Weather - NZ - January

LindaJ+

I know it's summer ... and will probably be hot on the days we're in Australia ... but is it cooler in NZ? Will I need a jacket? Does it rain much? How about on the 2-day crossing ... will it be cool on the deck of the ship?

Summers in New Zealand are usually very pleasant with temps in the 70s F (20s C) but obviously there will be exceptions above/below that. You can probably assume that it will rain at some point - that's why it's so green there! You won't need thick winter woolies but by all means take a fleece and/or lightweight raincoat. I take one of those rain 'poncho' things that I can slip over my other clothes if necessary. It packs into a small pouch and is easy to carry around.

It really depends on your point of reference. room010 is from Melbourne and it gets "cold" there I am from Florida, our cold is warmer. For reference sake the summer highs in the Dunedin area are often in the mid 60's, when raining it feels cooler (at least to the likes of me!)

We went on the Diamond Princess last January from Sydney to NZ. We are ozzies and I absolutely froze in the South Island. Milford Sound and Dunedin were particularly cold and windy, no rain, but apparently we were lucky. By the time we got to Auckland we had beautiful days, some rain but not much, and I still found the nights cool, but not freezing. I suggest you pack a light windjacket with a hood. Southern NZ was cool on deck at night, as was Tasmania.

Jen

Archived