first time with thomson

After reading the "debate" on other threads about how good or dire thomson ships are supposed to be:rolleyes: just had to write and say that we are going to cruise with a very open mind about our holidays.

When we first went with OV the same lines came out then but we loved it (hence 6 sailings on her)

Ok older ships are more dated (that's what older means) and these newer ships are bigger. But some people don't like big ships with loads of passengers on and some people don't like older small ships.

What I am trying to say is that everyone has different tastes and it wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing.

A holiday is what you make of it and I am looking forward to mine and won't be looking for the slightest thing to moan about like some that we have met aboard ship

Only 4 weeks to go and getting excited now:D

We are going on the Celebration on the 28th of october to the Suez Canal and Egypt ( we went down the Panama Canal last year and he would like to say he has done both) and then in March we are going on the Dream to Havana etc ( i forget what they are called)

I can't wait love it in the Caribbean:D

We are going on the Celebration on the 28th of october to the Suez Canal and Egypt ( we went down the Panama Canal last year and he would like to say he has done both) and then in March we are going on the Dream to Havana etc ( i forget what they are called)

I can't wait love it in the Caribbean:D

Fantastic,, we were on the celebration doing the red sea and it was brill, and as for the caribbean just love it although would like to do Havana , you will have a wonderful time :cool:

mrs.c

Ok older ships are more dated (that's what older means) and these newer ships are bigger. But some people don't like big ships with loads of passengers on and some people don't like older small ships.

What I am trying to say is that everyone has different tastes and it wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing.

A holiday is what you make of it and I am looking forward to mine and won't be looking for the slightest thing to moan about like some that we have met aboard ship

I'm with you on this one Montytania. There's nothing wrong with a bit of "character". Let's hope that they keep the open dining going 'til we've been on at least. I've heard a few Thomson cruisers complain about this now including a work colleague.

Apparently there's even a feature on the ship in the local evening paper tonight following on from the W/Dog prog. It would seem that there are a significant number deciding to cancel so we might have the ship to ourselves yet!

ET

I'm with you on this one Montytania. There's nothing wrong with a bit of "character". Let's hope that they keep the open dining going 'til we've been on at least. I've heard a few Thomson cruisers complain about this now including a work colleague.

Apparently there's even a feature on the ship in the local evening paper tonight following on from the W/Dog prog. It would seem that there are a significant number deciding to cancel so we might have the ship to ourselves yet!

ET

They had better keep the open dining ! Just watched a video on youtube about cabins. Hope that is a one off:eek:

Slight worries coming on again.

montytania, please attach the link so that I can be amused too.

While you're at, it sort out your countdown clock!

ET

I don't know what I have done wrong on my clock ! the first one in October I have tried many a time to do it but that is all that keeps coming up. Is the second one wrong as well? (I've not noticed)

I just googled Youtube and when it came up looked for Thomson Dream. The video is called "Thomson Dream - what it is really like"

You know I am not very clever on computer :o I only can do the basics lol

Is this what you mean?

Our bathroom was nothing lke this! The floors were wooden, not tiled, amd we had a proper shower unit.

Are we sure this is the THOMSON Dream?

I wonder if it was one of the single cabins which might well have originally for crew. however that grab rail kind of suggests a disabled cabin?

Montytania we have just returned from the celebration and have wrote a brief review on here.

I had never been on a cruise before and had some very preconceived ideas esp as I'm 34 and mate 31 (and reading some comments on this site) I knew it wasn't going to be the like P&O, RCI etc and spent weeks before trying to undersell it to my friend who I travelled with I will sum up the whole experiance in 1 word AMAZING :D

You are right they are older ships but the atmosphere, service and food made up for anything that may or may not have needed up dating IMO what's the point in having a huge luxury liner all singing and dancing if there is no atmosphere and never seeing the same people twice in your holiday (may be good in some cases but you know what I mean)

We had 2 single o/s cabins they were 100 times better than what we expected we thought be single beds like when were kids but they weren't you could comfortably have 2 in the cabin loads wardrobe space etc

I have never known service like it they couldn't do enough for you and food and drink was there 24/7. the entertainment was great fun and you could tell they worked hard to give you an excellent holiday.

All in all I enjoyed it so much that when returned booked Ancient Discovery for April and Adriatic Explorer for Oct canx my RCI TA to do a 5 day St Petersburg (then at least can compare a company like RCI) and I'm waiting for W11/12 to come on sale for Thomson TA.

