what's your fave tanning lotion?

MamaParrotHead

MamaParrotHead -

Have you been to the Caribbean before? The reason I ask is that I'm worried you are going to fry to a crisp! I'm olive complected, and I can pretty much go all summer in the midwest without sunscreen and never burn. But man do I burn if I'm not careful in the Caribbean. I would hate for your vacation to be ruined by being so uncomfortable! I usually bring and wear 30 spf while there, also bring 15 and after I get a base tan I'm usually okay in 15, but I still have to be careful. If you're getting a base tan at a salon you might be okay with just 15. But I would really recommend bringing some 30 along just in case. (of course you can undoubtedly buy it on the ship)

My husband, the very pale skinned doofus, thought he was tough last year and went the first day at the beach all day without sunscreen. Boy did he regret it. He burned so badly. He had blisters on his head.

Anyway - just be careful. That sun is just nothing like what we have up here.

If you've been to the Caribbean and you know what works for you - then just disregard all of this! :)

I'm like you though, I don't have the time or opportunity to get much sun during the year, so I do like to get a little color in the Caribbean. It seems like my only opportunity once a year. I never get too much though - maybe if I had two weeks!

Has anyone used the five min. spray tan offered in the salons.Do they protect like a tan would? Does it look like a tan and how long does it last? Thanks :)

Mrs aquarius, I tried Mystic Tan at my tanning salon before my last cruise and was not really happy with it. They say it is suppose to last from a week to ten days . . . mine lasted for about two days. Had five sessions (every three days) and then switched over to the usual tanning bed. Used the beds every other day for about an additional week (and I haven't a clue what the spf number was on the lotion they gave me). All I know is that by the time I got to the Caribbean, I had a base tan and using my usual gel (don't like lotion) . . . I didn't burn and was as brown as a berry at the end of the cruise. Wish I could remember what it is I use . . . know that the spf is 8 and the gel is orange in color (but it's not a bronzer). Darn . . . my mind is mush because I just can't remember the name. It's sold in the drug store for about eight or nine dollars and one tube lasted for the entire seven day cruise. (I do use something a lot stronger on my face and usually a hat, but . . . my face was tan too)!

Thanks Ladycaveat,neat, I will try the tanning beds for some color. I had to have a breast reduction because of bad cells .I have deep scars. I read somewhere that the beds help cover these type scars. I hope so .Will let you all know. Most of these scars don't show but some swim wear it is very noticeable. :(

Thanks Ladycaveat,neat, I will try the tanning beds for some color. I had to have a breast reduction because of bad cells .I have deep scars. I read somewhere that the beds help cover these type scars. I hope so .Will let you all know. Most of these scars don't show but some swim wear it is very noticeable. :(

Don't know if you are like me, but I couldn't stand the "lie down" beds (felt like I was in a coffin) . . . I liked the "stand up" booths much better. Sorry about the scars and fingers are crossed for you that the tanning salon helps. Just remember to wear your eye covers . . . .

After reading this thread, it sounds as if the OP should have called around to her local tanning salons and gotten the best info on if the tanning bed solutions are any good outside and any other recommendations they might have.Coming here and asking all the nice , caring and helpful people here was bound to bring out many different opions and advice,including my own:D ! Before we traveled in April on a western Caribbean cruise, DH and I tanned in a tanning bed every other day for 7 weeks prior to going.We had a beautiful base tan but even using a tanning lotion(with spf 8) we burned ( not bad) by the second day we were there.I think because we did alot of water activities and the water reflects the sun alot more.So there are many other factors to consider when choosing the right lotion for you.By the way, Lady Caveat, I also had breast reduction surgery due to breast cancer treatment and the tanning bed worked great at helping to cover those scars that show!:)

MamaParrotHead - you may just be the rudest person on these boards!

Use your SPF 4 and have fun with the blisters you're going to get!

You asked a question - people like myself were just trying to help. Stop being so rude! Your original post wasn't very clear that you were just looking for info on lotions to use in tanning beds...seemed like you wanted some ideas on what to use in the actual sun too.

Like everyone else has already told you - relax, breathe. Your vacation obviously can't come soon enough.

Now, I won't even get started on the dangers of a tanning bed!!! :)

Guest Time2gocruzn
TRUST me, you'd KNOW if I were freaking out. Just because I defend myself and my RIGHT to make a CHOICE doesn't mean I let some internet bulletin board get to me. :p

I am always surprised when a person asks a simple question and others automatically assume you are an idiot about the subject and feel the need to tell you things like you are ignorant or something. OP didn't ask for or need a verbal spanking about her choices about sun, nor did she ask for a lesson or opinions about the sun and its dangers or sun exposure/damage. All I saw was a request for peoples' opinions on lotion. TAKE IT EASY PEOPLE! LOL!:D

OP, there really should be NO reason you should have to feel like you need to defend yourself about asking a simple question!:mad: Geesh!

As far as indoor tanning lotions I found a good one at Sally Beauty Supply for $9.99. It has soy and coQ10. Works great, I would never pay the prices the salon wants for their stuff. IF you look you can find those same salon lotions on the net and 1/2 price or less even with shipping charges.

