Galveston Hotels and Cabs

Troglodyte

We will be driving in from the Texas panhandle on Sat. and are looking for a place to stay before jumping aboard the Rhapsody. It is going to be a 10-12 hour drive the day after we kick the students out of our classroom doors. We won't be doing any sightseeing and don't care a lot about 5 star hotels (you may call us cheap if you wish), just something clean, a bed, and a place to leave the car. We've checked the Galveston.com site and are looking for some recommendations. Every place that has complimentary parking AND transportation is requiring a 2 night booking (and yes I have tried the home website, no good). Since it is Memorial Day weekend, we're sure will have to find something off the beaten path or pay the premium.

If we can find a cheaper hotel further away from the terminal, how much should we expect to pay in cab fare and how long does it take to get picked up?

Trog

• 1 month later...

We are a family of 5 for Labor day weekend, before cruise, free parking and light breakfast, coffee, cappicino, hot chocolate....70.00 at Bestwestern Beachfront in galveston.....booked sometime back though...also, when I CALLED galveston.com I got a much cheaper rate than when booking online....there is a number there under "specials" for cruise passengers....good luck!;)

Just a suggestion --- I live in Houston and was going on Rhapsody of the Seas last year. I left my car at the Galveston Toyota dealer for some routine maintenance and got a free ride to and from the cruise terminal, plus free parking for my car for the week. I also had a coupon for 10% off the service! You can't beat it.

Just a thought ---

• 2 weeks later...

The Toyota idea is a new one but a good one. Bob Pagan dealerships also handles a number of other makes of cars, and is right off IH 45. General Motors, Fords, Hondas, Chryser products, He has a fairly large complex.

http://www.bobpagan.com/

There is a new Howard Johnson that just opened on Harbor Side right off IH 45 you might try. The La Quinta is on Seawall is just across from the beach, and fairly well maintained, the Best Western is on Seawall as well.

Having lived in Borger at one time, I don't envy you the drive.

Archived