Blue Lagoon, then..??

justPenguin

We're spending a lazy beach day at Coco Cay the day before, so I'd like to actually DO something or shop, explore Nassau, but still want to go to Blue Lagoon as well to do the sea lion encounter. I will probably book direct as opposed to through RCCL ($45 difference.)

My questions are:

How long is the sea lion encounter?

What times does it's catamaran go back to the pick up point? Where is the pick up point?

What are some good activity ideas for an almost-30 couple to do in Nassau?

Thanks everyone, you're all always such a wealth of info. :)

We're spending a lazy beach day at Coco Cay the day before, so I'd like to actually DO something or shop, explore Nassau, but still want to go to Blue Lagoon as well to do the sea lion encounter. I will probably book direct as opposed to through RCCL ($45 difference.)

My questions are:

How long is the sea lion encounter?

What times does it's catamaran go back to the pick up point? Where is the pick up point?

What are some good activity ideas for an almost-30 couple to do in Nassau?

Thanks everyone, you're all always such a wealth of info. :)

I'm also looking for the exact same advice...

I'm also looking for the exact same advice...

You can find all your answers on thier websites.

www.dolphinencounters.com

Sea lion encounters are at 8:30am, 10:30 am and 1:30 pm (this is when the ferries leave for the 20 minute trip to the island. Encounters start when you arrive on the island).

Return Ferries are at 1pm, 2pm and 4pm.

The entire program, from Ferry departure to Return to dock takes 3 1/2 hours, unless you spend additional time on the island.

Last boat back to the dock is at 4pm.. arriving at the dock approx 4:30pm

Blue Lagoon is a big, big waste of money. The beach is very small and not much to do. For $45.00 you get lunch and a ferryboat ride. You have to rent all of your water floation, pay for the water recreation toys. There are stones on the beach and in the water, the volleyball net tie downs have algae growing on them. This was the biggest ripoff at $45.00 per person. Oh and dont wait to leave on the 4:00 ferry because then you have to sit and wait for the employees to load up because they roll up the carpet at 5:00 in Nassau.

You can find all your answers on thier websites.

Thanks - I've been reading the website already.... I think I saw in another post - you're friends w/ the owner's or something, right ?

Sea lion encounters are at 8:30am, 10:30 am and 1:30 pm (this is when the ferries leave for the 20 minute trip to the island. Encounters start when you arrive on the island).

Return Ferries are at 1pm, 2pm and 4pm.

The entire program, from Ferry departure to Return to dock takes 3 1/2 hours, unless you spend additional time on the island.

Last boat back to the dock is at 4pm.. arriving at the dock approx 4:30pm

Epic plans to be at the dock from 12noon - 7pm. The 1:30pm trip would be the only option, but that means we'd need to take the last ferry at 4pm. Does that mean that the last sea lion excursion is only 2hrs and not as long ?? Also, is there anything to do at the port from 4:30pm - 7pm ?? Just wondering what to expect...

Blue Lagoon is a big, big waste of money. The beach is very small and not much to do. For $45.00 you get lunch and a ferryboat ride. You have to rent all of your water floation, pay for the water recreation toys. There are stones on the beach and in the water, the volleyball net tie downs have algae growing on them. This was the biggest ripoff at $45.00 per person. Oh and dont wait to leave on the 4:00 ferry because then you have to sit and wait for the employees to load up because they roll up the carpet at 5:00 in Nassau.

If you do the sea lion tour wouldn't that take up the full time ? Is the sea lion area also "ghetto" ?? Anyone ever done it ?? I was close to booking tonight and now reading this thread I'm going to wait a little until I do more research.... nervous now.....

If you do the sea lion tour wouldn't that take up the full time ? Is the sea lion area also "ghetto" ?? Anyone ever done it ?? I was close to booking tonight and now reading this thread I'm going to wait a little until I do more research.... nervous now.....

We did the Sea Lion and Dolphin encounter last September and it was great....

We liked it so much, we took the first ferry (8:30AM) over for our dolphin excursion and they had to kick us out on the last ferry at 4PM.:D

The place is wonderful....

