Freedom review 9/5/10 - more info than you can stand!

Tony1865

Still reading here. We've been in a SPH on the Magic and a Cat 5 on the Wonder. AND we've booked a Boardwalk view interior for the FOS. Actually 2- connecting rooms for DH and I and then 2- 14 year olds. I was worried about stateroom size on RCCL as I felt we were cramped as 4 in a Cat 5.

What did you think of your room? Did you enjoy your view? How about noise?

Still reading here. We've been in a SPH on the Magic and a Cat 5 on the Wonder. AND we've booked a Boardwalk view interior for the FOS. Actually 2- connecting rooms for DH and I and then 2- 14 year olds. I was worried about stateroom size on RCCL as I felt we were cramped as 4 in a Cat 5.

What did you think of your room? Did you enjoy your view? How about noise?

I think that until you get to a suite level on any line, it's gonna be snug. Our first Disney cruise was in a verandah stateroom, and it spoiled us, for sure.

We have a little travel trailer, and are used to making the best of limited space. On the FOS, we had plenty of room for storage, and used a shoe hanger inside the bathroom door to take care of the stuff that so easily gets scattered about. And I think the bed on the FOS was a little more comfortable than Disney's. But you did have to squeeze around the foot of the bed - Promenade view cabins are configured a little odd. But we were still comfortable, just the two of us.

The view was good - maybe even TOO good. That first afternoon, we'd gone back to the cabin to change for dinner. Directly across the Promenade were other staterooms. Well ... there was a young couple who came in from the pool -their curtains were wide open, as were ours. And while I'd just casually glanced over in their direction, I'll be doggoned if the two of them hadn't hopped up on their bed and swimsuits started flying. Within moments it was like a Cirque de Soleil act. Teresa, aghast, covered my eyes like I was a 5-year-old, and I jumped up and closed our curtains. What folks in Promenade cabins need to understand is that while the angles are such that folks on the Promenade can't easily see into the cabin, it's impossible NOT to see into them if you're directly across from them.

I don't know if it dawned on our neighbors that they were basically putting on a public performance, but their curtains were closed most of the rest of the cruise.

Noise was a non-issue. During the parades and parties, there was a faint bass "thump," but it wasn't annoying. I think if we'd been closer to midship it might've been a little worse. Unless you were a really, really light sleeper, or just like to complain, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I will say this - with the curtains closed, that stateroom was as dark as the Infernal Regions. But again, the lighting on the Promenade was geared to the time of day. We were perfectly content with our cabin.

From this vantage point on the bridge by the guest services desk, we were directly to the left:

IMG_0464.jpg

Maybe you can get an idea of how the bed is centered in the stateroom from this:

IMG_0016.jpg

I'm planning a 60th birthday party for my best friend and I(3 days apart) we have all age groups going on our cruise with us(no kids) all women. We wanted Oasis from the first, but Sept. 2011 is basically full. So now we look at Freedom. I DO NOT WANT TO DO CARNIVAL!! So hopefully your review and great pictures will convince them this is the ship..I haven't been on RCCL since 2004, but many Carnival(I was forced:D) My memory has me remembering great food, so much better than Carnival. Hope someones agrees with me. Please help me talk my friend out of Carnival Dream. All their ships look the same, no matter how new or big. I saw pictures and knew it was a Carnival ship without checking name.

PS. I didn't get a Crown number so they have no record of me ever cruising before. Can I correct that?

One fun conversation starter I used when chatting with folks around the ship was "Have you cruised before?" or "What other lines have you cruised?"

This is a totally unscientific sampling, but I didn't tend to hear a lot of favorable comparisons between folks who'd cruised on both Carnival and RCCL. Some of our best friends have cruised Carnival out of New Orleans and loved it. Having never sailed Carnival, I'm not in a position to judge. But one comparison I heard that I loved was that Carnival "was like the frat boy in college who now works in a corporate office and wears pinpoint Oxfords, but can get loose in a hurry to this day." Carnival gets pretty high marks for food. Feelings about RCCL food are all over the map. I think it's consistently pretty good, in a couple of instances close to excellent, and in one case just so-so. But I'll eat anything ... where I work, we're either eating or planning our next lunch.

For folks I talked with who'd cruised both RCCL and Disney, there just wasn't that much of a difference in opinion, other than Disney was just "Disney." Looks like RCCL is taking dead aim at Disney with the addition of Dreamworks characters.

Can't help you with the Crown number, but I bet someone here can.

Oh, yeah ... anyone besides me appreciate the irony in the magazine selection we found in our stateroom?

