Biodegradable sunscreen for Western Caribbean

Paramour007

Does anyone know if biodegradable sunscreen is required for Tequila Beach in Costa Maya and Mr. Sanchos is Cozumel? We heard that in some of the eco-parks and beaches they are confiscating your sunscreen if it is not biodegradable. Please help, we're heading out on the EPIC in November and definately are sunscreen users!

I can't answer you as to whether or not it's required, but I would recommend you use it anyway. Sunscreen is lethal to coral and the sealife you see while snorkeling, when there's hundreds of people in the water snorkeling in one small area, you can only imagine how much sunscreen is actually getting in the water. Right now our reef systems are in peril and can use all the help they can get, even if it is by just one family switching their sunscreen.

Besides, sunscreens that don't come off the body as easy are not only better for your skin but they work faster too. I think it's a wise investment.

I can't answer you as to whether or not it's required, but I would recommend you use it anyway. Sunscreen is lethal to coral and the sealife you see while snorkeling, when there's hundreds of people in the water snorkeling in one small area, you can only imagine how much sunscreen is actually getting in the water. Right now our reef systems are in peril and can use all the help they can get, even if it is by just one family switching their sunscreen.

Besides, sunscreens that don't come off the body as easy are not only better for your skin but they work faster too. I think it's a wise investment.

Any idea where we can purchase it without it costing a fortune. Found Mexitan on the internet but it's $17 for 8 ounces. But don't know of other brands, etc.

There's a brand called Caribbean Solutions, try doing a search for it, not sure how much it goes for though, but I can recommend it.

I only use it on myself and my husband but I've been using the same bottle for years. I consider it like buying organic... you have to pay more money for it but it's better for you in the long run.

We were at Discovery Cove a few weeks ago to do a swim with the dolphins. We were told not to wear our own sunscreen. They provided us with sample sizes of Panama Jack.

Google - Discovery Cove biodegradable sunscreen - there is an article with a link.

It may be too late in the year and it depends on where you live, but WF carries several different brands.

We already have ours for our December trip to the Yucatan. You can probably purchase it on site, but it might cost quite a bit more (although it is quite expensive, anyway). Good luck in your search.

Archived