The excursion itself will be about 2 hours with 20 minute ride there and back.

I have no idea what the heck the other poster is talking about, unless he wanted a beach day on an oceanfront, long stretch of beach instead of a quiet lagoon inside an island with no waves.

Scubagirl is a local who goes to Blue Lagoon on non cruise ship days for relaxation, so that speaks to me about how good a spot it is....(go where the locals go)

I took her recommendation last year and it was the best day we have had in 6 stops in Nassau thus far.

We are planning on returning there in November for a beach day, since there are only two ships in port that day...

Your loss if you skip this wonderful gem of a spot in Nassau.

Bill

Thanks - I've been reading the website already.... I think I saw in another post - you're friends w/ the owner's or something, right ?

Yes, back some years ago we were friends.. he's since moved to DR and we've lost touch. Still a wonderful spot.

Epic plans to be at the dock from 12noon - 7pm. The 1:30pm trip would be the only option, but that means we'd need to take the last ferry at 4pm. Does that mean that the last sea lion excursion is only 2hrs and not as long ?? Also, is there anything to do at the port from 4:30pm - 7pm ?? Just wondering what to expect...

Most of Nassau shuts down around 5:30.. even earlier when it get's dark early.

Marina Village at Atlantis is still open in the evenings.. and the bars and restaurants are open as well in and around town.

There is nothing "Ghetto" about this place.. i don't get the prior post.. I don't know what they were expecting. It's a private LAGOON.. not open water.. Some people need to be distracted/amused all the time.. for me.. this is the perfect spot to relax in the hammock or explore the pristine beaches.

Mats and tubes are FREE.. if you need something more, there are inexpensive Trikes and kayaks available.

Here's some of MY personal pictures.. hardly ghetto.. more like paradise.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/569019735ZTMpfa

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570114841yENJJP

We did the Sea Lion and Dolphin encounter last September and it was great....

We liked it so much, we took the first ferry (8:30AM) over for our dolphin excursion and they had to kick us out on the last ferry at 4PM.:D

The place is wonderful....

The excursion itself will be about 2 hours with 20 minute ride there and back.

I have no idea what the heck the other poster is talking about, unless he wanted a beach day on an oceanfront, long stretch of beach instead of a quiet lagoon inside an island with no waves.

Scubagirl is a local who goes to Blue Lagoon on non cruise ship days for relaxation, so that speaks to me about how good a spot it is....(go where the locals go)

I took her recommendation last year and it was the best day we have had in 6 stops in Nassau thus far.

We are planning on returning there in November for a beach day, since there are only two ships in port that day...

Your loss if you skip this wonderful gem of a spot in Nassau.

Bill

Hi is a question for you,we are going with the ship their how many extra is the sealion? Want to take my DD over to do that can i see it for free?

There is nothing "Ghetto" about this place.. i don't get the prior post.. I don't know what they were expecting. It's a private LAGOON.. not open water.. Some people need to be distracted/amused all the time.. for me.. this is the perfect spot to relax in the hammock or explore the pristine beaches.

Mats and tubes are FREE.. if you need something more, there are inexpensive Trikes and kayaks available.

Here's some of MY personal pictures.. hardly ghetto.. more like paradise.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/569019735ZTMpfa

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570114841yENJJP

Hi Scubagirrl thank for the picture here is the question for you we will be on the dream. Which will be their for 6 hours total. Want to do the sealion with my DD and go to the beach. Can we do both? Also ship is charge 75.00 with lunch. How much extra is the sealion?

Hi Scubagirrl thank for the picture here is the question for you we will be on the dream. Which will be their for 6 hours total. Want to do the sealion with my DD and go to the beach. Can we do both? Also ship is charge 75.00 with lunch. How much extra is the sealion?

If you book thru their website, the sealions AND the beach is $80pp. This includes transportation from the Paradise island Ferry Terminal (a $4 cab ride from the dock). Check the schedules.. your timing may be limited.

Lunch is $12 add'l.

If you book the beach with the cruiseship of $75.. you'll have to pay the add'l $80 for the sea lions.. Best to book them both directly.

