The cave tubing walk - ok with back problems?

aharris0614

My in-laws want to do the cave tubing when we are in Belize next month, however, my FIL has back problems from an injury he sustained in an airplane accident a couple years ago. He actually has compressed vertebrae - which makes him able to walk, just slower than most. Is the jungle walk an 'intense one' - ie: lots of up and down or over things, uneven terrain, uphill or downhill, fast or slow pace? Anyone with back issues ever done this?

Thanks

Ann Marie

I would definately not describe the walk as "intense." I had a fractured hip when we went with Wet n Wild and it was okay for me. The small group tours are much slower than the ship tours because the guides stop along the way to tell you all the about the plants, trees, etc. Make sure you are in port long enough not to have to be in a hurry. The ground is somewhat uneven in spots because of tree roots, etc. I remember the trail being slightly uphill in spots and there are a few small sets of steps (about 4 or so). I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

I really have to say I don't recommend doing cave tubing if you can't walk that well. On our tour, we had two women who walked fine, but tired very easily. They lasted about 10 minutes of the 45 minute hike before they were already holding the group back because we were constantly waiting for them to catch up, and this was after two other men had offered to carry their tubes for them (DH being one of them, and naturally they didn't say thank you once).

For the sake of your fellow passengers, if it says it's a vigorous tour, trust it at its word. If you couldn't keep up, it'll end up affecting the tour experience for everyone else, as it did with us on our cave tuing experience. Those two women had no business being on that tour, and it slowed down the rest of us as a result because we were constantly waiting for them to catch up, and our guide had to spend most of his time keeping an eye on them. Our tour guide was very patient with them, though, despite the fact that the rest of us ended up tipping a little extra to compensate for the lack of a tip on their part; they were apparently upset that they weren't properly warned on how strenuous the tour would be.

Just my two cents. Please think twice before doing this. :o

We did the cave tubing two years ago. We booked it with a private group and I would never think to say, someone with back problems should do it. I have back problems and this (i hate to say) has caused me to be out of shape. I thought the walk was pretty tough.......I was huffing and puffing my way along. The uneven ground and rocks didn't help much either. Part of the problem is that the port doesn't give you alot of extra time to piddle along on the walk........the drive is LONG and so you have to hussle when you get there to get to the caves and down in time for the LONG drive back. I loved it but would never do it again.......save it for my kids. I was 45 at the time, and felt every bit of it.

Trisha

Archived