IMG_0199.jpg

Birdylady,

Do you think his review will go on until April?

Nah, I know when I came back from my Alaska cruise earlier it took a few days to get around to completing it. And sadly, the real world tries to interfere with cruising. :mad:

Erika

PS. I didn't get a Crown number so they have no record of me ever cruising before. Can I correct that?

Yes, just contact C&A to register. Tell them which ship and the sailing date and they should be able to find a record of your sailing. Then you would get your credit for that. IF it was a JS or higher or more than 7 nights (I don't remember the count) you get double credit, so check that too. IF they can't find a record of your sailing, you would have to provide some 'proof' of your sailing. Perhaps pictures or something like that.

Erika

I'm planning a 60th birthday party for my best friend and I(3 days apart) we have all age groups going on our cruise with us(no kids) all women. We wanted Oasis from the first, but Sept. 2011 is basically full. So now we look at Freedom. I DO NOT WANT TO DO CARNIVAL!! So hopefully your review and great pictures will convince them this is the ship..I haven't been on RCCL since 2004, but many Carnival(I was forced:D) My memory has me remembering great food, so much better than Carnival. Hope someones agrees with me. Please help me talk my friend out of Carnival Dream. All their ships look the same, no matter how new or big. I saw pictures and knew it was a Carnival ship without checking name.

Since Tony was unable to compare with Carnival I will give you a few of my thoughts. In the last five years we have been on 2 Carnival, 1 RCI and 1 Celebrity with Freedom booked for March 6. We sailed on Mariner in 2008 I enjoyed the MDR food more on Carnival than on RCI but the buffet, especially the traffic flow was better on RCI. Service from stewards, waitstaff, etc was about the same although the customer service desk on RCI is much more efficient, never any long lines. The entertainment was better on RCI to me, especially the ice show. I would think that you would enjoy Freedom over the Dream. I have read reports that the Dream seems really crowded.

If you have your past sailing date and ship Crown and Anchor should be able to look that up for you.

Melissa, where in NW Florida do y'all live? We lived in Panama City and Marianna for years.

Hi Tony, we are on the western end, between Pensacola and Ft. Walton Beach. I love both Panama City and Marianna. :) What part of the country are you in now?

Loving your review, your sense of humor, and the additional "Disney to RCCL" tidbits. Great job, looking forward to the rest of it. (Feel free to stretch it out so we can be entertained for as long as possible! ;))

Hi Tony, we are on the western end, between Pensacola and Ft. Walton Beach. I love both Panama City and Marianna. :) What part of the country are you in now?

Loving your review, your sense of humor, and the additional "Disney to RCCL" tidbits. Great job, looking forward to the rest of it. (Feel free to stretch it out so we can be entertained for as long as possible! ;))

We actually live in metro Jackson, Mississippi, these days. I will tell you we never had aspirations to live in Mississippi, but job opportunities have a way of moving folks about sometimes. But we live on a paved road, have all our teeth, wear shoes year round. Truthfully, we live in a great part of town; our county has 4.5% unemployment and one of the best school systems anywhere. We've been here about 12 years, and except for having to deal with Katrina, it's been just fine. Steretypes die hard, I reckon. We had tablemates on a Magic cruise some years back from Illinois, and when they found out we were from MS they seemed almost afraid of us, or pitied us at best. But we became fast friends after they found out we weren't gonna give them hookworms or something.

Tony, when you said you were 12 hours away I knew you were probably fairly close by -- we are over in Ruston. Your review is a hoot -- and very welcome, since we'll be sailing FOS in December on that same itinerary. LOVE the tablemate comment!!:D I can relate: people still seem to think we've got alligators and a pirogue in the back yard.:rolleyes:

I'll be interested to hear about the ports of call... We've been to all these ports (except Coco Cay -- missed that one, somehow) but it's been a while. This will be our first trip on a Freedom class -- I'm looking forward to that Diamond Lounge!

loving your review

we are a group of 16 Australians and we are coming over to USA especially to take back-to-backs e & w on Freedom of the Seas in January 2012-

at the moment, i'm booked in an O/V on deck 9 but, i love the idea of the Promenade and am tempted to change.

thanks again- great read:)

I'm jumping out of the chronology for just a minute. We had late seating for dinner, so we saw the welcome aboard show first. But I wanted to introduce you to our tablemates before getting on with the narrative. This was formal night, which is Day 2, but I wanted you to meet these folks first:

tablemates0001.jpg

In front are Brandy and Alicia and DW Teresa. Brandy and Alica are from central Florida.

Back row are Anita, also from central FL, Traloom from Toronto (but originally from Sri Lanka), Wendy from near London, Patrica from County Cork, Ireland, Tasheem from Toronto, and moi.

I was the only guy at our table. I was swimming in a sea of estrogen. And I think we set some sort of record for family diversity ... in the mix were a mother and daughter, two sisters, a recently divorced single, a lesbian couple, and Teresa and I. We pretty much had all our bases covered. Now, on paper that shouldn't have worked. But we had a blast together. I know tablemates can be luck of the draw, and Anita had moved to our table on the 2nd night because the mix at her previous table just simply didn't work. By about the third day we were all like old pals. And it's always struck me funny as to how you see the same folks all over the ship, out of the thousands on board.

I know that some first-time cruisers are distressed at the prospect of sharing meals with relative strangers. Some folks are naturally shy ... as an INFJ (look it up), sometimes it's a challenge for me to gladhand and hobnob. My work has taught me to be more gregarious than I am by nature. But I genuinely enjoy having tablemates, although I'm sure it's been because we've always had good'uns.

Be back tomorrow.

Fantastic review of your trip on the Freedom. I am sailing on the Freedom on 10/31/2010 with my dad. This will be my 4th RCCL and my dad's 1st on this cruise line.

The other ship I sailed on RCCL is the Monarch of the Seas

Keep up the good work

Hey Great review I just love your humor! I am a DCL girl but I love me some RCCL. I prefer to stay away from Carnival. I have booked the Disney Dream for September 2011 and I am sailing on the Freedom in 44 days for the first time yahoooooooo:D

Thanks for the review! We've also done DCL, and are looking forward to Freedom next year. We're curious to hear your thoughts on how Freedom compares to the Magic.

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of a good review!

Same with us as we are going FS next April 11 to Eastern after been 4th times with Disney Cruise...

I hope that I dont regard it cos I love DCL...

Scottishwee35:p

I'm jumping out of the chronology for just a minute. We had late seating for dinner, so we saw the welcome aboard show first. But I wanted to introduce you to our tablemates before getting on with the narrative. This was formal night, which is Day 2, but I wanted you to meet these folks first:

tablemates0001.jpg

I know that some first-time cruisers are distressed at the prospect of sharing meals with relative strangers. Some folks are naturally shy ... as an INFJ (look it up), sometimes it's a challenge for me to gladhand and hobnob. My work has taught me to be more gregarious than I am by nature. But I genuinely enjoy having tablemates, although I'm sure it's been because we've always had good'uns.

Be back tomorrow.

INFJ - Learned something new everyday.

And I know what you mean about sharing meals with strangers. Personally, i think that's part of the fun. Hubby and I never want to have a 2 top for dinner. We like to get to meet other folks. Some are misses and some are super hits! Heck, a couple years ago we met a SUPER family from Scotland. They were just in town and got together with my parents (who were on the sailing too) the other day. You would think they were life long friends.

Same with us as we are going FS next April 11 to Eastern after been 4th times with Disney Cruise...

Scottishwee35:p

You'll be getting on when I'm getting off (boooo).

Erika

We actually live in metro Jackson, Mississippi, these days. I will tell you we never had aspirations to live in Mississippi, but job opportunities have a way of moving folks about sometimes. But we live on a paved road, have all our teeth, wear shoes year round. Truthfully, we live in a great part of town; our county has 4.5% unemployment and one of the best school systems anywhere. We've been here about 12 years, and except for having to deal with Katrina, it's been just fine. Steretypes die hard, I reckon. We had tablemates on a Magic cruise some years back from Illinois, and when they found out we were from MS they seemed almost afraid of us, or pitied us at best. But we became fast friends after they found out we weren't gonna give them hookworms or something.

LOL, too funny. I'd sit at a table with you, as long as you kept your fleas to yourself. :D You know they affectionately call our part of Florida "lower Alabama." In some of the neighborhoods I'm pretty sure teeth aren't required.

Katrina must have been interesting, I saw some of the footage from MS and it was just flattened. I could never understand why the news media seemed to think it was only N'awlins that got all the fun. We live on the coast and had Ivan before that, it truly gave us an appreciation for the power of nature. Only $30,000 damage and we were lucky. Friends had literally no dwelling left, or 4 ft of sewage water, etc. People's clothing high up in trees! :eek:

Looking forward to the next installment of your cruise adventure!

ETA: ENFP here :)

Archived