For anyone else looking for sunscreen advice, I always figure as far as sunscreen levels go you know yourself and your skin best, but the sun in the Caribbean is not the same as it is here in the states (I am in Iowa, too).:) Personally, I use hawaiian tropic because I like the smell. Although I have been tanning for weeks now, and am really tan, I still plan on using a high spf when I get there and MAYBE backing off later in the week. My mom is notorious for thinking she will be "just fine" on the sun and ALWAYS fries, lol. This is an excerpt from a post here that I e-mailed to her, she has bought and packed her spf45 since she read this:eek::

"Just wanted to share our hard learned advice. ALWAYS wear sun screen while on a cruise to the Caribbean. A few in our group didn't in St. Thomas and fried crisp within an hour. I'm talking blisters the size of golfballs and on one person they were like baseballs. OUCH! I wore my wetsuit while snorkeling in St. Thomas, however I had a little hole on the back of it and sure enough it got cooked as well. The only time I didn't have covering was when we visited the mountain top in St. Thomas for about 5-10 minutes and I got a pretty good burn just from that. The sun is tottally different there. We live in Florida and some of us are always tan, but this sun did us in. Be careful... esp since on a 8 day cruise you have three days after St. Thomas so you don't want to spend them couped up sore with burns. =o)"

• 1 month later...

I AAM GOING TO A TANNING SALON 4 TIMES SO FAR AND I WILL PROBABLY GET IN ANOTHER 3-4 BEFORE I GO ON THE 23 OF AAPRIL. I HAVE VERY FAIR SKIN, FEW FRECKLES, I ALWAYS BURN WITHOUT LOTION BUT WHEN I GET A TAN I CAN USE AN SPF 4 AND NOT REALLY BURN ANYORE JUST GET TANNER(HERE IN NY) THE TAN I AM GETTING FROM THE SALON I CAN HARDLY NOTICE EVEN WITH THE ACCELERATOR, BUT I GUESS I WILL HAVE THE "BASE TAN". SO HERE IS MY QUESTION, I THOUGHT THAT WITH MY BASE TAN I COULD GO ON THE EASTERN CARIB. CRUISE AND ONLY USE A 4-6-8 SUNBLOCK, BUT AFTER THIS READING I AM CHANGING MY MIND. I DONT WANT TO SOUND STUPID, I HAVE ALWAYS HEARD THE SUN IS STRONGER, BUT IS IT REALLY THAT STRONG? I AM OPEN TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE, I WILL NOT YELL LIKE THAT OTHER LADY DID. ALSO, MY SON IS WHITE WITH FRECKLES, TONS OF THEM AND BURNS TO A CRISP, WHAT SHOULD I USE ON HIM? I SEE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT SUNBLOCK 30 AND MORE, I JUST WORRY I WONT GET ANY COLOR AT ALL WITH THAT, CAN YOU GET COLOR WITH THE HIGH NUMBER BLOCKS? I AM SO DAMN STUBBORN, I WANT TO USE A 4-6 OVER MY BASE TAN, BUT I WILL DEFINATELY USE YOUR ADVICE BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL SO EXPERIENCED WITH THE TROPICAL SUN AND I AM NOT. I HAVE BEEN TO FLORICA A FEW TIMES AND USES AN 8 AND GET LIKE NO COLOR AT ALL, NO BURN THATS FOR SURE, SO IS THE CARIB. SUN A LOT STRONGER THAN THE FLORIDA SUN? I AM A PALE NY GIRL AND HAVE NOT TRAVELED MUCH SO THAT S WHY I SOULD SO STUPID, BUT I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE ADVICE, THANK YOU TO ALL

Hey powers64, The only "stupid" question is the one that wasn't asked, so coming here is the informative and smart thing to do! I also live in NY and am fair haired and fair skinned but once I have a base tan,I usually just get more tan with spf of 4-6.BUT, when we went to the Bahamas and Cayman Islands, We burned after 2 days, even after tanning for 8 wks before leaving! But I think it had alot to do with all the water activities we did( snorkeling )If you are going to be in the water alot or by the water alot, use a good waterproof one and go at least 6 spf or 8 if it feels like it's very warm.I know the water reflected alot of the sunlight on us and that's what probably sped up the "cooking Process"!:D Have a great trip!!Jaxson

jaxsonbrownie, thank tou for your reply, it helps alot. i went to the tan salon today and finally got some color. i put in a complaint that i was still so white fter 4 visits and so they put me in a diff bed and just like that i am pink. i think it was pretty lousy what they did, i asked around, and from what i understand they must have been putting me in an old weak bed, just cause i was a new, white face, not fair, when my minutes are done here, i will not return. that is not a good business, to rip people off, if i had not said anything i still would be in the old bed and not getting any color. oh well, live and learn. thank you again for your advice, i will be extra cautious in and near the water.

To the OP - frankly I see nothing here for you to have gotten so worked up about. There was not a single post that could be labeled "self-righteous". If anyone overreacted - it was you. Frankly it sounds to me like you were just looking to stir a pot a little bit, but I could be wrong. :cool:

That said, enjoy your cruise, and I sincerely hope you get the tan you desire. No matter how much I planned not to, I still got slightly burned on one day we spent on the beach. :o

Now this lotion you need to also put on another lotion - this has 0 SPF - but I love it. Its Maui Babe and you can only get it in Hawaii. It has coffee in it, so it does brown you - but is not a brownzer.

Anyone ever try it? I love it. Again if you are fair, do not use it.

Judy

Archived