U.S. to Issue Terrorism Alert for Travel to Europe

Well this can't be good when you are moving half the fleet across the pond for summer 2011.

The State Department plans to issue an alert on Sunday urging Americans traveling to Europe to be vigilant about possible terrorist attacks, an American official said Saturday......

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/world/europe/03security.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Hopefully, people read the entire article and saw the following: "A travel alert would merely urge extra caution during a specific time and would not discourage Americans from visiting Europe. The official, who did not want to be identified speaking about internal government deliberations, said a stronger “travel warning” that might advise Americans not to visit Europe was not under consideration."

I realize that such a disclaimer doesn't support your previously stated position that RCI and other lines are foolish to deploy so many ships outside the US, but there is a big difference between urging extra caution and advising people not to visit Europe. Similar alerts could be issued for travelers contemplating visits to many major US cities.

Dear friends:

There is a difference between "DO NOT TRAVEL" and "TAKE EXTRA CAUTION".

Here in Europe, we've had an alert in place for travel to the United States ever since September 11, 2001.

And as for you folks who are afraid to come here to Europe to take a cruise because of an alert, are you also equally afraid to take a cruise out of New York City? After all, one thing is an alert, and another is something that truly happened ......

Just be cautious wherever you travel, but do keep travelling!

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hopefully, people read the entire article and saw the following: "A travel alert would merely urge extra caution during a specific time and would not discourage Americans from visiting Europe. The official, who did not want to be identified speaking about internal government deliberations, said a stronger “travel warning” that might advise Americans not to visit Europe was not under consideration."

I realize that such a disclaimer doesn't support your previously stated position that RCI and other lines are foolish to deploy so many ships outside the US, but there is a big difference between urging extra caution and advising people not to visit Europe. Similar alerts could be issued for travelers contemplating visits to many major US cities.

Is there:confused:Unfortunately issuing an alert is about as good as telling people not to travel. While they may not be telling people to cancel travel plans the perception alone will sway many.

"American and UK officials are understood to have been in contact over the possibility of a broad alert being issued as early as today that would have significant implications for tourism across Europe. High-profile tourist sites and transport hubs are expected to be highlighted as potential targets"........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/03/americans-europe-terror-alert-warning

Dear friends:

On any given cruise in Europe, if you ever listen to the statistics they announce as to who's on board -- most are generally Europeans. Gone are the days where cruises, even in Europe, were for mostly North Americans and a handful of Europeans.

The idea of moving ships to Europe is to continue developing Europe's cruise market because the Caribbean is considered to be saturated, and Mexico unprofitable.

And cruiselines such as Costa and MSC have proven over the years that European cruising can be successful even in the winter, and not only in the summer season.

In any case, do continue to travel, and don't let news items like this (together with the fear of pickpockets) prevent you from enjoying all that travel has to offer.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

There is a difference between "DO NOT TRAVEL" and "TAKE EXTRA CAUTION".

Here in Europe, we've had an alert in place for travel to the United States ever since September 11, 2001.

I agree with this, there is a world of difference and take extra caution should apply to everything to do with travelling, more US tourists are knocked down by cars in London on an annual basis then would ever be hurt in a terrorist attack there - simply because they forget to look right!!

It would also help if they clarified where in Europe, not very helpful to generalise a continent of over 50 countries and it may be a surprise to know that travel advisorys to the US do also get issued by our goverments from time to time too.

Happy travelling :)

This is the second thread the OP has started on exactly the same subject.

Keep spreading the panic! Why not start a third? Finally more good deals on European cruise ships for Europeans!

Really:rolleyes:....please post the other thread I started:confused:

Regardless of any official alerts, I still consider the drive to the airport the most dangerous part of any trip.

So true!

Spongerob, I like your signature! I mastered driving standard shift when living in Rome some 30 years ago. As the Italians said then 'Any traffic sign or light is just a suggestion!' I guess it applies to the lane painting, too!

Is there:confused:Unfortunately issuing an alert is about as good as telling people not to travel. While they may not be telling people to cancel travel plans the perception alone will sway many.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/03/americans-europe-terror-alert-warning

And that would be unfortunate. Posts such as yours which give a distorted version of what is being advised will have that effect as well for those who don't make the effort to fully understand the difference between the alert and an advisory not to travel. Is that actually your intent, to cause people to cancel travel plans. If so, perhaps you can explain your reasoning. If not, perhaps you can explain your real intent.:rolleyes:

Since a very high percentage of accidents occur close to home, perhaps an alert should be issued to people advising them to stay home, but then, of course, there are the statistics about how many injuries occur at home.

