first trip to curacao/ideas

origionaljerseygirl

One thing that we always enjoy experiencing when visiting a port is to "live like the locals" for one day to the extend that we can ;) - take local buses, eat local foods, etc.

So, Nigkar - you said you took the bus to Kontiki. Do you mind sharing how to find the bus from the pier?

Originally we were thinknig about going on a tour with Curacao Actief. However, after reading some of the threads here, we think we can easily pack our day with a half-day walk around town, and half day on one of the beaches. Right?

If we plan to walk around Willemsted for a few hours am I correct that we should cross the footbridge from the pier in Otrabanda to the section called Punda?

Other than the floating market any other key sites to see/photograph?

I located the synagogue in Punda on Hanchi Shoa but we're in port on a Saturday and don't want to go to services. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Karen

If we plan to walk around Willemsted for a few hours am I correct that we should cross the footbridge from the pier in Otrabanda to the section called Punda?

Other than the floating market any other key sites to see/photograph?

I located the synagogue in Punda on Hanchi Shoa but we're in port on a Saturday and don't want to go to services. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Karen

The foot bridge links you from Otrabanda to Punda in the channel. there is a lot of shopping, goverment buildings, churches and such in Punda, where they also have restaurants and bars. By the floating bridge, they also have touristy stuff made by the locals just around the corner. They have bells at one spot in the market that ring on the hour. I have attached 2 pictures I took from Otrabanda towards Punda. the 1st picture over looks the bridge and the Plaza Hotel. . the 2nd picture is to show where the floating market and stuff are.......Each are where the small bay of water separates again. Directions in writing are: cross the bridge, go left along the waterway until you get to the next bay of water and turn right. You will be there. Lots to see over there if you want to catch up with some local folks. I ate lunch over the a lot, just for a different view sometimes and the only place I could get spaghetti on the island.

Hotel_View4.jpg.683a3d74826b6f645296088c92276a12.jpg

Hotel_view3.jpg.c3dd58297da386bdee0205f05c8c6852.jpg

The foot bridge links you from Otrabanda to Punda in the channel. there is a lot of shopping, goverment buildings, churches and such in Punda, where they also have restaurants and bars. By the floating bridge, they also have touristy stuff made by the locals just around the corner. They have bells at one spot in the market that ring on the hour. I have attached 2 pictures I took from Otrabanda towards Punda. the 1st picture over looks the bridge and the Plaza Hotel. . the 2nd picture is to show where the floating market and stuff are.......Each are where the small bay of water separates again. Directions in writing are: cross the bridge, go left along the waterway until you get to the next bay of water and turn right. You will be there. Lots to see over there if you want to catch up with some local folks. I ate lunch over the a lot, just for a different view sometimes and the only place I could get spaghetti on the island.

Thanks for the help:):):)

Archived