamine. Sometimes outside the ship infirmary are Meclinzine that you can just go get without even speaking to someone or ask at the pursers desk.

Have a great time.

Bonine is a chewable very small pill that is 24 hrs. Makes it easy to remember to take and easy to actually take since you don't have to worry about water. Non drowsy. Love it!!

where do you find non drowsy bonine? the only stuff I've seen here says it is less drowsy, but not non drowsy...I have issues with things that make you drowsy(like they usually completely knock me) but I also have motion sickness issues and want something OTC, but don't want to be sleepy our entire cruise.

The Bonine works really well. DW is very prone to motion sickness.She starts the Bonine 24 hours before leaving home. Not only does it work on the ship she has been OK on small boats going to excursions.

On the non drowsy part, not sure which one she takes, but she is very prone to falling asleep from meds and has never done so on the Bonine.

Ed

where do you find non drowsy bonine? the only stuff I've seen here says it is less drowsy, but not non drowsy...I have issues with things that make you drowsy(like they usually completely knock me) but I also have motion sickness issues and want something OTC, but don't want to be sleepy our entire cruise.

I'm the same way, things usually knock me completely out...I found the less drowsy Bonine and thanks to some helpful CC'ers, I was told to take it at bedtime every night which would help with the sleepiness factor of it, starting with the night BEFORE my cruise....I never had a problem with drowsiness or lethargy during the day...On CC'ers advice, I also continued the Bonine for a couple of days after I got home, which helped with the rolling motion I was still feeling...LOL

I can also highly recommend the sea sick bands...I wore them nonstop from the time I got on the ship until I got off....and the ONLY time I was nauseated on the ship was when I took them off one night for a shower....once I put them back on, the nausea went away....I got mine at Wal Mart for $9.00 a pair...they were terry cloth material with the pressure point in the center....I saw some on a travel website the other day that were brightly colored/decorated plastic ones for $19.99 a pair that looked really cute and you could leave them on while swimming/showering,etc...

Good luck!

We have never been on a cruise before...Going on the Splendor in October for 7 days :) and we have never used motion sickness med's... I went snorkeling in Mexico a few years back with my mom and the ride in the glass bottom boat made us both sea-sick.:( So I want to be pro-active instead of re-active. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether the motion sickness patch you leave all the time OR a pill you take twice day is better?!? I have never used either. Any suggestions?

Get the patches from your doctor, son gets sea sick and they work like a charm for him!

I've taken that on every cruise and I am prone to motion sickness. The only time I felt drowsy was a few days in to the cruise at the end of a port day when I had not been getting enough sleep. I was pretty tired anyway and wanted to fall asleep at the dinner table. BUT, other than that, no problems at all! On my first cruise, the only reason I took them was because I have become prone to carsickness in my adulthood (Never bothered me as a child), and thought I'd rather be safe than sorry. We were cruising in the Gulf of Mexico with a hurricane! After a couple of days, I thought, "I'm fine! I don't need to keep taking these." About 4 hours after I should've taken the next dose, I woke up in the middle of the night sick as a dog. Fortunately, I brought some ginger gum, immediately started chewing that and took more Bonine and was fine within an hour. Best to start early and stay steady with the Bonine if motion sickness is an issue for you. On that same trip, I brought Sea-Bands with me, but didn't seem to need them taking the Bonine...and they weren't cute! LOL! I let my aunt use them and she had great success with them.

I would have to say ginger, the synthetic alternatives have to many adverse side effects escpecially when mixed with alcohol.

just my 2¢ ;)

thanks...I saw some pure ginger chewies at the health food store the other so I bet that would work.

I'm the same way, things usually knock me completely out...I found the less drowsy Bonine and thanks to some helpful CC'ers, I was told to take it at bedtime every night which would help with the sleepiness factor of it, starting with the night BEFORE my cruise....I never had a problem with drowsiness or lethargy during the day...On CC'ers advice, I also continued the Bonine for a couple of days after I got home, which helped with the rolling motion I was still feeling...LOL

I can also highly recommend the sea sick bands...I wore them nonstop from the time I got on the ship until I got off....and the ONLY time I was nauseated on the ship was when I took them off one night for a shower....once I put them back on, the nausea went away....I got mine at Wal Mart for $9.00 a pair...they were terry cloth material with the pressure point in the center....I saw some on a travel website the other day that were brightly colored/decorated plastic ones for $19.99 a pair that looked really cute and you could leave them on while swimming/showering,etc...

Good luck!

I never even thought about taking them at night. It makes since that you would sleep off any drowsy effects it might cause and just be left with the helpful part when you wake up! Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the bands as well.

I too bought less drowsy bonine and unfortunately it left me pretty drowsy, and I had to stop taking it the next day! I was snoozing and drooling on the beach chair! so I switched to Ginger (Gravol Ginger here in Canada) and it worked great.

I use dramammine and it helps me out. However, on our last cruise it didn't help me out at all. I was sick 3 times due to motion sickness. We heard several ppl complain that the sea's were really bad during our trip so IDK but dramammine did not help me out. I saw several ppl wear the patches and I actually asked 5 ppl about it and each one of them told me that it has worked for them and not once during our trip did they feel any motion sickness. So on our next cruise I am getting those patches!!! lol :)

My husband and I used Bonine on our last cruise because someone here recommended it as non-drowsy but we both ended up napping during sea days. I felt almost as drowsy as when I used Dramamine. Also, a friend got the patch and said that it still made her drowsy. And I read online that the patch could also cause vision problems. Many people use it and are just fine, but since I like to read and do logic and word puzzles on vacations, I didn't want to impair my already not-so-great vision. But whatever you use, my personal feeling is that I'd rather be somewhat drowsy than nauseous so it's up to you.

Have a great time on your cruise!!!

When I was younger, I NEVER got seasick, but as I get older, I do notice that I am becoming more prone to carsickness. I'd rather not find out if I am also more prone to seasickness LOL

My GF has always taken the non-drowsy dramamine that she buys at Wal-Mart. She says she likes it.

I'd like to give the non-drowsy bonine a try. Does anyone know where this can be purchased locally? I'm in the New Orleans area and everytime I'm at Wal-Mart or the grocery store, all I ever see is the Dramamine brand.

Thanks!

Archived