No Skype. What about Microsoft Live Meeting?

Cruise ships use software on their router to block the functions the programs need. Same thing parents can buy at home for thier kids to control their internet usage.

Similiar but not close at all. Software is based on a block list similiar to an email servers RBL (relay-block-list) - A defined set of blocked sites, protocols, etc.

Royal Caribbean has Deep Packet Inspection / Filtering via McAfee onboard, so even if one tries to route the traffic over an allowed port (80, 443, one that normal web traffic would use) it's dropped.

I acutally just replied to this after testing onboard September 2010.

To get any worth out of the internet connection, use an encrypted VPN as a connection bridge.

RCI Relies on McAfee Network Security Platform to Safeguard Network Traffic

Similiar but not close at all. Software is based on a block list similiar to an email servers RBL (relay-block-list) - A defined set of blocked sites, protocols, etc.

Royal Caribbean has Deep Packet Inspection / Filtering via McAfee onboard, so even if one tries to route the traffic over an allowed port (80, 443, one that normal web traffic would use) it's dropped.

I acutally just replied to this after testing onboard September 2010.

To get any worth out of the internet connection, use an encrypted VPN as a connection bridge.

RCI Relies on McAfee Network Security Platform to Safeguard Network Traffic

My laptop has encrypted VPN. I'll try it when I'm onboard. Yes, i'll be working when on vacation :-(

My experience with onboard internet was pretty poor. Latency is insane, and bandwidth isn't there either.

For simple web surfing I'm happy just to be able to do it in the middle of nowhere, but even if you manage to setup a VPN/proxy/tunnel/etc, I can't imagine call quality would be usable...

Can someone who's done it tell me otherwise? I would be interested to know just how well it works...

Archived