Does NLC charge for port play?

dnj1

I understand that the kid crew camp is no charge, but wondering about the "port play". If we stay on the ship while in port and DD wants to go to camp (port play) is that a charge? So...until departure there is a fee for that day.

I understand that the kid crew camp is no charge, but wondering about the "port play". If we stay on the ship while in port and DD wants to go to camp (port play) is that a charge? So...until departure there is a fee for that day.

From NCL.com http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-family-fun/kids-crew-and-teen-crew#tab6

Is there anything offered for children when the ship is docked in port?

Yes, NCL offers Port Play, a group-sitting, fee-based service for children ages 2-12 years old. Port Play is run by the Youth Staff in the Kid’s Crew Facility.

Hours of Operation

Port Day: Arrival into Port – Departure from Port Overnight In Port: Arrival in Port – 8 pm

Fees

$6.00 per child/per hour

$4.00 per sibling/per hour

The Port Play fee is charged to your on-board account. Parents are encouraged to sign up in advance. Fifteen minute transition time is offered before charges apply from Port Play to Kids Crew.

Yes. I expected the port charge, but I was surprised when I arrived 5 minutes after the hour and was charged for the entire next hour. I don't expect anything for free, but I wasn't thrilled with the extra cost for 5 minutes. I imagine that has to do with the staff at the time, so your mileage may vary, but it's something to be aware of. We loved the NCL kid program in all other respects.

Best,

Mia

I guess Im spoiled by carnival. They dont charge. So hearing that was kinda different for me. When I inquired to NCL agent, he told me that there was only a charge if you left the ship and left your child on-board. I clearly stated to him that was not what I understood there website to say and he swore to me it was. We both had their website pulled up and he read the exact same as I and kept saying, "but they only charge if the parent leaves the ship." I felt like he was lying and trying to pull something over me. Granted I was paying thousands of dollars for the cruise and a few bucks at camp was not going to hurt. But I cancelled right then, because I felt he was not being honest and just did not want me to cancell. Maybe I''ll calm down later and rebook. venting over...thanks for listening. This would have been our first NCL cruise.

I guess Im spoiled by carnival. They dont charge. So hearing that was kinda different for me. When I inquired to NCL agent, he told me that there was only a charge if you left the ship and left your child on-board. I clearly stated to him that was not what I understood there website to say and he swore to me it was. We both had their website pulled up and he read the exact same as I and kept saying, "but they only charge if the parent leaves the ship." I felt like he was lying and trying to pull something over me. Granted I was paying thousands of dollars for the cruise and a few bucks at camp was not going to hurt. But I cancelled right then, because I felt he was not being honest and just did not want me to cancell. Maybe I''ll calm down later and rebook. venting over...thanks for listening. This would have been our first NCL cruise.

My best guess would be that he absolutely was not being dishonest - he just didn't know. I think we've all been given wrong information by reps from every cruise line - it's a rampant problem, and not just having to do with kid facilities on board. Most, if not all, the reps we speak to have never actually been on a cruise and really seem to have less information on hand than we can find here. If you had hung up, re-dialed and asked someone else, you probably would have been given completely different information - not necessarily correct either.

The "only charge if you go off the ship" wouldn't work - people would just say they're not leaving the ship.

Have a great trip, whichever you choose!

Best,

Mia

My best guess would be that he absolutely was not being dishonest - he just didn't know. I think we've all been given wrong information by reps from every cruise line - it's a rampant problem' date=' and not just having to do with kid facilities on board. Most, if not all, the reps we speak to have never actually been on a cruise and really seem to have less information on hand than we can find here. If you had hung up, re-dialed and asked someone else, you probably would have been given completely different information - not necessarily correct either.

The "only charge if you go off the ship" wouldn't work - people would just say they're not leaving the ship.

Have a great trip, whichever you choose!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

yeh, you might be right. I do hear a lot of talk about TA not being too imformative. Thanks.

Archived