Pride Help

luvofthecruise

I am planning a family vacation for next summer and Baltimore port is so close that it would be crazy not to leave from there. My only problem is I cannot get excited about the Pride. I have cruise on Glory and Valor but the Pride looks dark and dreary. Help without flaming please. :(

I am planning a family vacation for next summer and Baltimore port is so close that it would be crazy not to leave from there. My only problem is I cannot get excited about the Pride. I have cruise on Glory and Valor but the Pride looks dark and dreary. Help without flaming please. :(

I would call it not light and Victorian? There are a lot of browns and cream whites.

Let me see if I can find some pictures of what I mean.

Also she is going into Dry Dock in November. So she will be cleaned up.

We sailed on the Carnival Miracle (same class/type of ship) this past summer. Not dark at all. Actually in some areas reminds me of Las Vegas...over the top decorations and lighting. Fun to look at!

Is it true that the Pride is getting a thorough retrofit in dry dock over the winter? We cruise on the Pride in late Februaury...would be awesome to be on a "new" ship.

Really, the only thing dreary about her is the itinerary. I'm getting ready to sail her yet again, and I can't wait. Besides the Destiny (2x), I've only sailed on Carnival's Spirit Class ships. I would love to try one of the newer, bigger models, but until then the Pride and her Baltimore departure serve me quite well. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised. The only difference that notice is that the demographic seems to be very much Maryland/New Jersey/Virginia/Pennsylvania, whereas Florida departures are more diverse. But since you're from around here, you should feel right at home!

I've only sailed on the Pride so I can't really compare.

However, I didn't get a dreary vibe from the ship at all. It's beautiful!

The mermaid grille has really pretty hues of blue. . .

The Taj Mahal lounge was light with multi colored glass tiles. . .

I think my favorite was the Starry Nights. . .it is a bit dark, but soooo neat!

Really, the only thing dreary about her is the itinerary. I'm getting ready to sail her yet again, and I can't wait. Besides the Destiny (2x), I've only sailed on Carnival's Spirit Class ships. I would love to try one of the newer, bigger models, but until then the Pride and her Baltimore departure serve me quite well. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised. The only difference that notice is that the demographic seems to be very much Maryland/New Jersey/Virginia/Pennsylvania, whereas Florida departures are more diverse. But since you're from around here, you should feel right at home!

We really enjoyed the Pride, but you're right about the tired itin's...That's why we snached up one of the Bermuda special cruises next year.:)

Mike

Well I've only sailed out of Florida before on Glory and Valor so this will be a new experience and I do live in the DC area but originally from TN. I was more concerned about the decor. I'm not a prude by any means but a 15 yr old boy (probably will appreciate the "art" haha), 13 yr old girl and 11 yr old boy just has me a bit worried but nothing that can't be fixed.

Aknot -- Thanks for the pictures. That's what I was talking about. haha. Hmmm. I just know this is the best option but gosh I can't stand the decorations or art..at least not with the kids. Oh well. I know they have seen worse on t.v. (not suppose to but I know they have) so we will muddle thru. Thanks!

We just sailed on the Pride last week, and while we had a fun cruise (I'd have fun on ANY cruise ship,) the Pride was a disappointment. It's dark and ugly (sorry, no flaming please) and it was hard to get excited about most aspects of that ship. You can read my review (posted under KeywestK) in the Member Review section of CC.

Since you live near the Port of Baltimore, do yourself a favor and book RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas. RCCL delivers, IMO, a much better product, and the ship is beautiful! We've sailed on her twice, and plan to take advantage of her being in Baltimore and sail on her again. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great cruise, and enjoy sailing out of Baltimore. That piece of it can't be beat!:)

I've been on the Pride and the Glory and definitely prefer the Glory. I agree with the others that it's not dark and dreary. For me, it's more that I dislike the layout, but there are some that like it better. I'd be a little hesitant about the "art" with that age of boys, but yeah, if they have MTV then the damage is done. :eek:

The Steakhouse on the Pride is the best I've had so far, if you're into that.

Whatever you decide... enjoy! Any cruise is a great cruise!

While Pride wasn't my favorite ship (I'm a fan of Conquest-class ships), I didn't find it dark or dreary. I thought the Normandie Dining Room was very elegant and the Promenade deck areas were nicely laid out. The Supper Club, with the two stories and funnel skylight, is much nicer than the supper club spaces on Conquest-class ships. And we really enjoyed sailing down the Chesapeake from Baltimore.

As for the artwork - we sailed with 14 and 10 YO boys, and they seemed to regard it as "museum stuff" - i.e., boring.

I agree that the winter itinerary of PC, Nassau and Freeport isn't great. That's why we booked a summer cruise, so we could go to Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport instead. And as much as I had heard lousy things about Freeport, we had a great time at Paradise Cove. Just don't plan on staying right by the port - aside from some shops and restaurants, there's nothing there.

Well I've only sailed out of Florida before on Glory and Valor so this will be a new experience and I do live in the DC area but originally from TN. I was more concerned about the decor. I'm not a prude by any means but a 15 yr old boy (probably will appreciate the "art" haha), 13 yr old girl and 11 yr old boy just has me a bit worried but nothing that can't be fixed.

Please don't worry about your kids! It's art - they're reproductions of Italian art by artists like Titian, not reproductions of Playboy centerfolds. I don't think it's anything harmful for an 11, 13 and 15 year old to see. Surely, living in the DC area, you've taken your kids to the Smithsonian to see some art? It's no worse than anything you'll see in a museum, I assure you, and after the first time the kids see it, they probably won't even pay attention to it again.