"American and UK officials are understood to have been in contact over the possibility of a broad alert being issued as early as today that would have significant implications for tourism across Europe. High-profile tourist sites and transport hubs are expected to be highlighted as potential targets"........

Wow I am surprised to hear this from a TA, are you advising your clients not to travel? The world is a dangerous place these days no matter where we are. My husband was a block away from the World trade center on 9.11 so I am very aware and we lost many people in our neighborhood. The minute we change our plans in a knee jerk reaction they have won.

These alerts are just that alerts for people to stay vigilante. Keep an eye and ear open to anything suspicious that under other circumstances we might not even notice.

Nothing wrong with posting warnings for travelers.

Far too many people are oblivious when they travel. I think people do need to be extra vigilant in these volatile times.

I remember being on a cruise just after 9-11 and a woman from France was nearly giddy that America had been attacked and pointed out that Americans would find out what it was like to be a target around the world.:eek:

Wonder how she is feeling now that Europe is on the radar.:(

Already happened, the Achille Louro (sp)

You're right of course - and yes, it will probably happen again. However they seem more inclined to threatened these days than do - they've twice in the last two weeks threatened the Eiffel Tower.

I've been to Europe. I've seen those how well protected the trains stations are etc. I've also been in Victoria Station in London when there was a bomb threat.

None of this will stop us from going to Europe. If you allow that to happen - they win.

I don't see anything wrong with posting this type information. I don't think that Steve was trying to start a panic by any means. This is a travel board and this is a board to post information. It's up to each individual on how they react to this type information. As others have stated, this would not stop me from taking a trip to Europe.

Nothing wrong with posting warnings for travelers.

Far too many people are oblivious when they travel. I think people do need to be extra vigilant in these volatile times.

I remember being on a cruise just after 9-11 and a woman from France was nearly giddy that America had been attacked and pointed out that Americans would find out what it was like to be a target around the world.:eek:

Wonder how she is feeling now that Europe is on the radar.:(

And just when was Europe off the radar?:rolleyes: There have been many more terrorist attacks in Europe over the past decades than in the US, so it does us little good to gloat over one person's inappropriate response to 9-11.

And while her demeanor may have been reprehensible, her message that we, Americans, were previously ignorant of the very real dangers that are out there, was pretty accurate.

There is nothing wrong with warning travelers of potential problems in Europe or any other part of the world (NYC perhaps?) except when the warning is used to further a person's personal agenda of opposition to the deployment of ships in locations other than in the US or when only a portion of the article is highlighted that distorts the actual message contained in the alert. Those oblivious travelers you mention will be only more oblivious if they read only that portion of the report and fail to absorb the entire message.

And that would be unfortunate. Posts such as yours which give a distorted version of what is being advised will have that effect as well for those who don't make the effort to fully understand the difference between the alert and an advisory not to travel. Is that actually your intent, to cause people to cancel travel plans. If so, perhaps you can explain your reasoning. If not, perhaps you can explain your real intent.:rolleyes:

Since a very high percentage of accidents occur close to home, perhaps an alert should be issued to people advising them to stay home, but then, of course, there are the statistics about how many injuries occur at home.

Wow I am surprised to hear this from a TA, are you advising your clients not to travel? The world is a dangerous place these days no matter where we are. My husband was a block away from the World trade center on 9.11 so I am very aware and we lost many people in our neighborhood. The minute we change our plans in a knee jerk reaction they have won.

These alerts are just that alerts for people to stay vigilante. Keep an eye and ear open to anything suspicious that under other circumstances we might not even notice.

Hey....don't shoot the messenger here:). I didn't write the articles or issue the alert....which as I am sure you know by now was actually issued. Whether I post it here or not it's not like anyone isn't going to know about it....I mean it's all over the internet and tops every news broadcast out there. Perception...it's all about perception...the alert alone will most likely cause damage to the travel industry to Europe...like it or not...me or you don't have to agree with it...but when the Gov makes a broad announcement for Americans in Europe to take caution....well the damage is already done....like it or not.

Sorry, you are just active today on three threads on the same topic. My mistake.

No problem:)

Archived