Huatulco Port

maggie3

Is La Crucecita an easy walking distance from the cruise port of Huatulco? Is this area near the port authentic, or should we opt instead for a shore excursion into the mountain towns of Santa Maria and Pluma Hidalgo? Thanks for all advice.

My sister and I have been through Huatulco twice and it was wonderful. The first time we did the coffee tour and I loved seeing the mountains and it was very interesting, only thing is the drive was a bit long- I think 2 hours.

This time we took a cooking class right in Santa Cruz. It was a fun way to spend our visit. We made tortillas and other Oaxacan food and drank margaritas. The teachers, Alfredo and Vero were very informative and the class was in English. We left with a recipe booklet and gift bag. It was one of the best things we did on our vacation. The price was a little bit high ($65) but they gave us a discount for 2. The cooking school is located at Cafe Juanita, right in Santa Cruz.

We have been to Huatulco once and the crew told us that if we didn't feel like going into town the port compound itself was worthwhile spending some time. They also tipped us to the beach right next to the pier where most of them go.

The port market was brand new two years ago and is filled with shops with local goods....there is a great restaurant right on the beach with good food and is reasonable priced....there are a fair number of street vendors wandering around as well but a polite "no" moves them along, (although some the jewellery they make is worth looking at). We were there on a Sunday and found an 'open air' Catholic church offering services to all who were interested.(My wife is a Pastor and she found it to be a delightful church to spend some time in meditation and prayer before returning to the ship.)

We found that the port area offered a quiet, non-hectic stop that is often hard to find in towns we visit.

Worth a look in our opinion.

We have been to Mexico ports many times and most were very enjoyable. I cannot say too much nice about Huatalco. I was there last week and it was very hot and the walk from the gangway to the shopping area was very long. For a person using a cane or walker it would be a BIG challenge. No wheelchair assistance from locals like we saw in Jamaica. I went specifically looking for a particular shade of fire opal earings to match a pendant and ring my wife has. I went to the ship recommended shops with a VIP card. I must have looked like I fell off the turnip truck. The big shot owner of the store took me around and found two pea size opals that were just about the color we wanted. I told him I wanted solitare mounting in 14K. He was ready to put them to work and I said, what about the price. He played with his calculator and quoted me a price of just under $1700 dollars. For the uniformed, you can get a great set of diamond stud earnings about 3/4 carat each for that price. I told him I would talk to him for 4 or 5 hundred and he lost interest in me. I had one of his underlings try to convince me that opals are more valuable then diamonds, that I was passing up a once in a lifetime opportunity etc etc. I made the long and hot walk back to the gangway only chasing a few street vendors. I cannot comment personally on the beaches but I heard they are nice. In my opinion the prices suck compared to Cabo, PV or Matzatlan or even Jamaica where we picked up fire opal inlad in a decorative 14K setting for $375.

I visited Huatulco about a year and a half ago and fell in love with it! They had golf cart-looking vehicles that transported folks to and from the ship. I took a taxi into La Crucecita only because it was hot and humid and I have asthma. It's about a mile from the dock. If anyone wants to charge you more than a buck or two, they're ripping you off. I paid $1 after some negotiation. The little town is absolutely wonderful. I spent most of the day there. There is a little town square with a park in the middle and shops surrounding the park. The park provided some shade. There was a beautiful Catholic church there, too. Hardly anyone spoke english there though. I got a beer when I really wanted a water, but the shop owner and I had a good laugh over it, plus I drank a good beer and got the water, too. The cruise port has some shops, restaraunts and an internet cafe. Also a nice church. I went back to the ship, but my friend rented a jet ski at the adjacent beach for a couple of hours and I think she said she paid $10. I would live there if I could speak Spanish!

In Huatulco the taxi rates are set - no need to haggle. Every taxi stand has a list if prices for local trips, and an hourly rate for sightseeing, etc. A taxi ride from Santa Cruz to Crucecita is 20 pesos.

It is very easy to get around in Huatulco, lots of taxis available. Yes it's hot, it's the southern Pacific coast of Mexico. If you choose to walk (we do all of the time) take lots of water and take breaks in the shade - there are lovely boulevards and benches.

Alaska - we don't speak Spanish (although we are getting better) and we have managed in Huatulco just fine over the past 5 years!

Archived