Frankly, I thought the decor was a welcome change from the usual garish neon tubes and flashing lights.

The decor is muted and comfortable, sort like Joe Farcus being hired to do a businessman's club. I like the oversize reproductions everywhere; they are a change of pace for a dedicated Carnivalite. Baltimore is a great port with wonderful service.

Doc

Sailed her last week for the second time. I think she's lovely. I'm hoping to cruise the Miracle to Bermuda and am worried about losing my appetite due to the pink discs hanging all over the dining room on her :eek:.

I realize some people feel the Pride is dark and dreary, but I just think she's understated. There is plenty of sunlight that comes in during the day, and at night she looks elegant, a nice backdrop for those who like to dress up (not me, but it was nice to see everyone else.)

Actually, we were so busy we really didn't notice much of the decor most of the time, but there are a lot of places with splashes of color (Butterflies, for example.) How much time does one actually spend in the atrium anyway? (Which I happen to think is beautiful.) I guess it's just a matter of taste or what one is used to.

There are definitely areas of the ship that are dark--the Mermaid grille especially seemed dark to me. I'm sure there will be some giggles and pointing from the younger kids due to the decor--the gigantic statue of David in all his "glory" upstairs in the supper club will elicit giggles from all ages! I did tire of the little naked cherubs everywhere and some of the "art" is dark in that there are alligators and tigers fighting in the midst of babies--just odd.

I found the layout to be very easy to "learn" as opposed to other ships I've been on, so it was nice not to be lost all the time.

We were so busy we really didn't pay all that much attention to the decor other than what we were stuck with in the elevators!

Have a great trip.

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I really do appreciate it. Last night my husband and I made the decision to not take the Pride out of Baltimore. We just don't like the look of the ship. Even without the kids I would have a hard time getting into a Caribbean mood with the decor. We just decided that we will travel to Charleston and take the Fantasy out for a spin. Yes the drive is about 8 to 10 hours and with kids and inlaws it will be long but we can stay an extra night in Charleston and explore when we get off the ship and visit friends that live there. The Fantasy has palm trees and bright colors...not cherubs and dark tones. I have cruised on Enchantment of the Seas before back in 2007 and loved it but with 7 of us the cost is more than what we are looking to spend.

Thanks again everyone and now I'm off to do my Fantasy research! :D

The Pride is a beautifully decorated ship and I hope you get the chance to enjoy her someday. The Fantasy was our very first sailing and we fell in love with her. Smaller than the Pride and very easy to navigate. We will be sailing her again sometime next fall. Enjoy Charleston and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I really do appreciate it. Last night my husband and I made the decision to not take the Pride out of Baltimore. We just don't like the look of the ship. Even without the kids I would have a hard time getting into a Caribbean mood with the decor. We just decided that we will travel to Charleston and take the Fantasy out for a spin. Yes the drive is about 8 to 10 hours and with kids and inlaws it will be long but we can stay an extra night in Charleston and explore when we get off the ship and visit friends that live there. The Fantasy has palm trees and bright colors...not cherubs and dark tones. I have cruised on Enchantment of the Seas before back in 2007 and loved it but with 7 of us the cost is more than what we are looking to spend.

Thanks again everyone and now I'm off to do my Fantasy research! :D

Glad you were able to come up with a plan that makes you happy and meets your needs. Charleston is a wonderful city, so beautiful, has so much to explore, and I hope you will go down there at least a couple of nights pre-cruise so you can enjoy all it has to offer. Bon voyage!!!

Please don't worry about your kids! It's art - they're reproductions of Italian art by artists like Titian, not reproductions of Playboy centerfolds. I don't think it's anything harmful for an 11, 13 and 15 year old to see. Surely, living in the DC area, you've taken your kids to the Smithsonian to see some art? It's no worse than anything you'll see in a museum, I assure you, and after the first time the kids see it, they probably won't even pay attention to it again.

Frankly, I thought the decor was a welcome change from the usual garish neon tubes and flashing lights.

Coming from someone who has spent a fortune taking my children to Italy to see these masterpieces in person, I just don't understand the concern about seeing these replicas. I would much rather have children learning to appreciate fine art than allowing them to play violent video games with guns, killing and stealing cars involved. Buy a couple of simple art books prior to the cruise and make it a learning experience and something to help pass the time until your cruise - look at the pictures, read about the artists, try to find some of the symbolism in the art, and if all that fails - let them know how much one of those real paintings or sculptures costs! That might impress them.

This is absolutely just my opinion - and I respect all others, so please - no offense intended. We have never cruised Carnival before because I thought it was all neon and bright lights, so we have selected the Pride because of the decor. That and the fact that Carnival is now offering anytime dining and leaves from Baltimore!

I understand that these are replicas of works of art and if I were taking them to a museum that would be great but we are cruising and I just want a different tone for the ship. I want a "fun" tone I guess. Just my opinion. The kids see lots of art and sculptures living here in DC so I know they could handle it. I just want a Caribbean feal to the ship and not a museum feeling. I know there are alot of people who love this ship and travel frequently on it. I'm just not one of those people. My great aunt (who's 85 now) always tells me that's why they make vanilla and chocolate. haha

I also like the idea of Charleston. I love Charleston and I have friends and family there so this is a good excuse to go visit too.

Archived