White Water Rafting?

kendy

We are on the Radience 7/2 from Vancouver. Arriving on 6/30. After the cruise we plan to spend a week driving to San Francisco beforie flying home. Does anyone know of any white water rafting for my teenagers in Wash or Oregon. I hate to spend my only day in Vancouver at Whistler on the river and I don't want to do it in Juneau. Any other ideas would be wonderful, like wineries, and costal must sees on the way.

Thanks

Kendy, Your trip sounds like fun. I live in Sonoma County, about 80 miles north of San Francisco. You will be going through some beautiful country. I don't know Oregon, but the Smith River is on the California, Oregon border. It is off Hwy 99 and the State Park is called Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. This is where the real giant Redwoods are. It is a beautiful area and the State Parks have white water rafting. This is not a wild class 4 river, but it is very beautiful. The water is so clear. There are bolders in this river bigger than my living room that you will float over. Lots of salmon and otters on the river. This river has some areas of rapids which will be fun, it's not all flat water. Hwy 99 is only about 7 miles off Hwy 101, so it's not far out of the way. Catch it in Cresent City.

We have many beautiful wineries in the area. Some of my favorite are Parducci, Pedrocelli, Geyser Peak, Clois du bois, Korbel and Russian River Winery. There are hundreds more to choose from.

If you are planing on going down Hwy 5, There is good river rafting off the American river.

The Russian river has canoe trips in the Forestville and Guerneville area. These are scenic floats, with just enough water to run you into a tree. Lots of fun. The Eel river doesn't have any commercial rafting outfits, but people do raft it on their own. It gets shallow at times, but the water is very clear and it's a nice trip. If you are interested in the beach. The Mendocino coast is beautiful. Mac Kerriger State Park has a nice area. Free day use. They have the tide pools, close to 20 miles of sandy beach. Board walk and paved trails along the beach. The sea lions breed here in March. This is the area where the Great White killed the diver last year. Only good swimmers, venture into the ocean here. Lot's of diving and fishing in the area. Good luck planning your trip. Carla

We have been to Oregon many times, and have done the rafting trips on the Rogue River. This web site might help you.

http://www.rogueklamath.com/

I do know that the trips we did on the river were great. I can't answer about any other areas.

Also since you are driving down you might want to stop in Lincoln City, Oregon and also Newport, Oregon, which is where they filmed "One Flu over the Coukoos Nest" (Sp??) The towns are right on the coast, beautiful area!!

I have done the drive myself from Portland down to San Fran. We stayed and did the coast highway all of the way down. You will love it!!

Archived