Can you pre book a van?

ken987

Hi,

Last time we were in st. Maartin it was a madhouse to get a cab. Can you pre arrange for a van to the beach and back ? I'm hoping an old friend Waterdave sees this also and responds with his opinion too. I forgot to exchange email addresses!

Ken in Boston!!!

You could rent a car, mini-van, or van and drive yourself. That is what we do. It is very easy to get around and the roads are good. We really enjoy the freedon of having our own transportation. If you have enough people, it can save a lot of money. We are a family of 5 and usually travel with my parents, making us a party of seven. We split the cost of the vehicle and save a bundle on cab fare.

Hi,

I read your comment on renting cars in St Maarten. We are going December 15h and were also planning on renting a vehicle. It will be our

first time on the island. Is it safe to drive? Where do you recommend we

rent? Is there rental companies right at the pier?

Thanks for your reply.

Linda

You could rent a car, mini-van, or van and drive yourself. That is what we do. It is very easy to get around and the roads are good. We really enjoy the freedon of having our own transportation. If you have enough people, it can save a lot of money. We are a family of 5 and usually travel with my parents, making us a party of seven. We split the cost of the vehicle and save a bundle on cab fare.

Hi,

Last time we were in st. Maartin it was a madhouse to get a cab. Can you pre arrange for a van to the beach and back ? I'm hoping an old friend Waterdave sees this also and responds with his opinion too. I forgot to exchange email addresses!

Ken in Boston!!!

I've never heard of prebooking a van from the Cruise Facility to the beach unless it was part of an island tour.

You can try, though. The newly redone St. Maarten Taxi Association website has a Reservations form. Give it a try and report back.

gary

Hi,

I read your comment on renting cars in St Maarten. We are going December 15h and were also planning on renting a vehicle. It will be our

first time on the island. Is it safe to drive? Where do you recommend we

rent? Is there rental companies right at the pier?

Thanks for your reply.

Linda

I feel that it is very safe to drive there. I have done it at least 3 times. I have lost count. If you want to have freedom to go where you want and/or have a large group, this is the way to go. Cab fares can add up if you go to multiple locations. Do not leave anything valuable in your car!

Driving is on the right. The roads are very good. Some of the smaller beaches have dirt roads with pot-holes that lead to them. If you keep to the more frequented places, you should not have trouble. It is a fairly small island, so it is hard to get lost. There are plenty of signs posted all around. The traffic can be a little congested in Phillipsburg towards late afternoon. You just need to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship.

St Martin has a very modern and large pier area. When you exit the main area, there is a building that houses all of the car rental agencies. It is near the same area where you would catch a taxi. I usually pre-reserve with Hertz since I usually need a van. If you do this, take care to select the correct location. You want to select the Phillipsburg pier when you reserve. They will give you a map at the car rental place.

Good Luck!

Archived