Rock Wall Diagrams for Each Ship?

Climbsrocks,

A Dick's just opened close to my home...I will have to check it out.

I'm actually in New Hampshire...about 45 - 50 mins north of Boston....

I thought that I saw in one of the posts that a lot of the climbing is done with your legs...that's why I asked about squats.

Wow...I'm don't think I could put my foot ANYWHERE NEAR my hand...even when I was a kid!!! It hurts just thinking about it! :D

Now I understand why flexability is important.

Thanks again for the tips.

Larry

Larry,

Realistically, you'd seldom be doing more than picking up your foot to about waist height (which is hard enough!), so the higher you can lift your foot, the better. But don't let the lack of conditioning worry you; you'll have fun at whatever level you climb. I'm not sure a new Dick's would have a rock wall, I think the only one's that have the walls are the old Galyans stores that Dick's bought, but I could be wrong about that as Dick's had no store around here before they bought Galyans.

Tim

Hans,

No gloves needed. Closest thing I can think of would be the athletic tape used to tape the fingers and knuckles when you do outdoor rock climbing (as opposed to climbing "plastic" as indoor walls and their resin-based holds are called). Very often, when climbing real rock, you're forced to jam fingers and hands into cracks in order to ascend and that eats up finger tips, and knuckles pretty fast if they're not taped. If you wore gloves, you'd give up too much friction I guess. They do make belaying/rappelling gloves, however, that can protect your hands from the heat created in the belay device as the rope slides through it.

Tim

Climbsrocks

Thanks again for the info Tim. I'll keep watching this thread.....

I'll let you know how it turns out...still about 4 months away though.

I am going to see what's around here...see if I can get some climbing in before we sail. Just seems like such a great way to mediatate...you know, total consentration on what you are doing clears the head...

Larry

Just wanted to say that I rock-climbed for the very first time on the Voyager of the Seas when I was 45 years old. It was a blast! My husband climbed too and of course got farther than I did. Folks our age in the group we were with couldn't believe we did it. As it has been said, they do have easy routes, so even if you think you're old and not in shape, give it a try. You'll love it!

Hopegrad,

I began climbing at age 49 and loved it. Not sure why I didn't try it sooner, but I wasted a lot of time sitting on my caboose I guess! Actually, I did some when I was in the boy scouts, but it bore no resemblance to the climbing done today. The gear has changed dramatically for the better, and people routinely climb routes today that were considered unclimbable in the 50's. I started out climbing 5.8 routes with practice and rests, but now climb 3 grades of difficulty harder (5.11) with the same effort. It's quite the endorphin rush when you top out on a route that has really tested your mettle!

Tim

Archived