Question about Service Charge

CruisingBears422

Actually it is the passengers responsibility. If the DSC is encorporated somehow into the cost of the cruise, the passenger will be paying their salary through higher cruise costs. No different then salary costs being incorporated into anything you buy. The store/cruiseline/company isn't going to pay their staff and not pass the cost along to the customer.

However the DSC/Tips/Hotel Service Charge or whatever it's called is how most if not all mainstream cruiselines pay their crew. It is unlikely to change unless they all agree to change as potential customers look at the cost and usually pick the cheapest price. If one cruise line adds the tips to the price their cost will appear higher than the ones that don't even though when all is said and done it will be roughly the same.

It's not quite that simple. It's been brought up before in previous discussions BUT if you incorporate that into the fare, then what would have been the service charge becomes commissionable and taxable so either we as cruisers pay more or the crew gets less. The service charge is there for a reason.

Actually it is the passengers responsibility. If the DSC is encorporated somehow into the cost of the cruise, the passenger will be paying their salary through higher cruise costs. No different then salary costs being incorporated into anything you buy. The store/cruiseline/company isn't going to pay their staff and not pass the cost along to the customer.

However the DSC/Tips/Hotel Service Charge or whatever it's called is how most if not all mainstream cruiselines pay their crew. It is unlikely to change unless they all agree to change as potential customers look at the cost and usually pick the cheapest price. If one cruise line adds the tips to the price their cost will appear higher than the ones that don't even though when all is said and done it will be roughly the same.

Yes, but what I'm saying is... don't tell people that they have to pay the DSC because it makes up the majority of the crew's salary, because most people are going to say, "I shouldn't have to pay the crew's salary. That's not my problem." Roll it into the cruise fare and it will not be questioned - tell someone that THEY are responsible for paying someone else's salary and they're going to become belligerent.

I'd like to know where you can vacation and spend less than $60 a day on food alone for 3+ meals. Then, add the $1-2 a day for the hotel maid. There's no way you could keep it under $12 a day.

As for the staff's attitude, I think you're in the minority. Most people here on CC report that NCL's staff is very welcoming, courteous and extremely helpful. I, for one, based on 9 NCL cruises, can confirm that as my experience. I'm sorry if your experience was lacking.

$60/day? by myself? EASILY. We are not the order steak and eggs, big lunch, and surf and turf for dinner every night couple.

A normal vacation day for me in a resort town on the east coast includes $10 for breakfast $0 for lunch and $20 for dinner

I just don't see how $24 a person is justified in this scenario:

we wake up, we go to great outdoors, we have the breakfast buffet.I get my own food, drinks, and silverware. The staff cleans off my table.

We go to lunch at blue lagoon, We get chicken fingers. They do server our food and drinks.

We go to dinner, Tsars palace we have oven roasted chicken or turkey or steak whatever is on the menu. They again serve our food and drinks.

With that menu for the entire day if I was a waitor I would expect no more than $11 - $12 max.

Don't think of it as a tip, think of it as what it is a service charge. The DSC comprises the majority of their salary. If your cabin is cleaned and made up then they have done their job and deserve to be paid for that job. If you have issues with the service, speak with someone (either head of housekeeping or guest services) to try to fix the problem.

By the way does the maid at the last motel 6 you stayed at make up your room twice a day?

She will if I ask her to.

All I'm saying is that if they want to tack on a service charge it should be included in the price or the cruise. Giving people the option to take it off seems like a tip.

Not always true for the food service people. Not sure what NCL does, but I do have friends that work in the dining room on another cruise line and they often have to do extra duties while in port and the dining room is closed. Things like inventory, extra cleaning, etc.

That's not something I should have to pay a service charge for. It's the job. I use to deliver pizzas back when I was in college. I didn't go around asking people for more money because I had to put the pizza box together for their order.

You must have missed it.

Yup. Sure did. The 12 dollars per person per day is just shooting out at me like a laser. Oh wait, it's still buried. It's my responsibility to go and find it along with the other charges. Some here, some there...

Put all the fees in one place, split them up whatever way you want (for tax purposes). Don't make me get out an excel spreadsheet and spend 5 hours adding up things that are spread out all over the website in big and small print. That's just do much work and makes me unhappy.

All I'm saying is that if they want to tack on a service charge it should be included in the price or the cruise. Giving people the option to take it off seems like a tip.

Let's assume you booked an inside cabin on an early December 7 night cruise, with fares around $420 or so each. Your per night fare would be $60. Adding $12 service charge would bring that to $72 per night, but also the weekly fare up to $492. What does it matter if NCL charges $420 or $492? Well, the commission they pay your agent goes up because of the additional $72, the taxes you pay go up because of the additional $72, and NCL will have to increase their fare more to make up for their loses to your travel agent and to the government.

