Pub Crawl: Ship Excursion or on your own?

Silvermist

Basically the title says it all. :D Would it be better to do the pub crawl on our own or does the tour guide have enough interesting historical information to make it worth while booking the ship's excursion? I'm one of those people who loves history and culture... AND drinking rum drinks. ;) I don't care so much about the t-shirt. I'm sure I can buy a pub crawl t-shirt at almost any bar on Duval St.

Get off the ship, stroll up Duval and stop wherever you like. Should you need any information about the bars most of the bartenders can give that to you! You can go at your own pace and drink what you like.

Oh, and if you stop at Fast Buck Freddy's and buy a bar card for $10 you can get 2-for-1 at a bunch of places. Enjoy!

http://FloridaKeysGirl.com

If I had never been to Key West I'd do the tour. You get a guide and probably some amount of historical information, and it does too things...

1. It helps to avoid a couple of places you probably wouldn't go to if you had known better, but

2. There *are* several places to sit and enjoy a drink and people watch on Duval. And sit. And watch. And sit. So the tour gets you out of one and into another. And you can always come back later.

And while every bad has a Tee that haas the name of the bar on it, IIRC you can only get a Pub Crawl Tee on the pub crawl.

Pjk

Get off the ship, stroll up Duval and stop wherever you like. Should you need any information about the bars most of the bartenders can give that to you! You can go at your own pace and drink what you like.

Oh, and if you stop at Fast Buck Freddy's and buy a bar card for $10 you can get 2-for-1 at a bunch of places. Enjoy!

http://FloridaKeysGirl.com

I was excited about the Pub Crawl when I found it on this site, however, it is not offered on the day we will be visiting. I did find the info about the bar card (see above). We plan to do our own pub crawl from the places listed on the bar cards (in addition to any other place that peeks our interest) and hit up a hot sauce store and a cigar place I found on this site. So, basically, our excursion in Key West involves walking from bar to bar, drinking, and wandering into any shop/bar/restaurant that looks interesting.... :) In the past, we have met the best people and found some awesome places that way. LOL!

I was excited about the Pub Crawl when I found it on this site, however, it is not offered on the day we will be visiting. I did find the info about the bar card (see above). We plan to do our own pub crawl from the places listed on the bar cards (in addition to any other place that peeks our interest) and hit up a hot sauce store and a cigar place I found on this site. So, basically, our excursion in Key West involves walking from bar to bar, drinking, and wandering into any shop/bar/restaurant that looks interesting.... :) In the past, we have met the best people and found some awesome places that way. LOL!

This sounds exactly like what we would like to do!!

omgrl79,

Peppers, the hot sauce store is great!!! They have a tasting bar where you can sample the sauces. You can even bring some beer with you to ease the pain! :) Enjoy, and report back!

Yes, that was the place I found on this site. We love hot sauce and my husband loves to try anything made from habanero. We will for sure be hitting up Peppers with a drink in hand! We plan to buy a few bottles to bring home.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived