Upgrade Notification?

Chrylaser

Hi All,

Does NCL call to inform you about an upgrade or do they do it? I am sailing on 10/25.

I got a nice upgrade on my last cruise, Princess, and I found out about the upgrade online when I was printing my docs three days before sailing.

Any advice is appreciated!

NCL doesn't offer many upgrades. They do offer "upsells," and they will call you or your TA, if you used one, to make you an offer you shouldn't refuse. :D They try to fill empty suites by offering you a reduced price. If you take their offer, they then will try to fill your old cabin, and so on and so on. We have received a few of these offers, including one for our first NCL cruise, which made us NCL Fans Forever.

Every so often we hear of people who show up at the pier with an unexpected upgrade, such as the family with the last name of "Nice," who were completely surprised. I think they got the Garden Villa.

I agree, the upgrades are nice, and the upsells usually a good deal.

I do think though, they should be offered to past NCL passengers first. Seems the fair way to do it, but I think their thinking is if they offer them to 1st time NCL passengers, they will sail on NCL again.

I do think though, they should be offered to past NCL passengers first. Seems the fair way to do it, but I think their thinking is if they offer them to 1st time NCL passengers, they will sail on NCL again.

Yes, getting one the first cruise sure worked for us, and we've done 11 (I think) cruises on NCL now.

Just got my phone call today. This is our third NCL cruise and my first upsell call. We are sailing on the Jewel leaving 10/24. Was booked in an Balcony BC and got an upsell to a AB 2 bedroom family suite for an additional 750.00. I was excited about the balcony as we never had a balcony before - now I'm ecstatic. Not telling my family until we get to the suite-not even my husband. I want it to be a surprise!

What is upsetting to me is when people brag about their upgrades on the actual cruise. I went on a TA on the Jade 2 1/2 years ago and paid $600 for an upsell from a Mini Suite to a suite. I met 2 women, who had never sailed on NCL before and they were upgraded from an inside cabin to a 2 bedroom family courtyard suite, without paying a dime more.

It's bad enough because I sail solo and have to pay double.

We had an upsell, from BA to AB, on our first NCL cruise. We were sailing with others though and felt (kind of) guilty for taking the upsell. It sure did spoil us! Makes sense that returning cutomers would get the call first. I was wondering - how do they decide whom to offer the upsell?

Diane

We were offered and took an upsell yesterday from an AE to an AA for a 15 day cruise. It was pricey, but we took it...just seems like a fun opportunity....but I too would be fried if I heard someone was just 'given' one for the same cruise. I looked and there are almost no other suites available on the cruise so I'm sure they had a buyer for our original penthouse. WHAT WAS INTERESTING, THOUGH, was I swear the phone # the email directed us to call was answered as 'business development,' which would mean the decisions are all about marketing...???????????????

We were offered and took an upsell yesterday from an AE to an AA for a 15 day cruise. It was pricey, but we took it...just seems like a fun opportunity....but I too would be fried if I heard someone was just 'given' one for the same cruise. I looked and there are almost no other suites available on the cruise so I'm sure they had a buyer for our original penthouse. WHAT WAS INTERESTING, THOUGH, was I swear the phone # the email directed us to call was answered as 'business development,' which would mean the decisions are all about marketing...???????????????

Could be partially Marketing. The suites will spoil you and maybe you will book one next time. (I mis-spoke in my previous email - if anyone cares - we went from an AF to an AB). Could be revenue driven - getting 50% for a higher level cabin is better than if it sails empty. Plus, the butlers depend on the tips.

Archived