Then when you consider the charges are doubled because most of NCL cabins assume double occupancy, that extra $144 service charge you're complaining about becomes much larger. Here NCL is trying to reduce your fares as much as legally possible, and you're asking for a 10% to 20% increase just so you can prepay all the bills for your cruise.

But you will not be prepaying for everything, and you will buy more items during your cruise; drinks, food, shore excursions, souvenirs, transportation, etc. So, the reason given to prepay everything at once we hear so often here doesn't ring true.

The real problem with the service charge lies here:

Scenario 1:

I'm a waiter in a restaurant.

You walk in, you immediately pay for your dinner and give me a nice tip.

I already having your money, chat with my friends while you need service, check on you once maybe get you a refill.

End result, if you want any of that tip back you need to go argue with my manager in public.

Scenario 2:

I'm a waiter in a restaurant.

You walk in, your order a nice dinner. I want to make money, so I give you my best service. I'm on top of your refills, I am constantly checking in, offering my services, I arrive with your food, drinks and check in a timely manner.

End Result, I get a good tip, I worked for it.

IMHO I'm not sure how this country came to the conclusion that tipping was mandatory in any way shape or form. Tipping was originally started for people who went above and beyond to bring you food or service. Those who were average didn't get anything. Restaurant staff these days always provide "average" service and always expect that 15%+ tip.

I just got off the Jewel on 10/17/2010.

I would seriously consider removing my service charge on the next cruise.

On the TV. The day before disembarkation it said that the $12/day pool got split between the room stewards and the food service staff. Room service, and any other staff were not included in the pool.

I know if we were to order the food we ordered on the cruise even tipping 20% It would not even come close to the $24 a day my wife and I spent in service charges.

From what I've gathered (unless it was just me) Unless you have a suite, (my) room stewards are detached from being personal. Aside from the mandatory duties like making towel animals and saying hi to every person on the hallway I didn't feel they did anything that a maid at the motel 6 would have done and should be evenly compensated.

IMHO most of them have the "I got the tip already" attitude.

Cheap Breakfast at a local Deli:

Ham & Cheese Omelet $6.95

Coffee $1.25

Total $8.20

X2 for both you and your wife: $16.40

20% Tip=$3.28

Cheap Lunch @ Local Restaurant

Chef Salad $11.99

Iced Tea $1.99

Total $13.98

X2 for both you and your wife: $27.96

20% Tip=$5.60

Cheap Dinner @ Applebee’s

Appetizer: $7.69

9oz House Sirloin $16.79

Desert $5.49

Iced Tea $1.99

Total $31.96

X2 for both you and your wife $63.92

20% Tip =$12.78

Total Dining Tips: $21.66

Now this $21.66 is ONLY for your waiter. And if that’s all that you eat on a cruise then you are a MINORITY. That means no apps at lunch…no desert either! That means 1 omelet at breakfast do you eat more than that? How about snacks throughout the day?

Okay say you don’t eat that much….that the $21.66 is all you need to tip your waiter well then you need to tip your room stewards who make up your room two times a day! Say you’re on the cheap side and you only tip them $1/day. Times that by 2 for both you and your wife…that’s an additional $2/day added now you’re up to $23.66.

Then you need to tip all of the people that work behind the scenes to make sure your cruise is a great time. The people that work in the laundry room, the people who clean the public areas, the junior waiters, and I could go on and on…there are A LOT of people who share in these tip pools.

$24/a day for two people for tips is a BARGIN.

I do not normally get riled up about things on these boards, but this is someone living! The daily service charge that everyone pays is a part of how these people that wait on you hand and foot while your on vacation make ends meet. Its how they can afford for their kids to have food on the table back at home. If you’re going to be cheap stay home.

Yeah, I was tracking, soda estra's, restaraunt extras etc, fuel surcharges, but must have missed the section where they decided to raise the fair. Can you provide the link. I'm sure It's right there on the main page, or where I got the costs: Here, they talk about the fuel surcharge, I'm sure that will be back before we cruise. Where is this sucker buried???

7-Day Bahamas & Florida Round-Trip New York

Ship: Norwegian Jewel

Embarkation port: New York City

Embarkation: Nov 21, 2010

Disembarkation: Nov 28, 2010

Ports of call: New York City; Orlando (Port Canaveral); Great Stirrup Cay; Nassau

View itinerary detail 1932468 16061 Number of guests: 6

Fares shown are in U.S. dollars and are per person. Government taxes, fees, and fuel supplement, (where applicable) are additional. NCL is suspending the company's fuel supplement for all voyages departing at this time. The Company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests should the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) increase above $65 per barrel. NCL may collect any fuel supplement charge in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full. Onboard service charges are additional and will be automatically added to your onboard account, and are subject to your discretion. Offers are for new reservations only, based on availability, capacity controlled, not combinable with other offers, subject to change or cancellation without notice, and may be withdrawn at any time. Other restrictions apply.

