Snorkeling in Roatan or Belize

jolynn84

We are going on Carnival Valor and wondering if the snorkeling in Belize or Roatan is better? I know that there is a large reef in Belize so thinking that would be better? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

I can't speak for Roatan per say because I was there in 2003 before the onslaught of cruise ships. I did snorkel in Belize this year and it was excellent. Bear in mind I'm a Marine Biologist so I'm not just going by the amount of fish I saw or what looks like coral. I'm almost certain Roatan has amazing snorkeling as well but will be able to report back in a few weeks. You're best bet for snorkeling in Belize is via an excursion company since the reef is barrier and not right off the beach. Roatan, however, has some great snorkeling (supposedly) right off the beach.

I hope this helps...

We are going on Carnival Valor and wondering if the snorkeling in Belize or Roatan is better? I know that there is a large reef in Belize so thinking that would be better? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Both have excellent snorkling!!! Albeit you do not have the time off a cruise ship to get to the best areas. We did a snorkling tour to Cauker Caye, the water taxi leaves right by the tenders at the port. Snorkling was very good lots of fish and coral....well organized and very good guides. The tour also included lunch on the island and water taxi back to the port. We were in Roatan last month and the snorkling was some of the best we ever experienced. We went with an organized CC'er group to Foster's West Beach. One of our group members negotiated a $10/person snorkling trip once we arrived. This snorkling area is about half way between West Beach and West End (the beach town). Have never seen the variety nor volume of fish before water was 4-15ft deep... lots of coral and sea fans. There was also a fantastic canyon about 20 feet wide and 20-40ft deep that we swan through.

In my opinion why not snorkle in both places:D

Archived