Shopping Guarantee

myurick

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with RCI Shopping Guarantee? I was on the MOS on Jan. 17, 2005 & purchased a ring for my wife in Key West. When we returned home, we had is appraised and the actual value is about 40% less than we paid.

I called OnBoard Media, like they told me to, and all I'm getting is the run around. Looks like their guarantee is of no use.

If you have dealt with this before, I would love to hear your story. They really promote this on the ship, but I wonder how many people ever get a resolution.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with RCI Shopping Guarantee? I was on the MOS on Jan. 17, 2005 & purchased a ring for my wife in Key West. When we returned home, we had is appraised and the actual value is about 40% less than we paid.

I called OnBoard Media, like they told me to, and all I'm getting is the run around. Looks like their guarantee is of no use.

If you have dealt with this before, I would love to hear your story. They really promote this on the ship, but I wonder how many people ever get a resolution.

Thanks,

Mike

Was this bought from a RCI recommended shop ?:(

I don't recall the guarantee RCI uses, but Carnival has a price guarantee. We bought an expensive item on a ship ago. I wasn't sure the price was great and they assured us that if we found the identical item cheaper their guarantee would be honored. The catch is the purchase must be registered on the ship. Well, we found the same watch in our local jewelry store for a lot less. We got a quote from the jewelry store and sent it off to the insurance company and we received a check for the difference. Hopefully this is what will happen for you. I wish I could remember the name of the company. We were very pleasantly surprised when this happened.

I bought a bracelet off Sovereign a number of years ago from DI in St. Thomas. When I got home I had it checked. While it appraised for around what I paid, it was not in good shape and not what was state or on the appraisal. Stones were chipped, lose and set wrong. We must have sent it back to NY about 8-10 times at our expense. They promised to pay the shipping but never did. They finally got it right but it was not worth the meager savings. We did talk to RCI but there are other catches for jewelry. Any appraisal must come from someone certified but not associated with any retail outlet. One may be able to find an independent person to fit this bill in NY or similar cities, but not really anywhere else. We too go the run around from RCI and they were absolutely no help. You do know these shopping guides are paid by the stores and not the cruise line itself don't you?

We were in St. Thomas this past March off DCL and I went into one of the DI shops. A diamond I had looked at prior for about $500-7500 depending on exact quality specs was triple that price on the quote from DI. I guess I'm lucky that I've found a good jeweler that works off referrals only and only charges 5% above the wholesale price. More importantly, I can trust him.

Archived