So, no-place I visited on the NCL website showed this fee. I booked through a travel agent and he did not disclose these fees. I was not made aware of this fee until I received my documents. No tomatos here, just rotten vegtables.

Not up front. Fees all over the entire web site, not in one place. Why? To make it easier for someone to figure out what the trip will cost? I think not. And don't try to make it the PAX fault that we didn't know about it. Other companies go to great lenghts to put all the costs in one place to avoid confusion. NCL did not.

My point to you is that you paid for tipping on your previous cruise. Why would you then assume that a similar amount should not be budgeted for on your next cruise (regardless of cruise line). Whether it's called tipping or a daily service charge, it adds up to the same amount. Once you were interested in an NCL cruise, it's extremely easy to find the $12 DSC on NCL's web site FAQs. Here's the link:

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19262

Once all mainstream cruise lines include the tip amount (or DSC) in their fares, NCL will do the same, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that day.

Cheap Breakfast at a local Deli:

Ham & Cheese Omelet $6.95

Coffee $1.25

Total $8.20

X2 for both you and your wife: $16.40

20% Tip=$3.28

Cheap Lunch @ Local Restaurant

Chef Salad $11.99

Iced Tea $1.99

Total $13.98

X2 for both you and your wife: $27.96

20% Tip=$5.60

Cheap Dinner @ Applebee’s

Appetizer: $7.69

9oz House Sirloin $16.79

Desert $5.49

Iced Tea $1.99

Total $31.96

X2 for both you and your wife $63.92

20% Tip =$12.78

Total Dining Tips: $21.66

Now this $21.66 is ONLY for your waiter. And if that’s all that you eat on a cruise then you are a MINORITY. That means no apps at lunch…no desert either! That means 1 omelet at breakfast do you eat more than that? How about snacks throughout the day?

Okay say you don’t eat that much….that the $21.66 is all you need to tip your waiter well then you need to tip your room stewards who make up your room two times a day! Say you’re on the cheap side and you only tip them $1/day. Times that by 2 for both you and your wife…that’s an additional $2/day added now you’re up to $23.66.

Then you need to tip all of the people that work behind the scenes to make sure your cruise is a great time. The people that work in the laundry room, the people who clean the public areas, the junior waiters, and I could go on and on…there are A LOT of people who share in these tip pools.

$24/a day for two people for tips is a BARGIN.

I do not normally get riled up about things on these boards, but this is someone living! The daily service charge that everyone pays is a part of how these people that wait on you hand and foot while your on vacation make ends meet. Its how they can afford for their kids to have food on the table back at home. If you’re going to be cheap stay home.

We drink water. - $8

We only order the appetizer on the ship due to small dinner portions - $16 (we would never order two appetizers at Applebees yet you assumed we would)

We don't order dessert @ restaurants - $-11

That puts your tipping total down to $14.66 for the day and we normally don't eat lunch, I let you keep it there because I assume most do.

FYI I did eat 1 omelet for breakfast along with a few hash browns and some toast.

$2/day seems reasonable for the guy who makes the bed. $16.66

Here is where the road splits. The people who do the laundry, janitors, and anyone else who doesn't serve me directly do not deserve a tip. Do they get a tip anywhere else? No. Why is a cruise ship different? Anywhere else these people make minimum wage and I would expect nothing less out of NCL. Blame the company if they don't pay them enough don't blame me.

I really think people who protest the service charge on NCL ships should think about a different kind of vacation. The charge is there. You're aware of it. If you don't like it, move on and find something else to do. If you are getting a level of service that doesn't justify the tip, let the hotel director know so they can address the problem immediately.

Just for the record, I did just get off the Jewel on 10/17 and we did pay the $12 service charge per person per day.

Did I think it was warranted or justified? No.

Am I the one to go to the front desk and be publicly humiliated because the service was not on par with the charge? No.

Like I said earlier. Service starts to lack when people think that they already have the money in their pockets.

We drink water. - $8

We only order the appetizer on the ship due to small dinner portions - $16 (we would never order two appetizers at Applebees yet you assumed we would)

We don't order dessert @ restaurants - $-11

That puts your tipping total down to $14.66 for the day and we normally don't eat lunch, I let you keep it there because I assume most do.

FYI I did eat 1 omelet for breakfast along with a few hash browns and some toast.

$2/day seems reasonable for the guy who makes the bed. $16.66

Here is where the road splits. The people who do the laundry, janitors, and anyone else who doesn't serve me directly do not deserve a tip. Do they get a tip anywhere else? No. Why is a cruise ship different? Anywhere else these people make minimum wage and I would expect nothing less out of NCL. Blame the company if they don't pay them enough don't blame me.

