some things i do now

origionaljerseygirl

One item I bring instead of a iron is a small fabric steamer. It is way lighter than a iron, takes up less room in our luggage, and works great on my wife's delicate evening dresses. They sell for about $20-$30 at Walmart.

Sorry, I'm confused, didn't the poster (cb at sea) suggest getting the larger bills broken down on the ship not in port? Can you do this at the porters desk?

Originally Posted by cb at sea viewpost.gif

Bringing wads of small bills is too bulky...bring large bills, and the ship can "break them down" as needed.

Yes, you could get change at Guest Relations if 1) you don't mind waiting in a line, and there's almost always a line, 2) you happen to be on the ship when you need those bills broken.

An envelope with $30 single bills is plenty for the two of us, and it's easier not to have to think about little chores like finding a place to get change.

Yes, you could get change at Guest Relations if 1) you don't mind waiting in a line, and there's almost always a line, 2) you happen to be on the ship when you need those bills broken.

An envelope with $30 single bills is plenty for the two of us, and it's easier not to have to think about little chores like finding a place to get change.

Makes sense :) Cheers

One item I bring instead of a iron is a small fabric steamer. It is way lighter than a iron, takes up less room in our luggage, and works great on my wife's delicate evening dresses. They sell for about $20-$30 at Walmart.

Also works well for getting the wrinkles out of my tux and suits for formal nights, as well as the ladies formal wear.

Also, try the dollar store for small bags designed to separate small items in your suitcase. I find it nice to pack socks and undergarments in a small bag that fits neatly on the closet shelf, so things don't roll out when the door is opened.

THANKS, MRS. PETE! i was wondering about at the terminal, and he had large bills, and no one to break them, for porter tips, or a soda in the machines.

it's so convenient to have singles handy, room service, porters, off the ship. you're right about venders not breaking them.

but, what ever works for you. i prefer to bring about 50.

and you are soooo right about the line at the guest relations. always long, always something holding it up.

:D

audrey

Battery operated clock is a must for me. Hubby always brings his and last month while traveling w/my sister I didn't bring one. I was constantly getting up, turning on the light and trying to read my watch in the middle of the night.

I am one that needs the multiple outlets. Our camera uses a rechargeable battery, I use a hair dryer and a straightener, charge our cell phones and sometimes my ipod or kindle. My hair alone is not fun with only one outlet.

Lastly, the over the door shoe organizer is awesome. There is adequate storage in the cabin, but I used to get so stressed out half way through the week. The cabins are small (unless a suite) and I felt like things were all over the place. It was either the organizer or some meds for my OCD personality...the organizer was cheaper ;)

I always pack the following: an envelope with $50.00 in singles, a power strip (depending on how many people are in the cabin with me), hand-held battery fans (for when it is unbearably hot!), extra batteries, travel clothes steamer, over the door shoe holder, and we like a plug-in air freshener in a tropical scent to get rid of any "smells".

• 3 weeks later...

In the same note as the over the door shoe organizer I recommend the hanging jewelry organizer. You can find then at many stores and they are great.

Mine has 18 zip compartments on each side and is approx 24 inch by 12 in with a hanger hook at top.

I use it to seperate my jewelry so I can see everything and it's not tangled up. It's small enough to fold up and tuck in a carry on.

I have a second one to seperate out all the toiletries such as aspirin, qtips, etc. You never take a full bottle of any of these so the small compartments are perfect and you again see what you need quick.

Also hit the dollar store and pick up small folding hand fans. I always take 1-2 on a trip as they come in hand and don't have to worry about batteries, also they weigh nothing.

I bring a couple of small clothes pins. When you try to hang a few suits on the drying line in the shower it tends to just collapse in the middle so i put the suits up with clothes pins. I also have very strong ones so I can also put them on a chair on the balcony for a little while to dry quicker.

Clothespins are also great to have to weigh down the shower curtain to keep it from clinging to you :eek:.

Some great ideas even for this "seasoned" cruiser. We always travel with an extension cord, husbands power chair has to charge, his Cpap needs it, the cameras need to charge & I keep my cell phone charged. Nice for curling iron, etc. I do throw in an extra empty tote bag for coming home with my many purchases.

Archived