If you purchase the cruise line's insurance does your TA recieve a commission on that

stipmom

the better question is are the cruise lines polices the best bang for your buck? In most cases, no. And in the unlikely event that the cruise line goes belly up would it still pay? I got caught in that one time and lost. And if you use other insurance you can cover such things as air fare even if its not booked through the ship.

Try insuremytrip.com and make an informed choice.

the better question is are the cruise lines polices the best bang for your buck? In most cases, no. And in the unlikely event that the cruise line goes belly up would it still pay? I got caught in that one time and lost. And if you use other insurance you can cover such things as air fare even if its not booked through the ship.

A very good answer. Supplier default could be an issue in this economy. A 5-6% investment is very wise these days......

jack

To answer the question, yes they do. 10%. But then, that is split with owners, etc, so on a $89 insurance cost, they get $8.90, split so far that they may only make $3 or so.:rolleyes:

However, cruise line insurance is grossly inadequate. They usually only have $10,000 in emergency medical - not nearly enough. So, if you get cruise line insurance, you need to supplement with additional medical.

Any insurance is a waste of money if it doesn't cover what you need and want. It's not the dollar amount of the medical coverage that would bother us. My insurance is more than enough and covers us world wide. However there are other things involving medical evac and transportation to the hospital of our choice. We aren't ready to lie in a hospital bed in a place we feel is inadequate. Pre existing conditions is another coverage we need. DH has borderline blood pressure. ANy fall, dizziness, head aches etc could be blamed on the blood pressure issue when filing a claim. (Whether it was the cause or not) :rolleyes:

The cruise line's insurance in most cases is not the most prudent insurance. Also, while it might be listed on your invoice, in most cases again it does not cover pre-existing conditions until it is paid in full and if it's past the required # of days in which time you have to pay for after deposit then it will not cover that either. If you need pre-existing coverage in particular, it should be figured into the cost of the trip and in fact into the price of the deposit. I had to make a $900 payment for deposit and then a few hundred for the insurance which had to be within 2 or 3 weeks so I had to figure that in with the cost of the deposit because I have pre-existing conditions.

it is important to have travel insurance, just in case if you needed to be meda vaced off the ship by helicopter. that usaully runs about 20,000 dollars. this you must pay, and your reg medical coverage does not pay for this. travel insurance does, among other things.

Most of the best TAs charge consultation fees for their entire advice on not just the cruise, but excursions, pre and post hotels and insurance and commission never enters into the picture.

NO the best ones do NOT charge and do it for the love of cruising and travel. A fee is not guarantee of experience or knowledge.

NO the best ones do NOT charge and do it for the love of cruising and travel. A fee is not guarantee of experience or knowledge.

I will only tell you what my consultant tells me, love of cruising and travel does not pay the bills. And she is excellent and one of the best. With her charges she is not bound to what operator will pay her the most commission and only has my best interests in mind.

We can just agree to disagree on this issue.

Any insurance is a waste of money if it doesn't cover what you need and want. It's not the dollar amount of the medical coverage that would bother us. My insurance is more than enough and covers us world wide. However there are other things involving medical evac and transportation to the hospital of our choice. We aren't ready to lie in a hospital bed in a place we feel is inadequate. Pre existing conditions is another coverage we need. DH has borderline blood pressure. ANy fall, dizziness, head aches etc could be blamed on the blood pressure issue when filing a claim. (Whether it was the cause or not) :rolleyes:

My family has had to use insurance more then once over the years on a cruise and the one we purchase always has come through in every situation. It depends on the one you buy and if your condition changes 3 months before purchasing it! I can see perhaps if you are on a cheap cruise with inside cabin for 400.00 per person in off season, but when our average cruises cost 2000-4000 a person we need to protect or money! and the only way is a form of insurance.

We use Royal Bank of Canada and it has come through from missing luggage to uncles heart attack while snorkling in Grand Caymen to missing a ship in San juan

As for the commission, no matter where you buy insurance or a cruise someone is making the money! If an agent helps you find the right insurance for your needs they should make money.

Absolutely.

All a fee guarantees is that they will give you some of their time

Wrong. A fee compensates a TA for their time for all of the services they provide to their client. For those who say that is want commission is for, you are wrong that is paid by the cruise line for all of the things a TA does to advice them.

All of those TAs dealing with the aftermath of the Century cancellation are no being paid extra by Celebrity. In fact they will make Zero commission or very little when the Future cruise certificate is used as that is a discount and their is no commission on discounts!

Wrong. A fee compensates a TA for their time for all of the services they provide to their client. For those who say that is want commission is for, you are wrong that is paid by the cruise line for all of the things a TA does to advice them.

All of those TAs dealing with the aftermath of the Century cancellation are no being paid extra by Celebrity. In fact they will make Zero commission or very little when the Future cruise certificate is used as that is a discount and their is no commission on discounts!

Rubbish.

They will keep the commission on the orignal booking and they will potentially get another booking from the residual of the Century cancellation

And as I said before whether you want to agree with me or not, a fee is not necessary for a client to get the best service. And the bad problems like the Century cancellation and helping the client should not be dependent on paying a fee, it should be a given. Sorry but ship happens all the time for various reasons and a good agent services the clients best interests.....period.....no fee necessary!!!

And the best travel agents are paid by their clients for all of the work they do for them. Just as with the airlines, commissions will go away from the cruiselines and those best agents who were charging fees will survive.