Okay lets go with your figures…you never once drank a cup of coffee on the ship or drank iced tea….you didn’t order extra food….okay lets go with that. Your being charged $24 and your saying you should only have to pay $16.66. That’s $7.34/day difference for two people no less. You think that it’s the cruise line’s responsibility to pay the extra people. But the thing is the cruise line counts on the $12/day as part of the extra crew’s salary. Whether you feel like that is right or wrong regardless…that is the way it is. And knowing that…it makes it your responsibility. And if you really really feel that strongly about not giving the people who bust their butts the tips they deserve then don’t……but remember karma’s a boomerang and if I were you I seriously hope you never need to count on the generosity of others!

Am I the one to go to the front desk and be publicly humiliated because the service was not on par with the charge? No.

What's humiliating about bringing service issues to the attention of management. Most mangers would rather hear about the issues and have the chance to resolve it, than people not say anything until they get home and tell their friends.

As long as you are presenting yourself in a reasonable manner (ie no ranting and raving over silly things like the hard orange cushions on the bed or the fact that the show was so crowded you had to sit in the back etc) I would think most people wouldn't even notice what's going on at the reception desk. And if someone overhears? So what? You shouldn't be embarassed to discuss the level of service onboard if there's a problem.

Okay lets go with your figures…you never once drank a cup of coffee on the ship or drank iced tea….you didn’t order extra food….okay lets go with that. Your being charged $24 and your saying you should only have to pay $16.66. That’s $7.34/day difference for two people no less. You think that it’s the cruise line’s responsibility to pay the extra people. But the thing is the cruise line counts on the $12/day as part of the extra crew’s salary. Whether you feel like that is right or wrong regardless…that is the way it is. And knowing that…it makes it your responsibility. And if you really really feel that strongly about not giving the people who bust their butts the tips they deserve then don’t……but remember karma’s a boomerang and if I were you I seriously hope you never need to count on the generosity of others!

No, No, No. It is not their salary. Salary is what is paid to employees by it's employer.

A "tip" is a monetary reward from one person to another for providing good service.

Straight from the NCL site:

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

I would be willing to bet that not all $12 of that charge makes it to their pockets.

I go to work every day and I bust my butt to provide fast and timely service to all customer requests for some BIG companies. I don't get any tips or service charges included in my salary. As I work in a data center with many major companies as customers I expect you all to paypal me a service charge for keeping these sites and companies online. Don't delay. Don't forget to tip the guy who helped you @ best buy when you go there later either. He worked hard to sell you that TV and make sure you have everything you need. You should also send in a tip with your monthly utility bill for the people who process your payment.

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

I would be willing to bet that not all $12 of that charge makes it to their pockets.

You lose that bet. The DSC is applied 100 percent to the benefit of the crew. Don't question me about where I got the information, because I won't answer.

No, No, No. It is not their salary. Salary is what is paid to employees by it's employer.

A "tip" is a monetary reward from one person to another for providing good service.

Straight from the NCL site:

I go to work every day and I bust my butt to provide fast and timely service to all customer requests for some BIG companies. I don't get any tips or service charges included in my salary. As I work in a data center with many major companies as customers I expect you all to paypal me a service charge for keeping these sites and companies online. Don't delay. Don't forget to tip the guy who helped you @ best buy when you go there later either. He worked hard to sell you that TV and make sure you have everything you need. You should also send in a tip with your monthly utility bill for the people who process your payment.

Tell you what. You cut your "salary" in half and I'm sure the folks here would gladly send you a few bucks as a tip.

What you're missing here is the concept of a compensation plan. I'm on strict salary. I don't get paid per hour, or any tips, or any service charge for my work. I work with sales reps that have the majority of their income in the form of commission. Waiters and waitresses have small guaranteed wages but rely on tips to make a living wage. The folks at the utility company and Best Buy have their own compensation plans, which do not include tips. You're just comparing apples to oranges. The compensation for several groups of cruise employees is made up of a salary plus service fee. It's not rocket science.

That's not something I should have to pay a service charge for. It's the job. I use to deliver pizzas back when I was in college. I didn't go around asking people for more money because I had to put the pizza box together for their order.

I'm not sure I understand your post. My point was regarding food staff having time off while in port and the dining room was closed and that isn't always the case as they may have to do other duties that would prevent them from leaving the ship. My post had nothing to do with the DSC.

IMHO I'm not sure how this country came to the conclusion that tipping was mandatory in any way shape or form. Tipping was originally started for people who went above and beyond to bring you food or service. Those who were average didn't get anything. Restaurant staff these days always provide "average" service and always expect that 15%+ tip.

It became mandatory when cheap SOBs by the 100s left no tips since they would never see the same wait staff again and it was imposible to tip at the end of the cruise with the traditional envelope. :mad::mad::mad:

Boy do I hate these threads every week when they resurface. If anyone has a problem with the $12 service charge choose another vacation option. It is that simple.

Archived