Triumph Oct. 11 Hurricane Paula mini review

This won't be a day by day review with a lot of pics though I will try to post some!

When I lost my Dad in an accident five years ago...I started thinking about all the things I would do "one day" and decided that "one day" is never promised. The JSCruise was born. (So named because our emphasis is hanging with our buds and doing "jack" for 5 days;)). Every year, we put the word out and cruise in October. We have 3 original cruisers from the first year and every year have added a few and dropped a few but a good time is always had by all and we all become fast friends.

There were 10 of us this year. Eight of us arrived in New Orleans on Saturday. We stayed at The Frenchman in Marigny, a small neighborhood near the French Market. We LOVED this quaint B&B. Beautiful and quirky and very convenient to the Quarter. I had been concerned about walking to and from the Quarter from Marigny at night but it was a short jaunt and we felt pretty secure.

Okay, I've tried to post 2 pics, lets see what this looks like!

794382236_JSCV070.jpg.a3b236a8ca5fb172018ab97e37440bfc.jpg

1647287972_JSCV099.jpg.cba8fa213ac6b78307ea60e09df70a4a.jpg

Okay, I reckon thumb nails will work!

A good time was had by all in 'nawlins! We got to the ship around noon, embarkation took about 45 minutes and we were entertained by a group of young man who were surprised to learn that they couldn't take those 12 packs of Corona onboard so started passing them out in line.;)

I picked up a tip from CC and sure enough, all 10 of us met by the Pizzeria AFT ship and there were just a handful of people there! We all had hot pizza and a DOD and toasted the JSCV!

I'm going to try to remember the proper names of locations and such but it's gonna be hit or miss.;)

We were told when checking in that our cabins were ready and here is what I had been waiting on all year! Four of us had booked AFT balconies. Our very first balconies and because of CC, I had known to book the SECRET AFT BALCONY 8435!!!!!!! It was all I dreamed it would be! As you may know, this is the AFT balcony right next to the wrap and it's 1/3 deeper and 1/3 wider than the other AFT's and at the same price. Our buds were right next door and we really enjoy the adjoining balconies. We had gone promptly to Guest Services (as per CC, of course!) and asked to have our balcony divider opened.

1825014824_JSCV100.jpg.124dd92b564dc8a840c7824b3ed28efe.jpg

278058393_JSCV097.jpg.ee9798b854db5a43667a52ca29266a48.jpg

2112359033_JSCV120.jpg.7b72f3076e0f283dc428c8d342968b64.jpg

Here's where my review is less interesting. While the rest of my gang enjoyed various activities, I sat on the back of the ship during the day, took naps in the afternoon, sat on my balcony, had dinner in the dining room and watched some Karaoke and dancing in the dance club. My buds enjoyed Bingo, the Hairy Chest contest, the art auction and wandering the ship. I cruise to hang out with my friends and sit in the sun with a fruity drink and care less about entertainment. Sorry:p.

I've sailed the Fascination, Sensation, Fantasy and Holiday. The JSCruisers have sailed Fantasy and Holiday. Here's what we liked and disliked about the Triumph and please understand that I'm sure YOUR experience may differ for one reason or another.:D

Likes and dislikes:

I LOVE being AFT. We were on Veranda 8. Up the elevator to Lido and we were on the AFT area with the burger grill and pizzeria. Up the stairs and we were on the back of the ship in a nice quiet area for sunning and chatting. The drink waiters were hit or miss. We'd sometimes go for hours without seeing one (fortunately, the bar is just a flight down!) and sometimes there would be 3 or 4. Interestingly enough, one of the waiters told us he was hoping to be a bartender as they make more. However, he said the bad thing was they had long shifts where is drink waiters could work whenever they wanted. Apparently, the first sea day they all slept in;).

The AFT hot tub didn't work the first two days. I got in a main LIDO tub one day and it was hardly luke warm so I never even tried to get in another. Not a big deal, just an observation.

We weren't crazy about the design of the Triumph. While she's a bigger ship than we have sailed, we didn't see an advantage to the size. We all prefer the Fantasy, we really missed the Serenity Deck.

More later if you're interested in my meandering!

Oh, and we did miss a port and ended up going to Key West instead of Coz or Progreso. But, that's another stowry!

Yes please keep in coming. We have the AFT on The Magic when she comes to Galveston and I can not to wait try get it. Of course my first AFT will be this February on another cruiseline so I will be looking forward to comparing the two different AFTS.

Keep it coming!!!!

Okay!:D

So, as I meander....

from what we HEARD from OTHERS onboard....ah hem...various and sundry alcoholic beverages made it in checked luggage into cabins.;) Said beverages were in water bottles, some in original bottles. My bottle of wine was in my carry on, along with a half gallon of cranberry juice. I had heard that they might pour out opened bottles of any beverage so was prepared that I would lose mine which had been opened. The girl at the x-ray machine asked "What's in the jug?", I told her and went on my merry way. So, as far as smuggling...I think it's pretty much what I figured...it's hit or miss, no matter how you try to get it onboard.

We all enjoyed the dining room. I have to say that I think the food is rarely exceptional but I enjoy the experience and the variety. I especially enjoy the soups, never met a Carnival soup I didn't like! Even if I get something that I don't care for, I've had enough to eat to feed a family of four so I just move on! We were disappointed in the beef selections. Despite asking for med rare, steaks were always served well done except for one night when one ordered "rare" and got medium which was much better than well done.:p Yes, we could have sent it back, got something else yada yada but again, it was no big deal and we never went away hungry! We loved our wait staff and for the FIRST year, did more than tolerate the "dining entertainment". It's also the first time we have tipped the maitre de, Paul. He kept us in stitches with his droll wit and flirtations every night! Despite keeping us entertained, we could see him carefully watching all the staff to ensure that things went smoothly. Now, the singing waiters, we all dread but THIS cruise, oh, my! Standing on the wait tables and dancing to "Shawty Got Low" and other such tunes was about the cutest thing we have ever seen on a cruise. Our waiter, Roderick, was most precious and had some moves that kept us thoroughly entertained!

Pizza was hot and yummy, always, Deli sandwiches were very good and the Noodle bar thingee selections were quite tasty. I don't do the buffet so can't comment on that.

Room service selections were not much to write home about and there were two occasions, around 2 pm the first sea day and mid morning another when I couldn't even get them on the line to take an order. But, we enjoyed what we ordered and the service was pretty prompt when we were able to order. Again...we ain't going hungry!

Yes please keep in coming. We have the AFT on The Magic when she comes to Galveston and I can not to wait try get it. Of course my first AFT will be this February on another cruiseline so I will be looking forward to comparing the two different AFTS.

We just loved this cabin! I have to say, though the outside temp was around 75, it was HOT on the balcony during the day! I wondered what it would be like mid summer! On the upper deck, there was a nice breeze...well, a pretty stiff breeze but nice but there wasn't a bit of breeze on the balcony. We did enjoy mornings and evenings and pulling in and out of port from the balcony though. It was about $150 more than the OV cabins our friends had but I think it was worth it.

Archived