We did the Blue Lagoon in Sept and weren't real impressed with it. We got off to a bad start as someone told us that Nassau is an hour behind us so we missed the 8:30 ferry and when we went to get the 10:30 one we were actually there at 11 instead of what we thought was 10 and missed that one too and ended up waiting an hour and a half for the noon ferry. By the time we got to the island it was 1:15. When they gave us our bracelets at the window on Nassau, they didn't fasten them on our wrists or give us fasteners so were weren't wearing them. No one asked to see them when we got on the island, we had no idea what we could use and what we couldn't. Ends up that we should have had access to all the non-motorized water toys and such but we were made to think that we had to pay $20 to use them for the day. The snorkel excursion we were expecting to take had been cancelled. And I hate to say this, but there was a bad smell, I couldn't make up my mind what it was, sewage smell or stinky water smell. It is actually a beautiful place if you want to lay in a hammock and sway in the breeze and look up through the tree branches at the sky, which I did. We even did a little snorkeling right there at the beach, we had our own equipment, otherwise you had to rent that too. It was pretty much a wasted trip for us and I doubt that we do it again. And the float mats were $10 to rent for the day, not free. I think I might do it again if I was alone but DH will not go back.

Just for the record.. when getting bracelets from the Ferry Terminal Office you will be given just the bracelet. Someone will go around while you are waiting for your ferry and put them on you. (this is part fo the reason they want you there 30 minutes ahead of time). They should also give you a voucher for lunch if it's included.

The bracelet denotes the programs and services that you paid for. Without it, you will be asked to pay for everything seperately.

Nassau well water has a "funny" smell to it, and it usually is treated to take the chemical smell out. When the treatment "pod" needs to be replaced, you'll start to smell the chemicals again.

The price of a Beach Day includes a nice grilled lunch, Choice of : 100% Angus Beef Burger, 100% all beef Hot Dog, Chicken Burger (real chicken breast) or a Veggie Burger, chips and a fruit punch, and unlimited use of water toys: Big Boss Noodles, Inner-Tubes, and unsinkable float mats!

We did get the lunch as we got there at 1:15 and were pretty hungry after waiting for the ferry for an hour and a half. No one asked to see our bracelets or offered to fix them to us or explain what all we were allowed to use either while boarding the ferry or when we arrived at the island. I saw the signs that said you could rent things and they had a section out in the water that was roped off that had water toys that you had to pay to use. I have no idea if that was included in the all inclusive beach day price that we paid. I had to go to the gift shop to inquire about the snorkel excursion and just didn't think to ask what all we could use with the problems that we'd already had getting there. I did tell the clerk that we had purchased the beach day package and she didn't offer any other information up. So we ate lunch, walked a little way down the beach and found a couple chairs under an umbrella to drop our things and made our way over to the water. When we were leaving at 4 while waiting for the ferry to get there, we did get to see them feeding the dolphins and watched them for a couple of minutes. Since it was the last ferry leaving the island for the day, we had to wait while the staff loaded up with us. When we got back to Nassau, they offered to take us back over to where the cruise ship was docked for $3 pp which we took them up on. It wasn't a total loss but we sure didn't get much for the $45 pp that we paid.:)

Hi is a question for you,we are going with the ship their how many extra is the sealion? Want to take my DD over to do that can i see it for free?

I would take scubagirl's advice and book both thru them direct if you want DD to participate in the sea lion excursion.

If you just do the beach day, you can walk between the various enclosures and watch the animals and experiences. (just not participate)

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

We did the sea lion encounter at blue lagoon. We had about an hour after the ship docked to roam around Nassau until meeting time at 9;45. Not much was open until 10 am. Took ferry to the island. We left blue lagoon at the last ferry to get back to ship on time, (4:00) at 115. had about 2 hours to spend in Nassau, but wish we had more time to enjoy the beaches at the lagoon. If the ship left at 6, we could have stayed until 4.

By the way, Highly recommend sea lion encounter. You don't see that anywhere, swimming with dolphins is great, but can do many places.

Archived