pre cruise activities

cmood

Hi all,

We will arrive in Fort Lauderdale noon time on Dec.16. There will be 48 hours before onboard the ship. Can't decide where shall we take a visit? We are family of 5 (3 kids aged 15,11 and 5). Never been to Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Will time be too tight to go to Miami? If we rent a car at FLL, head to Miami for 2 days, on date of ship boarding drive back to FLL and then boarding, will we get enough time ? How's the morning time traffic? Is there anything Must See - Do in Fort Lauderdale?

Really appreicate any thoughts and suggestions

I would not stay in Miaim with children. It's more expensive. Stay in FLL, visit Miami. Traffic on a weekday morning, in any direction is awful. Even off hours, driving in Miami is challenging. The roads are confusing, signage is terrible and the drivers...worst in the world.

Some things to do in Ft. Lauderdale.

1. Museum of Discovery and Science is a neat place to take kids.

2. Ft. Lauderdale Beach, go to LaSpada for sandwiches and take them to the beach for a day playing in the ocean.

3. Sawgrass Mills Mall, a giant outlet mall with tons of restaurants. They have movies, so those that want can see a movie while the others shop. Ghirardelli has a chocolate/ice cream shop for a treat.

4. Depending on the season, take in a Florida Panthers game, out by Sawgrass.

Miami

1. Go to Lincoln Rd and walk around. A pedestrian shopping area with cafes. Also Parmalat Gelato. I'm pushing ice cream a lot here...

2. Seaquarium

3. Metro Zoo

4. Bill Baggs State Park-http://www.floridastateparks.org/capeflorida/

That's about it. I wouldn't drive myself nuts trying to do all sorts of things. Choose the stuff you think your family would enjoy and just do that. Vacation is about relaxing, not running ragged trying to fill the hours in the day.

Archived