Legend Review-10/2010-thru the eyes of a 1st time cruiser

BarleyJack

Had to start over....sorry. I saved my title before the rest, and then exceeded the time limit for an edit. Ugh.

Lets try this again LOL

October 6th, Cozumel

Mexico is great, really. Sure people say it isn't entirely safe, but then again neither are parts of our country. Just be smart.

I've been to Mexico before, I went with some friends to Cancun 15+ years ago, but honestly I remember very little about it LOL. We partied a lot in Cancun. I remember cutting my foot on a beach rock, lots of tequila, and have a vague memory of going down a waterslide fully clothed at Senor Frogs.

Cozumel is a different animal, and now (glad to say), so am I. I loved Cozumel.

We started, of course, at Puerta Maya. As far as ports went during this cruise, this one I liked the most. It was well laid out, had variety, and was just...well, pretty.

DSC00418.jpg

Initially for Cozumel we had planned the Playa Mia beach break, as it included alcohol LOL. Well, we don't drink anymore so this was not an difficult excursion to give up. We decided to wing it. We learned rather quickly that one can not "wing it" in Cozumel LOL.

Wel left the port and started walking north, and were literally bombarded with offers for tours, horse rides, scooters, blah blah. We kept walking. After a bit we came across a guy named Victor, who offered us a map-I knew immediately this would be another sell but he seemed really nice, so we listed. At the end of the conversatio we had purchased a tour of the island-2 people-4 hours-private driver=for 60 bucks. Not a bad deal, so we took it and away we went.

Our cabbie was named Julio, he was a good guy. Went anywhere we asked, stayed for as long as we wanted, pointed out highlights along the way. His English wasn't great, but I speak some Spanish so between the two of us we figured it out LOL.

Our first real stop was at Paradise Beach. It was nice, really. There was a large bar area, parrots, floats and a nice pier. Lots of shaded loungers, and very few people. We would consider this as a beach excursion should we ever make it back there.

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

Next: El Cedral

October 6th, Cozumel, continued.......

Our next stop was a place called El Cedral. They had a church, a small Mayan Ruin, and of course shops. I'll have to do some research on the historal significance of the place, but it was nice! We bought a piece of pottery there, marked at 45, but haggled down to 25, thought I did well!

Here's the sign for the place:

DSC00435.jpg

The church:

DSC00433.jpg

The ruins:

DSC00432.jpg

And a really neat statue at the entrance:

DSC00424.jpg

Next stop was Faro Celerain eco park

Hey BarleyJack...did you actually get your future cruise certificate? We also bought one and they said they would deliver it to the cabin, but never got...could be we bought it Saturday but just wondering..we certainly did have the nice weather for this cruise...first time in Belize for us that it didn't rain;)

I'm not Barleyjack, but we bought one on Saturday morning and when we didn't have it by almost 10 that night we went down to talk to the guy. He assured us we'd have it in our mailbox by 4:00 a.m. When I got up at 6:00 it wasn't there. I ran up for coffee and it was there when I got back to the room.

Edited to add: Oops - wrong cruise - we just got back today.

Cozumel continued, yet again...

We did a lot in Cozumel, so won't bore you will all the details. Drove a lot. Bought Vanilla. Drove some more. Took pictures and videos. By the time mid afternoon rolled around, we were ready to head back to the Legend. Did see some crocs, more Mayan ruins, another beach, a lighthouse and downtown Coz, where the locals live. Did you know they ride 3-4-sometimes 5 people on mopeds/cycles? Holy wow, I could barely handle my kid brother on my handlebars when I was a kid!

Here's some pics (apprently limied to six, sorry for the mult posts):

Mayan Ruin near Faro Celarain, this was an early weather warning system; the top had conch shells built into it, and when the weather was rough they would blow like horns warning the locals:

DSC00438.jpg

The crocodile zone in the brackish waters of the eco park:

DSC00441.jpg

A croc:

DSC00442.jpg

The lighthouse:

DSC00449.jpg

Our ride waiting for us:

DSC00459.jpg

And good night:

DSC00461.jpg

I'm not Barleyjack, but we bought one on Saturday morning and when we didn't have it by almost 10 that night we went down to talk to the guy. He assured us we'd have it in our mailbox by 4:00 a.m. When I got up at 6:00 it wasn't there. I ran up for coffee and it was there when I got back to the room.

Edited to add: Oops - wrong cruise - we just got back today.

Thanks Katoo..I thought it might show up by snail mail..nothing yet so I plan on calling guest services and see what they have to say...The charge is on my credit card statement so I can challenge that if necessary...

Archived