Taking wine onboard - a few questions! :)

TurnLeftKasey

Ok, I've only sailed twice and that was on RCCL, so I am a newbie to CCL.

I just discovered you can take 1 bottle of wine onboard (in carry on, 750 ml pp), my questions are as follows:

1) Is there an ice bucket in your room filled w/ ice?

2) Is the corkage fee just a one time fee, or is it per bottle, per person, per night? etc... We are only planning on taking two bottles total.

3) If you open it yourself in your stateroom and take it bottle w/ you to the MDR, do you still get charged a corkage fee?

4) If you would like, will they hold the bottle for you in the MDR and bring it to you the next night?

Also, I honestly do not think two bottles is going to 'enough' for the 5 nights, do they have bottles on the MDR menu that you could purchase? or is all the wine onboard by the glass only?

Thank you everyone! Just stepped off RCCL Majesty two days ago and I am so excited to try CCL next!

Ok, I've only sailed twice and that was on RCCL, so I am a newbie to CCL.

I just discovered you can take 1 bottle of wine onboard (in carry on, 750 ml pp), my questions are as follows:

1) Is there an ice bucket in your room filled w/ ice?

No, but you can take a beer bucket and have it filled and kept in your cabin.

2) Is the corkage fee just a one time fee, or is it per bottle, per person, per night? etc... We are only planning on taking two bottles total.

Per bottle but only if you take it to the Dining Room. No fee if you drink it elsewhere.

3) If you open it yourself in your stateroom and take it bottle w/ you to the MDR, do you still get charged a corkage fee?

If you take a GLASS, no. If you take a BOTTLE, yes. Or maybe - lots of times you don't get charged. Lots less strict than Royal Carribean.

4) If you would like, will they hold the bottle for you in the MDR and bring it to you the next night?

Absolutely!

Also, I honestly do not think two bottles is going to 'enough' for the 5 nights, do they have bottles on the MDR menu that you could purchase? or is all the wine onboard by the glass only? You can purchase by the bottle or purchase a wine package (similar to RCCL)

Thank you everyone! Just stepped off RCCL Majesty two days ago and I am so excited to try CCL next!

See answers in red above.

You will have an ice bucket in your room. Our steward made sure we had a cork screw and wine glasses as well. If you drink the wine in your room, you do not have a corkage fee, only if you bring it to dinner. Even then, there is a chance you may not be charged. There is a pretty nice wine list for dinner with wines by the bottle or glass, and you can buy wine packages as well. I've never bought a package, but considering the amount of wine we drink, I am going to check it out. And yes, if you don't drink the entire bottle, they will hold it for you.

1) There is an ice bucket but it is really small.

2) Per bottle but personally never been charged.

3) The term corkage has nothing to do with opening the bottle, so you could.

4) Yes.

5) Carnival has a pretty extensive wine list. Packages are available or you can pre-order from Bon Voyage.

Here's a link I copied from someone else. I know they also have packages.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/wine/index.htm

We were on the Carnival Spirit a month ago and the wine list was the same as in the link Nolalady posted. There were three wine packages offered, each offering five bottles of wine.. We bought the most expensive package which totaled $184.00. I do not have a list of the wines, but I know it included:

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

Jekel Pinot Noir

I think there was also a Kendall Jackson Reserve Merlot along with about five more wines.

We usually buy the wine package, and the selection is very nice. The wines are very reasonable when you buy a package. Of course it's more than you'd pay at a liquor store, but a LOT less than at a land-based restaurant.

If you are on the ship that has a steakhouse and you really like wine, use the wine steward. We used her twice on our last cruise (we go to the steakhouse at least twice a cruise) and she made excellent suggestions. The wines were pricey, but they complimented the food we had ordered perfectly.

Best,

Kathryn

Archived