Kid friendly excursions for Mexican Riviera cruise

Travalerie

We have been, but haven't done much. We leave in 18 days. WOO HOO!! We've booked Dolphin Encounter at Aquaventuras (with the water park) in Puerta Vallarta, and in Mazatlan Randi's Happy Horses for a beach ride and then beach time. In Cabo my DH is going scuba diving, so we will probably just stay on the ship.....

In Puerto Vallarta a great tour with kids is the Pirate Cruise on the Marigalante. Here is link with more info:

http://www.piratesofthebaypv.com/

In Mazatlan we took a taxi into town and went to the Aquarium. It is a nice, small aquarium that can be seen in a couple of hours. Stone Island is a popular choice for a beach day.

In Cabo, there are some nice beaches and the glass factory is fun with kids if you think they would enjoy seeing glassblowing. The glassbottom boat excursions around the arch are fun. You can see fish and see lions on the rocks.

In Puerto Vallarta a great tour with kids is the Pirate Cruise on the Marigalante. Here is link with more info:

http://www.piratesofthebaypv.com/

In Mazatlan we took a taxi into town and went to the Aquarium. It is a nice, small aquarium that can be seen in a couple of hours. Stone Island is a popular choice for a beach day.

In Cabo, there are some nice beaches and the glass factory is fun with kids if you think they would enjoy seeing glassblowing. The glassbottom boat excursions around the arch are fun. You can see fish and see lions on the rocks.

Great suggestions. I like all of these. How far is the aquarium? Is the beach really going to be an option in January? Do you know if its warm enough to get in the water?

Great suggestions. I like all of these. How far is the aquarium? Is the beach really going to be an option in January? Do you know if its warm enough to get in the water?

We did the Mexican Riviera the first week of January for three years in a row and we always went to the beach. It's not the Carib - the water is colder, darker and deeper, but it was always warm enough.

We don't do excursions involving animals, but always found plenty to do:

Puerto Vallarta: Krystal Resort has a playground, kids pool, huge grownup pool, good food/drinks, lovely beach with palapas for shade, showers, etc. And, it's a short walk from the ship.

Mazatlan: Walk to the ferry to Stone Island and spend the day on the beach at one of the restaurants.

Cabo: The Land's End tour leaves right from the pier or hire one of the little boats (bring your own life jackets) to take you out to see the rock formations/seals etc.

Best,

Mia

When are you going? We went whale watching in Cabo and our daughter LOVED it. I enjoyed it as well; there's really nothing that can prepare you for seeing a whale breach a foot from you and seeing the sheer size of that tail coming out and then back into the water.

We also did a dolphin encounter in PV, and there was a sealion encounter available at the same place. They had a water park as well (slides, etc.) but we didn't have much time to use them. It was my daughter's favourite day because of the sealions. I can't remember the name of the park now... but it took pretty much the entire port day, including cabs there and back, the encounters, and the hour or so we had to play on the slides.

We didn't stop in Mazatlan on our MR cruise, so I can't recommend any family experiences there. They do have a great beach, though! :)

The aquarium is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the port. Here is a link. It's in Spanish, but you can get a flavor of the sea life there.

http://www.acuariomazatlan.gob.mx/

We went there first and then had lunch at Senor Frogs which is actually fairly kid friendly in the middle of the day. Then a bit of shopping and back to the ship.

Not sure about the water temps in January, but we have been in late November and the water was cool in Cabo, but warmer in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

Archived