All in all I loved it the decor is secondary when everything else is done so well and as someone previously mentioned you will always get people who moan do what we did stay away from them and enjoy your holiday after all you have worked hard and paid for it yourself and go with open mind. If you enjoy it half as much as we did I know you will have a fabulous time :D

Obviously this is just my opinion but I can only speak as I find

montytania,wife and i are on celebration 28th oct,we went on the destiny last year and though an old ship it floats thats all i,m concerned about.the crew are brilliant and everyone says celebration crew are too.food was good and service, so who cares how old the ship is.thomson cruises suit us as we dont go for dining suit and dicky bows/evening gown etc.we like to relax and enjoy.were quite happy to eat in lido all week.if you like to dress up to dine then you can do that too.the atmosphere onboard is good so dont worry just come and enjoy.ade.:o

montytania,wife and i are on celebration 28th oct,we went on the destiny last year and though an old ship it floats thats all i,m concerned about.the crew are brilliant and everyone says celebration crew are too.food was good and service, so who cares how old the ship is.thomson cruises suit us as we dont go for dining suit and dicky bows/evening gown etc.we like to relax and enjoy.were quite happy to eat in lido all week.if you like to dress up to dine then you can do that too.the atmosphere onboard is good so dont worry just come and enjoy.ade.:o

I keep being optimistic about the cruises that I have booked and then I read or see something to worry me again. I know that I shouldn't listen to those that knock the ships because some people just like to look for the worst. I think I am slightly worried because I have booked 2 separate cruises and should have done one at a time. But I didn't want to miss out on the Cuban Adventure. I am sure that everything will be fine going with an open mind

not long to go now

Hi mancmatt

St Petersburg is brilliant:D Too much to see in 2 days:(

We went on the Jewel of the Seas - it was great:)

Linda, I'm looking forward to St Petersburg I found it just by chance when looking at changing my RCI TA. it also includes Tallin in Estonia which i'm sure will be an experiance if nothing else ;)

Matthew

Linda, I'm looking forward to St Petersburg I found it just by chance when looking at changing my RCI TA. it also includes Tallin in Estonia which i'm sure will be an experiance if nothing else ;)

Matthew

Linda is right, Matthew. St P is absolutely fabulous - biggest problem is deciding what to visit there are so many stunning places to see. You will love Tallin too - just walk off the ship to a lovely Olde Worlde, cobbled town with very distinctive architecture and great atmosphere.

Enjoy all your planned travels - you've certainly hit the ground running!!! I don't blame you! Hopefully they will all prove to be as great as your first trip on Celebration (although different) - we keep thinking we can't better a trip, then go on another and find more to excite us. Remember to report back though and let us know how you get on. :)

Matthew

Hi Matthew

Tallin is wonderful too, although it rained when we were there, so would love to go back (good excuse:D)

We went to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallin and Oslo - all good except not keen on Helsinki.

In S.P. we went on a canal trip (a must-do) then to the Yusapov (Spelling?) Palace, where Rasputin was murdered and the second day took a coach trip round (Easy St Petersburg) meant to be for oldies:eek: but very good for getting your bearings. My brother went to St Catherine's Palace and the Hermitage on his cruise. There are so many things to see, you could spend a week there, and still not see it all. Don't be put off by the communist looking blocks of flats by the dockside. Get in the coach and head for the city and you will be amazed:D

We are going on the Celebration on the 28th of october to the Suez Canal and Egypt

Hi, we have been both up and down the Suez with Thomsons and been on the Celebration 5 times. You'll have a brilliant time. Don't forget to take a camera. I have so many wonderful pics. And don't forget to wave at the guards out in the desert along the way. They get bored and love the attention.

One important tip is take a small bug spray. We had no problem the first time but last October there were tiny desert flies hovering around the sunbeds, and most people couldn't be bothered with the nuisance. With a good bug repellant they would leave you alone and the views are to die for!!

If you want to ask me anything else feel free :)

Ali

Hi, we have been both up and down the Suez with Thomsons and been on the Celebration 5 times. You'll have a brilliant time. Don't forget to take a camera. I have so many wonderful pics. And don't forget to wave at the guards out in the desert along the way. They get bored and love the attention.

One important tip is take a small bug spray. We had no problem the first time but last October there were tiny desert flies hovering around the sunbeds, and most people couldn't be bothered with the nuisance. With a good bug repellant they would leave you alone and the views are to die for!!

If you want to ask me anything else feel free :)

Ali

did you do the crise that takes in Egypt, Israel and Jordon? If so what currency did you use? We were thinking of taking a bit of each but not really sure what to do

Archived