I cannot imagine a supplier ever deciding how much I could make much less working for free.

And the best travel agents are paid by their clients for all of the work they do for them. Just as with the airlines, commissions will go away from the cruiselines and those best agents who were charging fees will survive.

I cannot imagine a supplier ever deciding how much I could make much less working for free.

Who said airlines stopped paying commission, just not as well known as it used to be. No I wouldn't say the best ones are paid by their clients, plenty of excellent ones do it with no fees, and give the same level as service. I am thrilled that you love your TA and if you are willing to pay the fee, that is between you and them, just not required to get a great TA!

I'm glad you like your TA and are willing to pay a fee for her services but I have to agree with Sue. That fee has nothing to do with how qualified she is or how well you will fare with her expertise. If she doesn't like how much commission she makes and has to charge above and beyond that then she is in the wrong business.

I know by paying my TA fee I am not being put on a trip that pays the best commission and I know my TA works for me and not for the suppliers.

If you do not want to earn your potential go on working for the love of cruising and travel. But other good and great and the best TAs would appreciate you not saying a Good TA would never charge a fee for their advice or counsel.:confused:

I know by paying my TA fee I am not being put on a trip that pays the best commission and I know my TA works for me and not for the suppliers.

If you do not want to earn your potential go on working for the love of cruising and travel. But other good and great and the best TAs would appreciate you not saying a Good TA would never charge a fee for their advice or counsel.:confused:

No the best TA's are insulted when people suggest that they need to charge a fee to take care of their clients. You are insulting all the good hard working individuals who only are out for their clients best interests and not the almighty dollar by charging for their time. I think I know who you are, a reincarnated poster, a TA who charges for his services???, :rolleyes:

No the best TA's are insulted when people suggest that they need to charge a fee to take care of their clients. You are insulting all the good hard working individuals who only are out for their clients best interests and not the almighty dollar by charging for their time. :confused::

No I am just suggesting that a great TA be paid what they are worth and incidents like this one show why my fee only based TA is worth her weight in gold!!!

She showed me the stats of all the great TAs who are charging fees and are never dependent on the supplier for their salary.

Incidents like the Century cancellation show that commission only is not nearly enough of an hourly wage for the work the best TAs will put in to get their clients home.

She even recently attended a seminar on charging fees and explained why she does. If you want to work for less that is fine and up to you. But don't insult those who charge like the pros they are.

No I am just suggesting that a great TA be paid what they are worth and incidents like this one show why my fee only based TA is worth her weight in gold!!!

She showed me the stats of all the great TAs who are charging fees and are never dependent on the supplier for their salary.

Incidents like the Century cancellation show that commission only is not nearly enough of an hourly wage for the work the best TAs will put in to get their clients home.

She even recently attended a seminar on charging fees and explained why she does. If you want to work for less that is fine and up to you. But don't insult those who charge like the pros they are.

You "know" way too much for this to be your TA, admit that you are the TA that is charging and you have been "flagged" :D

Maybe the hourly salary doesn't cover the work getting clients home from the cancelled cruise, but the referrals in these type of cases, like the volcano issues and such are priceless.

I am in the know on this subject because I work for a large travel insurance carrier. In also use a TA and she is fee based.

I also support anyone using a TA and want them to survive and I also have access to the ASTA study showing how many are charging. I also know just how "loyal" the average person is to their TA.

You may be a great TA, but I absolutely think a TA who wants to be seen as customer based and not transaction based should be charging for their services. Do what you think is right for you but stop suggesting that only a "good" TA would never charge for their services or a change or a cancellation

Could you imagine any other profession that does not charge when thenclient makes a change or cancels a job after work has been done on it?

A pro TA is not in the travel business they are in the sales business and one should never berate a fellow colleague for wanting to earn a living while serving her clients!

I am in the know on this subject because I work for a large travel insurance carrier. In also use a TA and she is fee based.

I also support anyone using a TA and want them to survive and I also have access to the ASTA study showing how many are charging. I also know just how "loyal" the average person is to their TA.

You may be a great TA, but I absolutely think a TA who wants to be seen as customer based and not transaction based should be charging for their services. Do what you think is right for you but stop suggesting that only a "good" TA would never charge for their services or a change or a cancellation

Could you imagine any other profession that does not charge when thenclient makes a change or cancels a job after work has been done on it?

A pro TA is not in the travel business they are in the sales business and one should never berate a fellow colleague for wanting to earn a living while serving her clients!

I will when you stop suggesting that to be a good TA that you have to charge, a professional has earned the right to call themselves that with their

knowledge, not their fee schedule.

I will when you stop suggesting that to be a good TA that you have to charge, a professional has earned the right to call themselves that with their

knowledge, not their fee schedule.

Fair enough. I am saying that if they are a professional and truly a good TA they SHOULD be charging for their services. there are many that don't and I think that is shameful.

I can also share that the worst work I have ever dealt with was by someone who did it for free. Yes there are bad TAs that charge just as there are good ones that don't. There are also good and bad doctors, mechanics and painters.

I just don't understand why anyone would be a pro and do all of the wonderful things a TA does for there clients and NOT charge for it. I think most are just afraid they won't have clients. I know that my TA has a waiting list and is closed to any new clients for her business. She is customer oriented and not transactionally oriented.

Archived